Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I hope everyone had a great Easter, as good as it could be anyway with all this craziness going on.

I wanted to just share my incredible MPG experience with my 2016 CR-V with 85,400 miles on her. I recently purchased the car used with 80k on it and have loved the car and it's my first Honda!

My fiance picked up my little brother on Friday so we could spend the weekend together. He lives in Bend Oregon and I'm in Eugene Oregon about 112 miles away.

I drove to bend and back today to drop him off and boy is the crv a fun car to drive. If you haven't made this drive before.. very windy roads and ever increasing elevation until you reach the peak over the santiam pass about 5,000 miles above sea level(from 300-400 in Eugene)

Now that is hard for any car to get good MPG and have enough power to go a consistent speed and pass others etc... the car did all of this perfectly! I did drive rather fast the way there... averaged about 29 MPG.. I reset my trip on the way back and averaged 36.4MPG!!!

I'm running Premium gasoline (92 octane in my state) solely for the purpose of I believe the car runs better on it and with the higher compression ratio and GDI engine it cant hurt right?

Anyway here are some pics... ( you can see my neighbors older crv in the back right!)thought I'd share!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi Everyone! I hope everyone had a great Easter, as good as it could be anyway with all this craziness going on.

I wanted to just share my incredible MPG experience with my 2016 CR-V with 85,400 miles on her. I recently purchased the car used with 80k on it and have loved the car and it's my first Honda!

My fiance picked up my little brother on Friday so we could spend the weekend together. He lives in Bend Oregon and I'm in Eugene Oregon about 112 miles away.

I drove to bend and back today to drop him off and boy is the crv a fun car to drive. If you haven't made this drive before.. very windy roads and ever increasing elevation until you reach the peak over the santiam pass about 5,000 miles above sea level(from 300-400 in Eugene)

Now that is hard for any car to get good MPG and have enough power to go a consistent speed and pass others etc... the car did all of this perfectly! I did drive rather fast the way there... averaged about 29 MPG.. I reset my trip on the way back and averaged 36.4MPG!!!

I'm running Premium gasoline (92 octane in my state) solely for the purpose of I believe the car runs better on it and with the higher compression ratio and GDI engine it cant hurt right?

Anyway here are some pics... ( you can see my neighbors older crv in the back right!)thought I'd share!!
The difference in going up and coming down is not surprising - great!

However, consider one of the fixed parameters in the computer computations for spark, injector, and cam timing is fuel burn rate. Octane in fuel is to slow the burn rate to prevent detonation. Your car depends on the knock sensor for those and higher octane gas is unlikely to help. I tried several higher Octane gasoline's in my '10 during the Hesitation debacle and it ran worse with poor mileage with them all.

I would like to see a test of that same route with same temperature and humidity with 87 fuel. I suspect it will be even better?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The difference in going up and coming down is not surprising - great!

However, consider one of the fixed parameters in the computer computations for spark, injector, and cam timing is fuel burn rate. Octane in fuel is to slow the burn rate to prevent detonation. Your car depends on the knock sensor for those and higher octane gas is unlikely to help. I tried several higher Octane gasoline's in my '10 during the Hesitation debacle and it ran worse with poor mileage with them all.

I would like to see a test of that same route with same temperature and humidity with 87 fuel. I suspect it will be even better?
Yes absolutely!

I'd be curious to see the results also, with this whole virus situation I'm not driving as ofter however I may make another trip to bend in the next few weeks. I'll run regular and post my results on the trip there and back too see if there is a difference. May be hard to have same weather conditions however I dont think it's out of the realm of possibility being it's almost summer time.

I've seen posts on this forum of data showing the ECM modifying the timing based on premium and regular and my owners manual says 87 octane or higher so that also must be an indicator the computer can modify timing some for premium. I say screw it since gas is cheap, very cheap right now!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
The energy amount in regular and premium is the same. You can't get better mileage out of premium in an engine designed for regular.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
That is excellent fuel mileage! But, I would expect it to be pretty derned good, since, at 5,000 miles above sea level, there would be no wind resistance. I guess the pressurized cabin worked well too.

Just kidding. :) But it's not my fault, it was there, I had to say it.

·
Registered
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,016 Posts
I'm glad that you are enjoying your CRV so much. These are excellent vehicles no doubt. Keep up up with oil and oil filter changes and the CVT fluid changes and you will be fine.

·
Read Only
217 Posts

Premium gas does one thing only for you: it takes more money out of your pocket. See this article and this article.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Glad to read you are pleased with great MPGs of your CRV.

For a "run about" vehicle, my wife went from a Vibe (1.8L) to a 2014 CRV (2.4L) and found our CRV is harder on MPGs. Yes - harder / compared to our Vibe. But compared to our Tow Vehicle (3.6L with Tow Gearing), the CRV gets much better MPGs. And when our CRV is loaded down with people and onboard cargo,the CRV gets harder MPGs - when compared to our empty Tow Vehicle. For real number MPGs of each vehicle, I guess it all depends what we compare our CRV against and if empty or loaded down with weight. These are the real MPG numbers.

I do know our CRV has a smaller size gas tank (compared to our many historical vehicles) and I find we need to fill it more often / since we don't like using its below 1/4 tank. But, we only put $35+ in it - compared to our Tow Vehicle that takes $60+ at a time. Ouch!

For me, I'm not a fan of Premium (93 octane) in normal stock engines either. And, I'm not a fan of 87 Octane (which contains diluted ethanol mix) as well. For all my gas engines, I focus more on non-ethonal gas - which is often 91 Octane. Especially since our vehicles (and small engines) can sit for months and months. Less ethanol dilution in our engines the better..... But, this is a discussion under a different thread. Ouch!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts