Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently moved to a mountainous area of Ireland (not really proper mountains, hills really). Last winter we couldn't get up the roads in our regular 2wd car (we didn't even try, ice and a bit of snow). So I'm in the market for a vehicle that will get me up a sometimes slippery mountain road.

The CR-V seems to be loved by owners, but I'm wondering if the extra off road capability of the Freelander is worth it. I've read mixed reports about Freelanders. I'd be looking at a 2003 - 2005 model.

Any opinions on CR-V vs Freelander.

Thanks
T

·
Registered
148 Posts
Any opinions on CR-V vs Freelander
T
My V has performed well during the past 5 winters with a mix of heavy snow storms snow drifts, ice and rain. The OEM Duelers had more traction than the Michelin X I put on for better handling mpg but the V still performed well with this slight handicap. The Freelander has a more rugged 4WD system but the overall vehicle reliability is the concern for me. Take a test drive in a V on a snowy day to get a better feel for the RT4WD system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took a test drive today and was happy with the car. There was no snow about unfortunately and I don't think I can wait.

When I asked the dealer if it was RTAWD he said all models were RTAWD, he said there was no 2WD option. I don't know if this is correct, maybe only in europe. The vin starts with SHSRD87604. Does RD mean it's AWD, have googled but most sites talk about RD1, RD2, RD3. No RD8. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks
T

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mate, I'm a huge fan of the CRv but every review I've ever read says that in it's class the Freelander beats it hands down off road, or in challenging conditions. The CRv is classified as a 'soft roader'.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts