Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Purchased my CRV 100 miles from my home via an internet email exchange. Showed up went like this..... Finance guy....why are you paying cash ie no loan for the CRV I can give you a great deal on the loan. Because I can ( I drove a company supplied car for 36 years and just retired and getting a car was part of the retirement plan) I can give you a great deal on HondaCare oh great yea 8 year, 120k $0 detectable for $2500 really I can get it for $1100 if you can match it we have a deal. NO way you can get it for $1100 yea I can here is the email quote .....we were done with him!! Was a fun time with the finance guy:kaboom

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Purchased my CRV 100 miles from my home via an internet email exchange. Showed up went like this..... Finance guy....why are you paying cash ie no loan for the CRV I can give you a great deal on the loan. Because I can ( I drove a company supplied car for 36 years and just retired and getting a car was part of the retirement plan) ...
Well, rates are 1.9% right now. Are your investments worse than that? A 3yr CD is paying over 3%.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I filled that out when we got our CRV.
Such a good idea for Honda and our salesman did walkthrough before we left the dealer.
In our past honda/acura purchases we never got a sheet just the droning features quickly when you're exhausted from the dealer and just want to leave
I agree. My dealer did in fact walk us through this checksheet on both my 2017 CRV and my 2018 Accord, asking us what settings we would like and then took the worksheet to the prep-team to set everything. My wife likes a lot of features, whereas I am more of a minimalist... and the dealer happily set things up exactly as we requested.

I seem to recall when I got a post sale survey from Honda, they even asked if this process was done by the dealer.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
It's not just about rates. Why carry debt when you don't have to? For me personally, I endeavor never to put money in a banks pocket if at all possible. It's a thing of principle for me :)

Besides, if you can actually write a check for a new car, then you clearly have plenty of liquidity for short term (ie: within 6-12 months) needs in the event of emergencies, etc. As for investments vs interest rates trade-offs, meh... my total portfolio of investments makes the purchase price of a new auto look like mice parts.

But you know what.. this is precisely why they let you buy a car for cash, or carry financing... different things for different peoples needs. So everyone can get what they want in any transaction.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Purchased my CRV 100 miles from my home via an internet email exchange. Showed up went like this..... Finance guy....why are you paying cash ie no loan for the CRV I can give you a great deal on the loan. Because I can ( I drove a company supplied car for 36 years and just retired and getting a car was part of the retirement plan) I can give you a great deal on HondaCare oh great yea 8 year, 120k $0 detectable for $2500 really I can get it for $1100 if you can match it we have a deal. NO way you can get it for $1100 yea I can here is the email quote .....we were done with him!! Was a fun time with the finance guy:kaboom
LOL.. yeah.... been there, done that.

Clearly they get an incentive for every financing cycle they can get. Same for extended warranties. Personally though, I go with HondaCare (even though it is more expensive) as it makes it completely seamless with Honda on any warranty issues with your vehicle. I used to never bother with extended warranties, but in recent years with all the various technology subsystems, it really does make sense. One major subsystem failure past the MFG warranty and a HondaCare warranty pays for itself if you keep your cars longer like I do (8-10 years) And.. /knock-on-wood... if you never need it, you slept better at night knowing you had it if you needed it. :)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I'm not even sure Cashier's Checks are necessary anymore. With today's banking systems, at least in the US, any dealer can verify and probably electronically debit and deposit your personal check in a matter of minutes. I have used personal checks when buying my vehicles for at least the last 10 years. In fact in more than one case, I asked the dealer to hold the check (and they happily complied) for a couple of days so I could transfer funds from a savings account to cover the check.
It may vary by dealer...

... that said... I have bought every vehicle in the last 20 years using a personal check. The dealers can electronically verify you have the funds needed, and besides.. when you sign the contract it stipulates that they have the right to repossess the vehicle if your check does not clear.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts