Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil in my sister's 2015 CR-V Touring last weekend. Of course she didn't bother to read the maintenance minder until I was through with the oil change to find out that I have to change the rear-differential fluid. So it seems as simple, remove the fill bolt, remove the drain bolt, put new washers on and add 2.78 quarts to the fill valve. I bought a Plews 55001 pump off of Amazon. Is there anything else I need to worry about? I've changed transmission fluid in my older Hondas but they were all automatics and I filled them up from the dipstick hole. The rear differential is similar to what is seen on manual transmissions. I was kind of surprised that at 13,000 miles we have to change this. Is this typical of how frequently it will need to be changed?

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
784 Posts
I changed the oil in my sister's 2015 CR-V Touring last weekend. Of course she didn't bother to read the maintenance minder until I was through with the oil change to find out that I have to change the rear-differential fluid. So it seems as simple, remove the fill bolt, remove the drain bolt, put new washers on and add 2.78 quarts to the fill valve. I bought a Plews 55001 pump off of Amazon. Is there anything else I need to worry about? I've changed transmission fluid in my older Hondas but they were all automatics and I filled them up from the dipstick hole. The rear differential is similar to what is seen on manual transmissions. I was kind of surprised that at 13,000 miles we have to change this. Is this typical of how frequently it will need to be changed?

Thanks,
Nick
Also surprised it came on that early. I don't think the maintainence minder is "intelligent" as respects the rear differential - it should be just time/miles. You may want to ask the dealer; this doesn't seem right.

But if you decide to change it yourself, three suggestions: 1) use Honda fluid, 2) you'll probably need new crush washers for the drain and fill plugs and 3) make sure you can loosen the fill plug before you touch the drain plug - it'd be inconvenient to drain the fluid and have no way to replenish.

One the thing - my owner's manual says the refill capacity is 1.3 quarts, not 2.78.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dans. I was going off the top of my head from last week when I was glancing on the amount. Not so friendly to just have it a 1.5 quarts and make is simple for everyone but I guess we just have to eyeball it the best we can. Not sure what the dealer is going to say about it coming on so soon except that you have to do what the MM says.

Yep I always use Honda fluid for these kinds of things (and washers, cleaning the magnet out as well). It will really stink if I have to keep changing this that frequently. I think we have had 3 oil changes before having to do this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm anal and I change my diff fluid every 15k anyway. I change out my motor oil every 3k and I use synthetic oil.
I think 3k is a bit low even on dino oil. Besides this gen uses synthetic anyway so the MM is tuned more for the oil you are using versus older Hondas which used dino oil and people used synthetic. Sure if the oil change was 10k miles I would be hesitant and changing it a bit more frequently but 3k is a bit overkill for me, but to each their own.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think 3k is a bit low even on dino oil. Besides this gen uses synthetic anyway so the MM is tuned more for the oil you are using versus older Hondas which used dino oil and people used synthetic. Sure if the oil change was 10k miles I would be hesitant and changing it a bit more frequently but 3k is a bit overkill for me, but to each their own.
I guess it really depends on how you drive and the conditions you drive in. I will have to Dai the 5w-20 oils like cooking oils thickness. Makes a little worried when I'm beat on my CRV. Well only time will tell.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Thanks Dans. I was going off the top of my head from last week when I was glancing on the amount. Not so friendly to just have it a 1.5 quarts and make is simple for everyone but I guess we just have to eyeball it the best we can. Not sure what the dealer is going to say about it coming on so soon except that you have to do what the MM says.

Yep I always use Honda fluid for these kinds of things (and washers, cleaning the magnet out as well). It will really stink if I have to keep changing this that frequently. I think we have had 3 oil changes before having to do this.
As a 2015 CRV owner, I have an interest in this as well so I browsed a bit further. There seems to be a school of thought that Honda wants the initial differential change at 15k and at 30k intervals thereafter. Don't know if this is correct, but it makes some sense.

Sure would make life simpler if Honda trusted its owners not to be idiots and gave an idea in the owner's manual of mileage/time maintainence timeframes when the MM would request service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess it really depends on how you drive and the conditions you drive in. I will have to Dai the 5w-20 oils like cooking oils thickness. Makes a little worried when I'm beat on my CRV. Well only time will tell.
Yep this is true. I would recommend getting an oil analysis on your next oil change. Depending on what you get back it may make you decide to leave it in longer. I just hate having people waste money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As a 2015 CRV owner, I have an interest in this as well so I browsed a bit further. There seems to be a school of thought that Honda wants the initial differential change at 15k and at 30k intervals thereafter. Don't know if this is correct, but it makes some sense.

Sure would make life simpler if Honda trusted its owners not to be idiots and gave an idea in the owner's manual of mileage/time maintainence timeframes when the MM would request service.
Ah ok that is good to know. Makes sense that since the oil amount is so small that they want to clear any gunk from machining out as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also there is no way to check the level of this correct? You just need to be sure to put the amount that is stated in?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
No, after the drain you put in the drain plug and tighten. Then , with the CRV level, you fill it to the bottom of the fill hole. IOWs until it starts coming out of the fill hole and stops. Just like most manual transmissions.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok thanks for the information. So there is no way to overfill this as it will just come out the fill plug? Also if I put in the amount in the manual, will a little over-flow?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Don't know for sure but if it doesn't come out of the fill hole, it is low.
Basically foolproof method if the vehicle is fairly level.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
220 Posts
When i did mine was straight forward, easyyyy

like others mentioned, first open the fill hole, then the drain hole below.

when the whole liquid is out, just close the draining hole and start filling it on the other hole.

I inserted a hose into that hole and ran it above to use gravity, and i started putting the liquid always looking when the liquid started to come out, when that happened i stopped and just close the bolt

MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN A LEVEL GROUND

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your advice/guidance. I just finished up changing it. It did take a while to pump(using that pump from Amazon) that fluid in but sure enough 1 1/3rd quarts.

Nick

·
Registered
74 Posts
On my 2011 I changed the rear axle oil at 15k and then again at 30K. I used Honda Dual Pump II oil. The oil when drained had a darker color to it is about all I noticed. Since it is so easy I will change it every 15K. The Honda gear oil is really slippery/slimy stuff compared to conventional gear oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought a 13 Certified w 50K. Differential oil....hmm, wonder if it's ever been done. Plenty of oil changes on car fax, but no mention of differential. Honda dealer maintained too. Guess I'll call and ask

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hondacruiser - were you able to get this information from the dealer? My dealer would just tell me anything that I wanted to hear. I have an identical situation with a certified 2012 w/ 35K with oil changes listed on Carfax. I plan on doing it anyway to be safe....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts