Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty here's the deal. I've been a long time lurker here and you all seem like a cool bunch so I'm gonna go ahead and ask this silly question. Why hasn't anyone ever tried to swap a small block v8 into a cr-v and why shouldn't I? The engine in mine feels like it's on it's last legs, and I really just want to do something stupid. The real end goal is to turn it into a 4wd beast but that's a long way off I think. So essentially, the question is could I cram a smallblock into a 97 crv and if so, how?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would I have to swap the entire drivetrain? Jeez. I assumed I would have some issues getting the transaxle to cooperate with it and figured the halfshafts would probably grenade if I put them under that kind of torque, maybe the u joints as well but that's it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You could go two routes really. You could find a 4x4 framed v8 vehicle and just perch your body on it. Probably look like a hack job. But you would get a whole drivetrain. Or theoretically you could find a more powerful front wheel drive platform but then you probably won't end up with a monster 4x4 ever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gm had quite a few ls4 front wheel drive cars out about a decade ago. Go poke around a junkyard with a tape measure. It might only be front wheel drive but 303 horse would be fun if you could shoehorn that baby in there. You'd probabaly have to take the computer and everything.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
You could just by the small Acura SUV with the V6!

·
Registered
14 Posts
You would never be able to adapt a small block to the transaxle, plus the first time you used any of that extra power you would have a pail of scrap from the existing drivetrain, so yes you would need different front and rear axle/transmission etc. Big project unless you did the swap to a completely different chassis. With work they can be made to look a little better than just a cut and paste job, but again big job.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You would have better luck trying a small inline four with turbo charger. Maybe a hood modification but the engine compartment is very tight with that tranny on the drivers side. Probably better off finding a Forester or similar AWD with turbo four as the original drivetrain. They aren't cheap but loads of used models out there as well as the uglier old models that preceded Forester but not as large as the Legacy.

Like stated earlier maybe a Chevy Equinox could pack a small block in there.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts