Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of SUV manufacturers making sport models with upgraded engines that are selling very well. What would you guys think about a CR-V Sport with the new Civic Type R engine, AWD, and a touring trim? The Type R engine is a turbocharged 2.0 making 306hp at 6500rpm! I just don't know if the CVT trans can handle that power -- or if they would have to stick a traditional automatic or dual clutch automatic in it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I see a lot of SUV manufacturers making sport models with upgraded engines that are selling very well. What would you guys think about a CR-V Sport with the new Civic Type R engine, AWD, and a touring trim? The Type R engine is a turbocharged 2.0 making 306hp at 6500rpm! I just don't know if the CVT trans can handle that power -- or if they would have to stick a traditional automatic or dual clutch automatic in it.
The RDX has a turbocharged 2.0 with 272hp. It is pretty slick for only about 10k more than a CRV touring. It also has a more sporty look and options.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
Yeah, that looks nice.
Yeah.. the target market for compact SUVs like the CRV is NOT for sporty. As such... the actual volumes they would sell would be very low (~10-15K, using RDX volumes as a reference) compared to selling a million of the existing CRV trim levels per year. Also, any sport CRV would also cannibalize their RDX market on the Acura side.

Basic economics and focus at play here...... it would require an extra run configuration on the CRV assembly lines.. for little return to Honda in sales volumes. CRVs are in a very price competitive segment of the market, and Honda clearly has the segment very well tuned with their CRV.

The reason Honda has the Acura line is to serve this niche of sport and luxury drivers.. so yeah.. the RDX IS Honda's compact SUV with both higher performance and more features. Also a notably higher price too.

If you look at total volume sales for CRVs vs RDXs........ RDX sales are a very small blip on Honda's sales volumes. Higher profit margins I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
American Honda Motorcorp Sales through June 2019:
https://hondanews.com/channels/corporate-sales/releases/american-honda-announces-june-sales-results

January through June 2019 sales:
CR-V - 176,944
RDX - 30,181

The CR-V was largest selling model by volume for the period. Civic came second with 169,172, third was the Accord with 129,435.
Total of all Acura model sales for the period: 73,767

As a comparison, Toyota sold 200,610 RAV4s in the same period.
https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-motor-north-america-reports-june-2019-sales/

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
American Honda Motorcorp Sales through June 2019:
https://hondanews.com/channels/corporate-sales/releases/american-honda-announces-june-sales-results

January through June 2019 sales:
CR-V - 176,944
RDX - 30,181

The CR-V was largest selling model by volume for the period. Civic came second with 169,172, third was the Accord with 129,435.
Total of all Acura model sales for the period: 73,767

As a comparison, Toyota sold 200,610 RAV4s in the same period.
https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-motor-north-america-reports-june-2019-sales/
I bet if we subtracted fleet sales from the Toyotas ( https://fleet.toyota.com/ftc/public/fleet/rav4.htm ) ... (Honda does not do fleet sales) they may very well be neck and neck in the Compact SUV segment. :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had to do a little bit of reading lol. I had no idea the RDX was essentially a luxury performance version of the CR-V. The side by side specs are very similar, but the new RDX uses a dedicated platform instead of the CR-V -- still very similar dimensions. The RDX has more performance, but the CR-V has more space and bang for the buck. I mean sure, if I had the money, extra performance would be nice, but practicality is also important. I don't think that, if taking my brother and sister-in-law out to eat in the RDX, they would be more wowed by the performance vs the additional legroom they might have lol in the CR-V :LOL:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
I don't see any sales numbers on that site, and have not been able to find any numbers for Toyota fleet sales.
Correct. Breakout of Fleet sales seem to be a kept secret. That said.. anyone who ever visits a rental car company to rent a car will find RAV4s (and other Toyotas) on the lots... so they clearly are selling into the rental fleets in volume. Fleet sales probably work quite well for Toyota since they have more assembly capacity then any other car maker, but of course Fleet sales are also lower margins for them as well. It does fluff up the total sales numbers though. :)

Nissan and Toyota appear to be the big fleet sellers among the Japanese car companies. I'm guessing that Honda might someday do fleet sales when/if they find they have surplus capacity in their NA factories.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts