Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 CR-V Touring trim. A stone chip caused a crack on the windshield and soon the chip became a long crack across the windshield. So I now need to replace the windshiel. Called several local auto grass shops, and $400 is the lowest price (Safelite). The problem is that my car has Lane Departure Alarm feature and camera realignment is recommended for extra $600. The question I have is: is the alignment really necessary even if my car has never been in any type of crash? And how do they justify $600 fee?

I have insurance with $500 deductible. If I pay $1,000 -$400 windshield +$600 alignment, it will cost me $500 deductible, but probably my premium would go up. But if I do not get it re-aligned it would cost me $400.

So, is the camera realignment really necessary even if my car has never been in a crash?

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
The correct answer is... it depends.

I have had the windshield replaced on my 2017, and it was an aftermarket FuYao installed by Safelite. The tech advised me, and made me sign a release, that I understand the camera "may need to be recalibrated". This is to protect Safelite from liability. The tech also told me, informally, that in many cases a recalibration is not needed and suggested I could either take it to the dealer and have them verify/recalibrate, OR.. take it for a good test drive and test to see if all the HondaSensing systems worked correctly. Note: Some Safelite shops can do recalibration (if the glass is installed at their shop)... but my local shop does not do the recalibrations.

Given that Honda has taken a liability mitigation position of: if you replace a windshield.. it needs to be a Honda OEM windshield to insure the camera works properly.. I chose to do a full range test drive and confirm all systems were OK first. They were... so I did not need it recalibrated. 20 minute in town and freeway test drive and I was able to confirm all the sensing systems that rely on the camera were operating normally.

The Honda position by the way is BS.. because there are only 4 or 5 glass manufacturers left that make OEM glass for car companies.. and they also run aftermarket glass off the exact same US production lines. So the only real difference between OEM and aftermarket now days is the OEM will have the car company logo and aftermarket will not. Federal safety standards require both OEM and aftermarket glass to meet all the same criteria, including window tint.

In my case.. the FuYao aftermarket windshield is actually a bit better than the OEM Pilkington the CRV came with. It also means all my glass on my CRV is now FuYao glass.. as all my other OEM windows were FuYao right from the assembly line. :)

Bottom line: If the glass is installed properly to the CRV... I very much doubt you would need a formal recalibration, but would need to personally test to be sure. The actual plastic retainer mount the camera fastens to.. is preinstalled at the factory using their production tooling.. so it will be exactly like the original in that regard. The camera is not particularly finicky, nor does HondaSensing put very precise demands on it. The real issue is if the installer does a poor job and does not get the glass properly positioned and installed to factory spec (which should be easy to see in my opinion).

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,572 Posts
Your insurance should not go up for a cracked windshield. You should also use only OEM glass because of differences in the thickness and index of refaction of the glass may vary enough to be problematic. If you pay for it yourself and get safelite glass you're SOL if you have problems. If your insurance co. uses safelite to replace the glass and there is a problem, your insurance co, will have to replace it with OEM at their cost. Also after the glass is replaced make sure you test the auto wipers, the sensor is very sensitive to the glass.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
Your insurance should not go up for a cracked windshield. You should also use only OEM glass because of differences in the thickness and index of refaction of the glass may vary enough to be problematic. If you pay for it yourself and get safelite glass you're SOL if you have problems. If your insurance co. uses safelite to replace the glass and there is a problem, your insurance co, will have to replace it with OEM at their cost. Also after the glass is replaced make sure you test the auto wipers, the sensor is very sensitive to the glass.
All of this is true. And generally, glass replacement is covered by the comprehensive part of the auto insurance.. and has a very low or no deductible.

When I had my glass replaced.. my insurance company made all the arrangements, and they chose aftermarket glass. I discussed in advance with them about possible issues if OEM glass is not used, and they told me in writing that if aftermarket glass posed a calibration issue with any of the vehicles systems.. they would allow replacement with OEM glass and they also would pay any dealer fees if recalibration was required. I told them that was fair.. as the OEM glass was 3x the cost of the aftermarket glass (even though the same glass supplier makes both OEM and aftermarket for Hondas, and on the same factory lines). In my case.. the aftermarket glass worked fine.. including for the rain sensor.. so I got a new windshield and my insurance company saved some money on the claim. win/win.

·
Registered
996 Posts
it will cost me $500 deductible, but probably my premium would go up.
Comprehensive claim.

ILLEGAL for an insurance to raise your premiums.

Repeat: ILLEGAL.

I have had two windshields replaced with recalibration.

I went to my Dealer and they recommended an installer who did the replacement AT the dealership and the camera was aligned at the same time.

One bill.

Best to you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your valuable advices. I think I will re-align the camera when I get my windshield replaced and file insurance claim. If not re-align at the time and have some problems in the future, it will be source of pain that do not need.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Touring
111 Posts
I have a 2016 CR-V Touring trim. A stone chip caused a crack on the windshield and soon the chip became a long crack across the windshield. So I now need to replace the windshiel. Called several local auto grass shops, and $400 is the lowest price (Safelite). The problem is that my car has Lane Departure Alarm feature and camera realignment is recommended for extra $600. The question I have is: is the alignment really necessary even if my car has never been in any type of crash? And how do they justify $600 fee?

I have insurance with $500 deductible. If I pay $1,000 -$400 windshield +$600 alignment, it will cost me $500 deductible, but probably my premium would go up. But if I do not get it re-aligned it would cost me $400.

So, is the camera realignment really necessary even if my car has never been in a crash?
Recalibration cost me $159 at my Honda dealer. I submitted the bill to my insurance and was reimbursed. To answer your question yes your recalibration is necessary. It is part of the vehicle's safety features and required to be repaired by law.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts