Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been chasing on oil leak ever since we bought our 02 CRV. I finally determined it was coming from the oil pressure switch. I didn't realize the hole had been cracked from over tightening by the prior owner. So naturally I tryed to tighten out the leak. I heard and felt the crack pop. Afterward the oil streamed out when the engine was idleing. I did a lot of searching and couldn't find where anyone had been successful at fixing this problem. I was blessed with finding a solution that worked in my case. I cleaned the hole best I could with solvent and a paper towel rolled up. I got it really clean. Then I coated the inside of the hole with a lot of Loctite 567 thread sealant. Then by hand i worked the sensor in and out of the hole several times to work the sealant into the crack. Then I coated the hole again, all he way back, and let it cure for 24 hours. The I put a hose clamp all the way around the part of the block with the hole in it. I had to use a hack saw blade to cut a slot in the aluminum "fin" on the bottom side for the clamp to fit in to. I used shims on the side made of folded over excess hose clamp material. I tightened it until I was afraid it would break. I also sanded and cleaned the area outside and around the bottom and sides of the same part. After cleaning well I JB welded all over the outer area where the crack was. Let it all dry 24 hours. I spent a lot of time praying while it was drying!! Then I put more 567 on the sensor and screwed it in hand tight, then just a scooch more with a wrench. I drove it to work all week(about 20 minutes both ways) and it never leaked a drop. Then I drove it an hour out of town to deliver it back to my daughter, and again, it didn't leak a drop. Praise the LORD! Just in case this didn't work, my back up plan was to use a 3/8" expandable rubber tubing plug. I bought a few different ones, one from Amazon and a couple from McMaster Carr. I was going to use the plug, along with the hose clamp trick, to block off the hole all together, then use a sandwich adapter at the oil filter to relocate the sensor. Fortunately I didn't have to do that. But I think that would work if you can't get your crack to seal the way mine did. Anyway, I hope that this helps someone else out of the same jam. You really have to be careful with this aluminum! I've attached a few photos to help explain. Good luck and God bless!
IMG_5968.JPG
IMG_5968.JPG IMG_6033.JPG
IMG_5968.JPG IMG_6033.JPG IMG_6032.JPG
IMG_5968.JPG IMG_6033.JPG IMG_6032.JPG IMG_6035.JPG

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,742 Posts
(y)(y)(y)

Necessity is the mother of invention!

Post a follow up next oil change.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't like this new forum format. I want to edit my post to delete the redundant photos but can't figure out how. And I can't figure out how to post a reply without the quote.
Never the less, the intent of my post was to give others with the same (and somewhat common) problem, hope that it may be fixable without having to pull the engine and find someone to repair it. I hope that is the case. I have since learned about a different Loctite sealant 545 designed for hydraulic systems. It may work even better. Anyway, I hope this is helpful and Good Luck!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,742 Posts
You should have been able to EDIT for 24 hours IIRC. EDIT link if present is on the line of each post, where the post number is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m just wondering if it’s still holding. Same darn thing happened to us and I can’t afford a new car now.
I've been chasing on oil leak ever since we bought our 02 CRV. I finally determined it was coming from the oil pressure switch. I didn't realize the hole had been cracked from over tightening by the prior owner. So naturally I tryed to tighten out the leak. I heard and felt the crack pop. Afterward the oil streamed out when the engine was idleing. I did a lot of searching and couldn't find where anyone had been successful at fixing this problem. I was blessed with finding a solution that worked in my case. I cleaned the hole best I could with solvent and a paper towel rolled up. I got it really clean. Then I coated the inside of the hole with a lot of Loctite 567 thread sealant. Then by hand i worked the sensor in and out of the hole several times to work the sealant into the crack. Then I coated the hole again, all he way back, and let it cure for 24 hours. The I put a hose clamp all the way around the part of the block with the hole in it. I had to use a hack saw blade to cut a slot in the aluminum "fin" on the bottom side for the clamp to fit in to. I used shims on the side made of folded over excess hose clamp material. I tightened it until I was afraid it would break. I also sanded and cleaned the area outside and around the bottom and sides of the same part. After cleaning well I JB welded all over the outer area where the crack was. Let it all dry 24 hours. I spent a lot of time praying while it was drying!! Then I put more 567 on the sensor and screwed it in hand tight, then just a scooch more with a wrench. I drove it to work all week(about 20 minutes both ways) and it never leaked a drop. Then I drove it an hour out of town to deliver it back to my daughter, and again, it didn't leak a drop. Praise the LORD! Just in case this didn't work, my back up plan was to use a 3/8" expandable rubber tubing plug. I bought a few different ones, one from Amazon and a couple from McMaster Carr. I was going to use the plug, along with the hose clamp trick, to block off the hole all together, then use a sandwich adapter at the oil filter to relocate the sensor. Fortunately I didn't have to do that. But I think that would work if you can't get your crack to seal the way mine did. Anyway, I hope that this helps someone else out of the same jam. You really have to be careful with this aluminum! I've attached a few photos to help explain. Good luck and God bless!
View attachment 135598 View attachment 135598 View attachment 135599 View attachment 135598 View attachment 135599 View attachment 135600 View attachment 135598 View attachment 135599 View attachment 135600 View attachment 135601 View attachment 135598 View attachment 135599 View attachment 135600 View attachment 135601

1 - 6 of 6 Posts