Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem. Got 6" of snow overnight, with a bit of freezing rain prior to that. Went out, thought I'd soften up the frozen rain on the windshield for a bit before trying to scrape, remove. About 15-20 minutes later, came out to discover that there was a 3' crack in the windshield. Guessing it was because the glass couldn't tolerate, extreme differences in temp inside/outside. My Chevy Silverado, pickup was running under the same conditions, but that wasn't the case there. Just wondering if this was something others had experienced.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Could have had a chip
Could have warmed car too hot for exterior temp to quickly.
Too many variables to compare people

I’m sure some will chime in who are butthurt they had to pay for a new window or something but its just something that happens sadly... lots of people sign up here to complain.

personally the only time ive ever had a windshield crack was a brand new RLX loaner that was defrosting on max and shattered. (Like you said the extreme temp change)

Our crv and other past 14 honda no issues, i set it to 72/73 and autostart the car and clear with our snow joe

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem. Got 6" of snow overnight, with a bit of freezing rain prior to that. Went out, thought I'd soften up the frozen rain on the windshield for a bit before trying to scrape, remove. About 15-20 minutes later, came out to discover that there was a 3' crack in the windshield. Guessing it was because the glass couldn't tolerate, extreme differences in temp inside/outside. My Chevy Silverado, pickup was running under the same conditions, but that wasn't the case there. Just wondering if this was something others had experienced.
There don't seem to be any notable reports of this being an issue.

Was the crack in the center area, or much closer to the edge? Edges is where windshields are most prone to stress fractures.

Could be a stress defect in the windshield (it happens) that the changing temperatures pushed over the limit.

Could be that when they installed the windshield at the factory, something was not perfect in how the adhesives set or contact between glass and frame.

Could be you had a small chip or ding in the windshield and just did not notice it until it moved to a full crack. Even small and unobtrusive chips can do that... just sitting in the sun during the day in fairly temperate weather conditions.

In any event... honestly... just looks like a random failure since we don't see threads about it here.

We do see threads about windshields getting cracked by impact.. and some owners swear that new generation windshields are just not as robust... but I think that is fallacy because all windshields have to meet minium federal safety standards. What is different in modern vehicles is that the manufacturers appear to be making the windshields much flatter, and absent of notable curvature.. and that could be a contributor.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Since you will have to get it replaced..... does your CRV have HondaSensing (you did not specify model year and trim)?

If so.. be aware that part of the system is located attached to the inside of the windshield behind the mirror.. and when the windshield is replaced... there could be issues that require recalibration of the camera. Honda will say that you have to use OEM glass only because of this... but that has not been my experience. The company that replaces your windshield will likely advise you that you will need recalibration and will make you sign off that you undertand that (which appears to be a 2-3 hour job and costs several hundered dollars at the dealers). Both in the case of Honda and the glass replacement providers... this is more about removing liability from them... then actual declaration that you will definitely have an issue.

When I had mine replaced for an impact crack.. I went with non-OEM glass (since they all come off the same lines as OEM glass now days anyway) and did a complete road test of my safety systems before seeking recalibration. Tested with the same results as pre-replacement so I skipped the recalibration service. But if in doubt... get a recalibration.. as your insurance company should cover that as part of the repair (discuss that with your insurance in advance so you are fully informed as to your options).

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
In all the years I've driven cars (and Hondas...going on 31 years now), I've never had one crack due to heating it in the winter, even in heavy snow, ice, or subzero temperatures. But that's not to say it won't happen. Our windshields take a beating in our state due to the very poor condition of the roads.

·
Registered
18 Posts
frozen rain is more commonly known as hail :)
Or sleet.
Sleet can form in the air, or rain/fog can condense on a colder windshield, forming an ice layer. (Very common when I lived in Connecticut.)
Or - snow can melt on a "warm" windshield in early evening and then freeze during the night as temperatures drop. (Very common when I lived in Colorado.)

All in all, it sounds like (1) stress around a pre-existing chip or (2) a random event.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We do see threads about windshields getting cracked by impact.. and some owners swear that new generation windshields are just not as robust... but I think that is fallacy because all windshields have to meet minium federal safety standards. What is different in modern vehicles is that the manufacturers appear to be making the windshields much flatter, and absent of notable curvature.. and that could be a contributor.
Without a doubt GEN5 windshields are experiencing more cracks/chips then any Honda or other vehicle I've owned in 35 years. My 12 month old 2018 CRV is on its 3rd windshield driving the same roads I've always driven. I'm not alone saying this - my insurance company and the local Safelight store has indicated they are seeing a higher than expected rate of GEN5 CRV windshield failures. Also a class action lawsuit was recently initiated. At $1,200 a replacement this is becoming a huge issue for many CRV owners.

By the way, a windshield meeting safety standards has little to do with its chip/crack resistance. Safety means it won't fragment/shatter/delaminate or otherwise become lethal to the occupants during a crash. It has NOTHING to do with how resistant a windshield is to damage from rock salt or pebbles. Honda appears to have reduced windshield weight (for improved gas mileage) at the expense of durability.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Without a doubt GEN5 windshields are experiencing more cracks/chips then any Honda or other vehicle I've owned in 35 years. My 12 month old 2018 CRV is on its 3rd windshield driving the same roads I've always driven. I'm not alone saying this - my insurance company and the local Safelight store has indicated they are seeing a higher than expected rate of GEN5 CRV windshield failures. Also a class action lawsuit was recently initiated. At $1,200 a replacement this is becoming a huge issue for many CRV owners.

By the way, a windshield meeting safety standards has little to do with its chip/crack resistance. Safety means it won't fragment/shatter/delaminate or otherwise become lethal to the occupants during a crash. It has NOTHING to do with how resistant a windshield is to damage from rock salt or pebbles. Honda appears to have reduced windshield weight (for improved gas mileage) at the expense of durability.
It's not just gen5 CRVs, or Hondas. It's an industry wide problem.

Flatter windshields, and steeper angles have changed the way the producers have to produce the glass, so it is not just weight reductions. This was in fact a driving factor that forced rapid aggregation of the glass producers over the last decade.. to where there are only a handful of large producers now days... as the glass requires high tech precision automation to actually produce them to today's specifications. Smaller producers simply could not afford the capital costs of production tooling and equipment. Even Safelite, who use to make their own glass, has exited the market.

Also.. with these flatter windshields... they are more prone to be non-repairable if there is a chip or crack within 6-8 inches of any edge. So where you used to be able to just have a crack (up to several inches) or a chip repaired, this is less the case now days. Add in all the special features many windshields have these days to either mount safety sensors or the glass is made to be acoustic... and replacement costs skyrocket.

As for safety standards... windshields have to resist impact to a specified point, and then shatter into harmless pieces once the threshold is passed. Chipping or cracking of glass though is not part of the standard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts