Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2020 CR-V EX with a little over 200 miles on it. After running several morning errands, I was heading home and I heard several quick cracking sounds coming from the driver’s side of the front windshield. Sound like cracking glass. No vehicles around me or overhead trees that could be dropping something. Turned onto my street and another cracking noise, which this time sounded like it was coming from the bottom center windshield.

The only thing different was after my second to last stop I adjusted the cabin heat from 74 down to 60. The outside temperature was about 48.

This was the first time I heard the cracking sound and the first time we ever adjusted the temperature setting.

I checking the entire windshield and did not see any issue with the windshield glass.

Thoughts?

My wife thinks the vehicle is haunted. Kidding of course - well.......

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
Have a 2020 CR-V EX with a little over 200 miles on it. After running several morning errands, I was heading home and I heard several quick cracking sounds coming from the driver’s side of the front windshield. Sound like cracking glass. No vehicles around me or overhead trees that could be dropping something. Turned onto my street and another cracking noise, which this time sounded like it was coming from the bottom center windshield.

The only thing different was after my second to last stop I adjusted the cabin heat from 74 down to 60. The outside temperature was about 48.

This was the first time I heard the cracking sound and the first time we ever adjusted the temperature setting.

I checking the entire windshield and did not see any issue with the windshield glass.

Thoughts?

My wife thinks the vehicle is haunted. Kidding of course - well.......

Just to be sure, take a flashlight and shine it and closely inspect all the edges of the windshield for any signs of edge cracking. Also, remember to check under the wipers, carefully too. I would also inspect the entire front of the vehicle as well to make sure the sound is not coming from a headlight assembly or something similar.

It is always possible that an incorrectly installed windshield at the factory could have a stress defect from the poor installation. That said, given the automation used now days to apply the adhesives and windshields in the assembly lines, I doubt it is a defective installation.

These modern vehicles makes so much use of plastics both inside and outside the cabin now days... that they can and do make all kinds of little noises every now and then.

That said, I agree with other posters, it is probably just plastic pieces somewhere adjusting due to differences in temperature, and will settle out in time.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
Go to dealer and note it, earlier the better if u have a small issue that gets larger.
Could also be cluster plastic not set right in the clips its very brittle & sounds like glass

Problem is, if you cannot demonstrate to the dealer the issue, you get nowhere.

And NO.. you do not need it "on the record" with the dealer.. it's a brand new vehicle with a 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,706 Posts
Problem is, if you cannot demonstrate to the dealer the issue, you get nowhere.

And NO.. you do not need it "on the record" with the dealer.. it's a brand new vehicle with a 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty.
if you come in with cracking glass after 12,000
Miles they’ll say it was a small road chip and send to your insurance.
Op has 200 miles so better to note with an advisor that theres possible issue then if spiderwebbing occurs they’ll have that when they call the tech line or goodwill it.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
if you come in with cracking glass after 12,000
Miles they’ll say it was a small road chip and send to your insurance.
Op has 200 miles so better to note with an advisor that theres possible issue then if spiderwebbing occurs they’ll have that when they call the tech line or goodwill it.
100% correct and ever salient words.

Unless dealers see issues immediately, they all have a tendency to bat customers off and not give a hoot. And with just 200 miles on the clock, I'd be throwing the entire kitchen, not just the sink at the dealer for them to suss out the issue and remedy it - pronto!!

Reactions: BoostedV
1 - 8 of 8 Posts