Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,

I'm currently driving a MK3 2009 CR-V CDTI, with 110K and experiencing an intermittent crank /no start problem.

Most of the time, the engine starts normally, but occasionally, the car will not start up until I switch off the car and switch on again, it is then guaranteed to start. This is the process in which everything happens (always in this order)...

1. Insert Key
  2. Turn key position to I, then II
  3. Warning lights fail to display the glow plug, oil, ABS, PGM-FI warning lights during the pre-ignition sequence (see pic)
  4. Turn key from position II to III, car cranks, but no start
  5. Return key to position 0 (all electrics off)
  6. Turn key position to I, then II
  7. All dashboard light showing normal
  8. Turn key from position II to III, car starts correctly
  9. But now Drivers Airbag warning light (red) is constantly showing (I can drive any distance and it stays on, if I switch off and on again, the light switches off)
it is not an immobiliser issue, as there is no green key flashing light. during the crank.

That sequence happens about 1-2 times a week, in that specific order.

I’ve noticed that this often happens with a warm engine, but only if I leave the engine off for a 5 mins or so. If I’ve driven the car, so the engine is hot, switch off and on again, the car starts up no problem, but if I wait a few mins, the issue appears.

It's baffled me what might cause this, especially as its intermittent and the fact that turning the ignition off fixes it, but then causes the airbag light fault and always in that particular order.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How old is the battery? do you have a booster pack? Check the battery terminals for looseness?
Thanks, but I don’t think it’d be the battery as the crank is strong, likewise all electrics fine except these few pre ignition lights. also it’s a repeated pattern.

I’m suspecting relay, sensor, or main ECU? I was hoping someone might know more about the electronics surrounding the ignition system. my current suspicion is the main relay, but I’m just guessing.

the culprit seems to be not switching on All the PGM-FI, glow plugs, ABS, etc. Which are all part of the initial pre ignition checks. It’s not just one light that’s causing a no start, it’s all of them, so I’m currently ruling out things like a battery, fuel pump etc. the issue seems to be more of a “core” component.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Looks like you are on the right track. I agree if it cranks strong it's not the battery. It could be the glow plugs or the relay for the glow plugs.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Thanks, but I don’t think it’d be the battery as the crank is strong, likewise all electrics fine except these few pre ignition lights. also it’s a repeated pattern.

I’m suspecting relay, sensor, or main ECU? I was hoping someone might know more about the electronics surrounding the ignition system. my current suspicion is the main relay, but I’m just guessing.

the culprit seems to be not switching on All the PGM-FI, glow plugs, ABS, etc. Which are all part of the initial pre ignition checks. It’s not just one light that’s causing a no start, it’s all of them, so I’m currently ruling out things like a battery, fuel pump etc. the issue seems to be more of a “core” component.
Have you tried posting this in the CR-V Diesel Forum?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like you are on the right track. I agree if it cranks strong it's not the battery. It could be the glow plugs or the relay for the glow plugs.
That’s my next step. Battery seems ok. Been looking for the relays for the injectors to see if I can recreate the fault, but on this CDTI model it looks like relays are missing (moved elsewhere) as there’s only 3 relays visible for headlamp washer, air con, and one other (yet to figure out as it’s not documented but it’s not ignition related as I’ve removed it and all ignition lights show).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts