Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Crank no start

713 Views 27 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  8dragon
I have a 1997 honda crv lx it's a crank no start issue pulled the injectors and they are not spraying I checked all relays and fuses ngk spark plugs and wires from honda. I got fuel pressure just injectors not spraying. Please help this is my daily driver
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2007 CRV AWD
2,303 Posts
Do you have a test light?
Injectors should have two wires
Power and ground. Ground side switched.
Meaning the ECM grounds the injectors to spray fuel into the intake
Grounding completes the circuit and the injector should fire
Test light clip to battery positive and test light probe to the ground side wire
Crank engine and the test light should blink on and off.
Wiring should be power is one color wire for all injectors and all different colors for each injector
The different color wires are the ECM control wires to ground the injectors.

If they blink then ECM is sending ground to fire the injectors
The injectors may be bad or not have power?
If they do not blink then ECM ground signal is not reaching the injectors

Since engine does not start then would believe there is no power to the injectors?
Would check for power to the injectors.
Then would check fuses. Inspect the power wires to the injectors to see if there is a short?
Good Luck

· Registered
1,244 Posts
I’ve got a few questions here to try and learn.

1. How did you test for spark? On my old VW van I believe I could hold a spark plug close to the engine shroud (using insulated gloves and careful where I held it of course) and crank the engine and observe the spark arc. Is that how you did it or do you have a tester? I’m not sure if it works for an RD1 or also for a coil on plug system without risk of damage.

2. How did you test the injectors?
Sounds like you must have unbolted the fuel rail from the brake manifold and pulled out the injectors from the manifold and then cranked the engine with the injectors pointing up in the air.

I believe the circuit that energizes the fuel pump also runs the fuel injectors. You mentioned you can hear the fuel pump. Did you test each fuel injectors for power and ground? There is a description in my Hayes manual I believe. Since you have found that the injectors aren’t firing I’d test that circuit. It could be a blown fuse (but I assume you checked and also the fuel pump works). It could be a broken wire.

· Registered
505 Posts
Just be careful be sure you disconnect the battery before working on the electrical system.

I used to be worried about this as well. But after watching those top diagnosticians on you tube that very rarely disconnect the battery when working on the electrical, even unplugging ecu's etc. I'm a bit less worried about it. Many times for testing you need the power there.
Just another thought, I thought I heard that the mobilizer turns off the fuel system? Don't know I have not studied it.

· Registered
2007 CRV AWD
2,303 Posts
I used to be worried about this as well. But after watching those top diagnosticians on you tube that very rarely disconnect the battery when working on the electrical, even unplugging ecu's etc. I'm a bit less worried about it. Many times for testing you need the power there.
Just another thought, I thought I heard that the mobilizer turns off the fuel system? Don't know I have not studied it.
Those top diagnosticians know about electrical and how to do those tests.
If you are not careful you can blow up your ECU.
But, then again, it is your vehicle to do with as you please.
Let us hope it all goes well.

· Registered
332 Posts
I have a 1997 honda crv lx it's a crank no start issue pulled the injectors and they are not spraying I checked all relays and fuses ngk spark plugs and wires from honda. I got fuel pressure just injectors not spraying. Please help this is my daily driver
My first thoughts Crank or Can sensor. They tell the computer that the engine is turning, it's OK to run to run pump.
When you turn the key to the O position, can you hear the fuel pump run for a second?

Reactions: chidog

· Registered
241 Posts
Check to see if the fuel pump is coming on. Listen for it when you turn the key on (or have a helper turn the key while you are at the fuel tank). Is the fuel pump receiving 12V?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts