Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1997 CRV was so reliable that I did not have major problem up to this point.
During a cold morning, it failed to start, just a big click, then no response.
I doudt that a chassis problem caused this difficult, as it was hit side way a day before.
Starter was badly burnt, the M terminal was totally gone.

That's why I post this message - I checked the crankshaft after the starter was removed to see if the crankshaft is ready or easy to take
action from the starter motor - it is stuck, no move by my push from the opening left with the starter.

My question: is this normal? How hard is it should be?
If this is the original cause of burning, then it would burn a replacement easily.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
ALWAYS TURN LEFT/UNSCREW/LOOSEN.

If you turn the steering wheel full left you will be able to stick a 19mm socket through the crankshaft access hole in the splash shield and turn the crankshaft that way. This will tell you if the engine is locked up or not. It will be a little hard to turn, but not too bad. You will feel the compression.

ALWAYS TURN LEFT/UNSCREW/LOOSEN

Attempting to tighten the crankshaft bolt can loosen the timing belt and cause issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it turns.
But not freely, though.

The next step is to change the starter. As the M terminal (the brush outlet to the solenoid) is gone, could I assume the amature is bad as well? I may open the motor tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Are you saying the bare wire that goes from the solenoid into the starter motor is burnt? That is a common failure point on older starters. They disintegrate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts