Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this problem could be a mixture of anything but I'm just looking for some good starting points. What are some of the main causes of bad gas mileage? I don't have a lead foot so that isn't the problem. My CR-V is a 2008 EX AWD with 63k miles on it. Lately, when I check I'm always averaging around 17.9 MPG. I've only had it for just over two months now and I do often drive in traffic rather than the open road but my other cars have always gotten better than that including the V6 Mercedes I replaced with the CR-V. What would you check first or are AWD CR-V's prone to worse mileage? I noticed most people getting well over 20 MPG.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I'd check for good tires, correct tire pressure, sticking or dragging brake components & wheel bearings, and trans/diff fluid maintenance first. Then oil, air filter, other engine maintenance items. I generally get 19-21 in the city, so you're not far off. Heavy traffic takes a big toll on mileage numbers. But once all is in order I wouldn't worry too much, it's not like it's that costly. My V passes ten times as many gas stations as my big block F250 4x4 did at 10 mpg!

·
Registered
2008 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
99 Posts
In addition to the maintenance items that already mentioned by Kloker, cleaning the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor will also help with the MPG problem. I believe this is one of the maintenance item that DIY or shop often overlook. I get about 19-21 in the city, with my FWD V's. So you are not far off.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
As you mentioned lots of variables and to a new to you vehicle they may not even be an underlying issue.
now if you had the car new and mpg dropped there could be things to look at. Wouldn't hurt to check fuel trims to see if engine running well. They are usually acceptable with a total of 10% or less. Of course zero being perfect. Engine being good then you would look to other mechanical stuff or accessories added.

·
Registered
2009 CRV
137 Posts
It is hard to quantify as "city" is such a broad term. People in LA probably spend far more time at idle or start and stop than I do when driving in and around the city of Houston. I have been able to pretty regularly get 24-26 with a mix of 50/50 city and highway driving, this is according to the read out which seems to be within 1 MPG hand calculated.

On a open road speeds between 65-75 even with the AC I can get up to 27-28 but keep in mind Texas is pretty flat where I live.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-V SE
10 Posts
I know this problem could be a mixture of anything but I'm just looking for some good starting points. What are some of the main causes of bad gas mileage? I don't have a lead foot so that isn't the problem. My CR-V is a 2008 EX AWD with 63k miles on it. Lately, when I check I'm always averaging around 17.9 MPG. I've only had it for just over two months now and I do often drive in traffic rather than the open road but my other cars have always gotten better than that including the V6 Mercedes I replaced with the CR-V. What would you check first or are AWD CR-V's prone to worse mileage? I noticed most people getting well over 20 MPG.
I've got a 2011 SE and I've been averaging 22.6 MPG over 3000 miles. Mine has just about as many miles as yours (67k). Primarily city driving though maybe 400 of those miles have been on the highway. Not a lead foot but can be a bit heavy on the throttle at times. I don't spend a lot of time just sitting at a standstill in traffic, where I live there just isn't that much. Mine's also 2WD. Your MPG seems to be about normal, I'd say, though it seems the fuel efficiency may have gotten a little bit better towards the end of the generaiton.

·
Registered
2007 EX-L Front Wheel Drive with Navigation.
641 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase. This is a great site to ask and learn about our CR-V's.

I would follow through on the previous comments to see if the gas milage does improve. This is just a note on my own experience. I have a 2007 EX-L with close to 130,000 miles; 2 wheel drive. I had been averaging 24 to 26 mph on the hwy and 18 in the city. Last summer when I had the oil changed I also added an oil suppliment for the first time. And I also added a fuel cleaner to the gas tank. I have had my CR-V for 6 years and the difference was quite noticable. I now get 29 to 31 on the highway and 19 to 20 in the city.

Good luck and let us know when if your mpg improves.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase. This is a great site to ask and learn about our CR-V's.

I would follow through on the previous comments to see if the gas milage does improve. This is just a note on my own experience. I have a 2007 EX-L with close to 130,000 miles; 2 wheel drive. I had been averaging 24 to 26 mph on the hwy and 18 in the city. Last summer when I had the oil changed I also added an oil suppliment for the first time. And I also added a fuel cleaner to the gas tank. I have had my CR-V for 6 years and the difference was quite noticable. I now get 29 to 31 on the highway and 19 to 20 in the city.

Good luck and let us know when if your mpg improves.
Under performing fuel injectors will cause a lean condition requiring the computer to add more fuel. Possibly improved the spray pattern too for more complete burn. Ever had your fuel trims looked at? would have been interesting a before and after data.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everybody for all the great tips. I'm going to have a few things looked at like the fuel injectors. Hearing that my mileage is probably not too far from normal is reassuring. If I experience any improvement, I'll let you guys know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts