Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello CR-V owners,

I was recently rear-ended by a CR-V and the force was enough to knock me into the car in front of me. The CR-V owner who hit me is claiming that she was hit from behind and that impact pushed her into my car. Her insurance company is believing her and is refusing to pay for the damage done to my car. I have pictures of the back of her car, from straight on, no angles, and if there was damage, I can't see it. The back end of her car looks perfectly normal.

Can anyone tell me from personal experience how the CR-V handles a rear-end collision? How strong are the rear bumpers? Where do they crack or crumble when hit from straight behind? Do you have any pictures you'd be willing to share? Of course the claim is that the "phantom car" who hit her immediately drove off (around us) and no witnesses stopped. This was rush hour traffic and we were stopped at a green light with traffic so heavy we couldn't make our right-hand turns.

Short of test crashing one myself, I am at a loss as to how I'm going to prove that her "damage" would be extensive if she was hit with enough force to hit me AND knock me into the car in front of me. I think this woman was stopped but then accelerated into me. But as long as she is willing to file a fraudulent claim and it's in the interest of the insurance company to side with her, I'm afraid the deck is stacked against me. How can there be "invisible" damage to the rear of her car yet she dented my trunk and my front grill was cracked in two places? This is insanity that I even need to "prove" this, but hey, I'm willing to ask CR-V owners - how terrifically built are these cars???

Thanks in advance to any advice or help that any of you can provide. My only experience so far is with motorcycle forums so I'm hoping CR-V folks are just as helpful.

Best regards,
A sad driver.

·
Administrator
3,301 Posts
The simple question the claim reps ask is how many bumps did you feel.
If one, you were rear ended then hit her, if two you rear ended her then got rear ended.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Insurance companies have investigators.
Talk to them, I'm pretty sure they would take pics of damages.
You did have insurance?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree with fubarnow - let your insurance company investigators get involved.
But here is another question for you - since you say her back end looks undamaged how does her front end look? Since it hit you hard enough to do damage to your vehicle did her CR-V front end have no damage either? She can't have it both ways - no damage in the rear but damage in the front end. Common sense alone proves that.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Let the insurance companies battle it out. When that is said and done and your car is repaired, install a good quality dash cam with front and rear cameras. Seems in this day and age people are less willing to accept responsibility. Dash cam video doesn't lie. Good ones are less than just one deductable payment on most insurance policies.

Good luck with your case.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If someone hits a car enough to push it into another car, if there isn't any visible damage from the outside, there would definitely be evidence behind the bumper and any insurance investigator would be able to tell by looking up underneath the rear bumper on most cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello again. I'm sorry for the delay in responding. Thank you everyone for your input. I don't mean to sound "fishy" with my request for information. I did get my insurance agent to ask their investigator to have a look at the pics I have. I do not have collision coverage (teen driver makes the overall cost ridiculous) as of a few months ago. So while the investigator agrees with me that it is "unlikely" the CR-V was actually hit from behind, they will not be doing battle for me.

I have tried talking with the other driver's insurance company numerous times. I've asked what is their "formal appeals process" and was told there will not be anyone else looking at it, that just the fact that I called to say I don't agree is "my appeal." Further, I "failed to convince him" that she wasn't hit from behind. He actually said the burden of proof is on me to show what happened in the accident if I don't agree with their findings. Well, I figure the insurance commission is the better determinant so I'll be filing a complaint/fraud charge.

Lesson learned - get a police report. Apparently Allstate does not require that even if their insured is claiming hit and run, which is a crime. They actually "determined" liability (not their insured's fault) on the same day as the accident based on conversations alone. No one ever looked at my car. I guess I was naive in thinking that insurance investigators need to be somewhat objective and should actually determine "what happened." Not so! They tell me the CR-V "has damage" in the rear and front, and my car has damage on the rear and front, so we are both victims. Of course, my damage is visible, that's the difference!

I will continue to look for rear, low-speed crash pics of this type of car or similar in order to submit the complaint to the insurance commission.

And last thing - I had my car looked at this morning by my normal repair shop. The guy said I was hit pretty hard; besides the dent in the trunk, the trunk latch itself, on the inside, is damaged. It sounds hollow now when closing the trunk. And of course, when I showed the picture of the "invisible damage" on the rear of the CR-V, he immediately said there's no way she was hit from behind. It's just crazy.

Anyway, in the end it's just a car, and no one was hurt. I will try to think of the positive. Thank you all for taking the time to respond!

·
Registered
476 Posts
If anyone hit's you from behind it is their fault.
Their insurance company should pay for this.
I don't care if they claim they got hit or not, they hit you.
I might call an accident lawyer to see who I can sue for recovery.
Your Insurance Company dropped the ball--they're supposed to be on your side.
You could find a million pics of wrecked CR-V's but that will not help you.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think there are usually state laws about damage and
damages over a certain amount require you to call police
to the scene to investigate.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think there are usually state laws about damage and
damages over a certain amount require you to call police
to the scene to investigate.
How could the average driver be expected know, or be able to estimate what the cost of damage to a car would be?

I was recently rear ended in my CR-V in stop & go traffic (<5mph), there was nothing visible other than a few paint scrape marks on my bumper from the other cars number plate.
Repair cost $980.00AUD, I couldn't believe it, thank goodness I had Comprehensive Insurance (Full Cover). No replacement parts were involved either, just remove & replace panels etc and paint.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I worked in insurance claims for 31+ years and the most effective way to handle issues such as this is to sue the other driver in small claims court and represent yourself. The insurance company is obligated to hire an attorney to represent their insured and due to the expense of attorneys and the probability that they will lose, they will usually pay the claim to get you out of their hair. If they pay for an attorney, show the judge your photos and let him decide. If you are hit in the rear, the odds are greatly in your favor. Insurance companies hate it when their policyholders get sued because of the expense and also, higher management gets involved when a lawsuit is involved.

·
Registered
476 Posts
How could the average driver be expected know, or be able to estimate what the cost of damage to a car would be?

I was recently rear ended in my CR-V in stop & go traffic (<5mph), there was nothing visible other than a few paint scrape marks on my bumper from the other cars number plate.
Repair cost $980.00AUD, I couldn't believe it, thank goodness I had Comprehensive Insurance (Full Cover). No replacement parts were involved either, just remove & replace panels etc and paint.
If someone "bumps" you, you get out. inspect yourself. if you do not see any damage that you don't mind paying for, get in your car and drive away. If there is damage you do not want to pay for, call the police.

Any damage done to a modern car is gonna cost you big time.
You already found that out.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If someone "bumps" you, you get out. inspect yourself. if you do not see any damage that you don't mind paying for, get in your car and drive away. If there is damage you do not want to pay for, call the police.

Any damage done to a modern car is gonna cost you big time.
You already found that out.
I knew from reading of past owners heartache's on other forums about repair costs.
I made a Not At Fault Insurance claim, my Insurer chases the other party for the money.
The other driver was very suspicious when asked for his license & address details, so I made a claim to save myself the heartache of chasing him.

Here are the scratches on my bumper, no dents to plastic bumper rear cargo door or anything underneath.

20170712_170231 (resized).jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts