Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm hoping you can help me. On my 2012 CRV I've noticed a creaking noise that sometimes has a tin-like sounding rattle. It occurs whenever I'm driving, particularly when I'm accelerating/braking/turning. It almost sounds like something is flexing and rubbing against the metal frame. I've tried greasing the seals and panels, pushing against the panels and headliner when I'm inside the car and it doesn't go away. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm planning to take the car to the dealer as soon as I can, but I'm concerned they won't find anything unless I can figure it out. Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
How were you able to narrow it down to the passenger side rear door? I ask only because I've had a rubbing/rattle noise coming from the rear also but not sure where exactly...I think it's the rear liftgate. Mine happens when I drive over bumps.
Did you check the rear folding seats? I can almost duplicate the sound when my lightly punching the rear seats back portion.

When I took mine to the dealer, they told me the jack by the spare tire was loose so they tightened it up...that was definitely not the noise so I'm still trying to figure it out. :(

Keep me posted if the dealer is able to find and fix the problem. Good Luck!

·
Registered
644 Posts
There is probably no bare metal components inside the cabin that can make tin-like rattle noise. "Runninlow3" technique of punching the seat backs or bottoms is a good one, it might reveal the area where noise is coming from. Could it be loose heat shields or exhaust pipe components, clamps or something under body?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all - Thanks for the advice. So my dealer found a broken clip inside the rear passenger c-pillar that was rolling around loose. Unfortunately the noise is still there after they remove the piece. They're ordering a new one so hopefully the new clip will secure the panels in the right place to stop the noise. Not sure if anyone has had anything similar happen to them before?

To the question about how I isolated it...rode in the passenger seat and tried pressing the panels. I also tried ruling out other sources by removing my license plate, driving slowly with the door open, and checking the spare tire. The heat shield/clamp idea is a interesting one, but the noise doesn't seem to be coming from the floor. That said, if the new clip doesn't fix it, those will be next on my list!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Any update to this problem?
I'm beginning to experience a similar metallic sound which seems to be coming from the passenger side, either front or rear seat area. So far I cannot find the source of this sound and it's annoying.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a rattling sound but only when I am driving on the freeway at around 55 mph. I wonder if it is the wind hitting the passenger side mirror since it is coming from the passengers side? It doesn't make any sounds unless I increase my speed. wonder if anyone else has had this problem?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2010 EX-L was making a similar noise at highway speeds. I too rode in the back passenger seat right side and found that when I grabbed the "grab" handle on the ceiling, it would stop.
I took a flat screwdriver and was able to remove the plastic covers under the handle and then press on and remove two small metal clips to remove the handle itself.
There are small shiny metal clips inside the handle that are clipped in a metal housing (metal on metal).
These just needed some cushioning to prevent them from rattling.
It has been years since I did this but I think I just placed some duct tape around them before reinserting them. This stopped the noise for me on my 2010. The clips were only rattling on one side, it has never made noise on the left passenger side.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was curious if the noise I'm hearing is caused by the grab bars/handles...I tried to removed the grab handles/bars on my '12 CR-V but couldn't even remove the plastic caps/covers. Is there a certain technique to remove these bars/handles from the roof/headliner?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No dice yet...

So after keeping my car for a week, the tech tried replacing the LHS passenger door seal and put felt tape around an airbag bracket that seemed to be making the noise by rubbing too close against the roof lining. The noise seemed to go away for ten minutes, but by the time I got home the creaking was back in all its glory. ugh. :mad: I'll try to see if it's the door handle next. My big concern is that my warranty is up soon and so it'll be much more expensive to fix if it's not figured out soon. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am so relieved to find others with this problem. This ticking noise is driving me crazy. It happens all the time under normal driving conditions. Seems like something is flexing and metal to metal rubbing together. Has anyone been able to identify this problem? I have a roof rack and was going to see if maybe that could have caused it? I am so lost for ideas. The dealer wants to replaced rear diff pump however this is not the same problem.

PLEASE HELP! I love this car however this noise drives me crazy and makes me want to trade it in and get something else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
FIXED!
Car was at dealer for about two weeks. They took their time to isolate the noise and found a weld of two body panels weakened and was rubbing creating the noise. Rewelded the panels and no more noise.

Loving driving the car without the rattle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts