Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed only cross bars? If so, what kind? I have been looking and only finding cross bars that need roof rails. I am in Canada, so collegehillshonda wont ship here. Looking at putting some kayaks up on the roof.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I bought some Chinese Honda rip offs on Alibaba for almost half the cost. I can't tell the difference and seems to be made tough since I often go to IKEA and throw down boxes after boxes with no problems. Works well with oem rails.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I remember seeing some somewhere that mount to the existing anchor points under the trim, but IIRC, going with just the crossbars drastically cuts the load capacity. I chose to get the rails installed, and am now waiting for some OEM crossbars to arrive this week.

·
Registered
551 Posts
This thread may help http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/135425-2017-crv-roof-rails-cross-bars-review.html Post number 28 in particular.

I didn’t want the OEM rail setup because it only gives a 27.5 inch crossbar spread which is nowhere enough to support my 14.5 foot canoe, not kayak. My previous car provided me with a 52 inch spread which was enough to safely carry my 17 footer, so I’m spoiled. So I sent a private message to the poster and got the following response.

I'm using the "Inno SU" clamp-on lockable rack with 50" bars that I got for my 2nd gen Honda Fit sport about 5 yrs ago from ORS racks direct. The door edge clamps and foot pads are of course meant for the Fit, but if extended to their maximum they do securely fit the CRV roof. I would opt for 52" bars if you choose to go this route. I don't know the fwd/back bar spread, since my wife has the car all day and the racks are in the garage. The bar spread is greater than on the Fit, but I don't think its 52". Maybe you can extrapolate from the pictures. The forward towers could probably be moved a few inches foward too. The front towers also sit higher, because of the roof profile, so you'll have to add some extra foam padding to the rear to compensate and keep the boat trim. I can asure you that it's rock solid at 75mph and I wouldn't risk my 17' hand-built yak if I wasn't confident. The excess straps around the yak run inside the doors and are tied around the ceiling grab handles for extra security. The front tie-downs are extra strap loops screwed into one of the body panel bolts and folded under the hood when not in use. I greatly prefer the overall lower cost and abiltiy to have a smooth roof for maximum hwy aerodynamics, as I do see a difference in mpgs.

After checking his photos and equating them to my car, it appears that his setup yields about a 42 inch spread. I haven't done anything yet because canoe season hasn't started for me, yet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Check honda.ca, there's crossbar that don't need roof rails. I am thinking of getting one but too expensive

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts