Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Reasonable to tow 4x8 trailer with 2010 CRV?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to move from Los Angeles to South Carolina in 6 weeks. Considering installing a hitch and pulling the small U-Haul 4x8 or 5x8 trailer. Would that be appropriate? Not packing furniture, just clothes, kitchen items, personal items and some electronics. What kind of hitch should I have installed and is that through a dealer or any mechanic? I do not have experience pulling anything, but figured this would be the most economical (lost job due to Covid-19 company downsize). Figured to drive modestly 8-10 hours/day. All advice welcome!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
We have just had a heated discussion on this topic, read here:

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX-L
140 Posts
I need to move from Los Angeles to South Carolina in 6 weeks. Considering installing a hitch and pulling the small U-Haul 4x8 or 5x8 trailer. Would that be appropriate? Not packing furniture, just clothes, kitchen items, personal items and some electronics. What kind of hitch should I have installed and is that through a dealer or any mechanic? I do not have experience pulling anything, but figured this would be the most economical (lost job due to Covid-19 company downsize). Figured to drive modestly 8-10 hours/day. All advice welcome!
Did a move from Pennsylvania to Florida with a 5 x 8 U-Haul loaded to nearly 1500 lbs. No problem towing...but need to anticipate much greater braking distances, so plan ahead when slowing down or stopping. Gas mileage really sucked, though....around 12-14 mph. I did have the transmission fluid changed after the trip to ensure longevity.

Reactions: klcox17

·
Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
56 Posts
What you should really do is ask u-haul if they will even approve the trailer rental. Seems like all of a sudden the last couple years they have become SUPER touchy about what you are towing with, maybe due to legalities or something but for example our 2018 Jeep Compass has an official, 100% legit 2000 lb tow rating from Jeep which is 500 more than the BEST CR-V, depending on the year of your CR-V and which transmission you have you might have only a 1000 pound official rating like my first gen.

U-Haul is lately really digging in their heals on "official" tow ratings and its a massive pain for me to get even a small trailer from them. Their system simply doesn't allow it anymore. Last time I rented a motorcycle trailer from them to run and pickup a bike for my father about 250 miles away the guys at my local mom-and-pop u-haul spot were telling me they had re-done the computer system for rentals and it no longer lets them really override anything.

First it asks what you are towing with, then they look up in their database what your official tow rating is and it won't let you have most or maybe any trailers. You can check this for yourself online, just go to the U-haul website and pretend like you are setting up the rental (you don't have to finish or pay for it), my guess is as soon as the system finds out what you are pulling with you will be screwed.

My last two trailers I only got by BS-ing them about what my tow vehicle was. A 2nd Gen compass looks a lot like a grand cherokee and they employees there most often don't give a darn, they just don't have any ability to override the system and it puts them in a bad position because of the legal issues there.

Somewhat speaking of legal issues, towing a trailer across the country for the first time is not a trivial thing. American interstates are just about like Mad Max movies anymore, everyone is HAULING @$$ and only cares about themselves. Trucks, semis, big rigs etc will not hesitate to run you right off the road. Trying to pull a trailer for the very first time with a car that can't really keep up the pace on a eat-or-be-eaten interstate, combined with the stress of moving and how tired you are likely to be from packing and everything else going on, its just a recipe for a bad situation all around.

Do you have to haul kids? Pets? etc on this trip? Everything is harder with a trailer. Getting around parking lots for hotels and food, driving straight and staying in your lane (the trailer will probably be a foot wider than your car on either side, its amazing how much more effort it takes some people to keep the combination in their lane).

Your fuel economy will be terrible, of course. Your pace will be slow. If you can avoid weekends and not get near large cities during commute and rush hours will help.

You need a contingency for the very good possibility that your car breaks down. Box trailers are one of the more difficult trailers to use, you loose the benefit of your rear-view mirror and then you find out you never learned to use your side mirrors properly, (did you?) and the wind catches them so much more than a utility trailer..

I mean in all honesty its a bad idea based on what little we know of you. Towing is dangerous. Your car is not a good pair for any box trailer. You've gotta be stressed out enough as it is.

Getting a moving company to take all your boxes and stuff in their box truck might be better. If you don't have enough "stuff" to justify that, do you really need a trailer at all? Can you ship some stuff instead? Get a rear cargo rack and a roof bag and cram it in?

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX-L
140 Posts
Did you have a towing package installed? Curious what that might run.
No towing package, just had the hitch installed with wiring. I took it to a Honda dealer, that was a mistake...they charged a fortune for it compared to U-Haul or some other local hitch installation company. I think it was nearly $500 at the Honda dealer; friend of mine has a 2013 CRV and paid $185 for the same thing at a local auto shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts