Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I'm currently in the market for a new car and I have been researching about new cars for almost five months. I like the Accord 2.0T sport for its peppy engine, new infotainment and style. I almost convinced myself to buy one. Recently I got married and my wife is interested in getting a CUV over a sedan due to space and practicality. We are also planning to move to Seattle by end of this year so I prefer a vehicle with AWD. I have to decide between Accord 2.0 and CRV EX-L AWD. I haven't test drove the CRV but I'm planning to do one soon. I like to get answers from current CRV owners for the below questions.

1. Has anyone cross shopped CRV with Accord ? why did you chose CRV over Accord ?
2. How is the performance of the CRV for day to day driving ? Is the CVT too loud or too slow off the line ?
3. Are the Halogen headlights in the EX-L trim bright enough ?

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
We have a 2017 Touring CRV and a 2018 Accord EX-L (1,5T) in our family.

Both are great vehicles.. the best in each model that Honda has produced to date.

I assess the CRV to be tops for cargo space and general utility overall. Driver and Passenger space is outstanding for a Compact SUV.

I assess the Accord to have superior cabin refinements and features compared to the CRV. The head unit in the Accord is far superior to the one in the CRV. I expect this represents Honda finally getting their @#$% together on head unit design.

The Accord 1.5T is a bit peppier than in the CRV.. and handles better... this is due to slightly different tuning, and the fact that the Accord, as a sedan is better handling over all compared to a compact SUV like the CRV.

The downside to the Accord is it is even lower profile than prior generations, and as such it can be a pain to get into and out of. This is where the CRV shines and differentiates. That said... one refinement Honda added for the Accord (those with power drivers seats) is when you open the door the drivers seat automatically moves back all the way, making it much easier to get into, and when you close the door the seat automatically adjusts to the setting programmed for the keyfob of the driver. It is even smart enough to know the difference between the driver and the passenger... if both are carrying a fob for the same vehicle.

Honestly, in my view.. the 2.0T is a waste in the Accord, but different owners have different expectations in this regard. the technology of both the 1.5T and the 2.0T are very similar.... which is to be expected from Honda.

What is stunning about the Accord though is in a market segment where most manufacturers are seeing double digit sales declines year over year (due to the surge of buyers into CUVs and SUVs)... Honda has done such a fine job with the current generation Accord that they are seeing no real sales declines, and as such are actually growing market share in the midsize sedan market segment as other companies flounder or exit the class. This speaks volumes about where Honda engineering and design is as of 2018 when the new Accord was introduced.

Ultimately... the choice comes down to you and your wife's personal needs and wants. Tough choice between the two in my view.. and we are glad to have one of each in our garage. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
do you like technology and cabin refinement, then accord is probably going to make you happier. to me the accord cabin feels more upscale even in the sport trim than the crv touring - crv has lots of hard plastic. also accord has - if you choose to go higher in the trim - a better list of available tech like a proper HUD.

the crv infotainment was old feeling back when we got it in 18 so assuming you're getting the 2020 crv it's only going to age even more by the time you've had it for a couple of years. something you may want to keep in mind are kids - if you're going to have them it's much easier to deal with a child seat and stroller/etc. in a crv than an accord.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My neighbor (a lady), who has been a repeat Accord leaser, again and again, decided to try the CRV this time and she says the CRV is more fun to drive. Certainly more handy.

So, yeah, happy wife, happy life.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If I were to get the 2.0 Sport I'd be severely tempted to get the reportedly excellent manual transmission. Last of a dying breed in this country and really ups the engagement factor.

·
Registered
2020 Honda CR-V EX AWD
10 Posts
I began my car search looking at the CR-V/Accord and RAV4/Camry. Upgrading from a small '07 Volvo S60, wife drives a 4 dr Toyota Tacoma. Ended up choosing the '20 CR-V EX and have loved every mile I've driven it.

Biggest things for me/us and in this order:
Size-needed to be big enough for me (6'5") driving but still comfortable for other pax plus car seat in the back. CR-V was the best option out of all 4. Fwiw, when I tried to see what it was like sitting in the back seats, I was easily hitting my head on the Accord ceiling and my knees were hitting the front seat of the RAV4. Obviously not a problem for most, though. Trunk space on the CR-V is also excellent.

MPG-Obviously the Accord a little stronger, but CR-V is still good especially when factoring in the size.

That's mainly it. I work in tech and while I don't love the info system, the apple/Android integration is all I need. The engine won't "wow" you but as you can probably tell i was going for utility over flash.

If you plan to keep the car for 3-5+ years and could envision kids in that time period (as @thomasbg said) and don't have a second decent size car, then I think the CR-V is a no brainer. If not, I don't blame you for going Accord.

Oh and if you can stand to wait a little, there may be some lower financing available in the next few weeks with coronavirus.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We have a 2017 Touring CRV and a 2018 Accord EX-L (1,5T) in our family.

Both are great vehicles.. the best in each model that Honda has produced to date.

I assess the CRV to be tops for cargo space and general utility overall. Driver and Passenger space is outstanding for a Compact SUV.

I assess the Accord to have superior cabin refinements and features compared to the CRV. The head unit in the Accord is far superior to the one in the CRV. I expect this represents Honda finally getting their @#$% together on head unit design.

The Accord 1.5T is a bit peppier than in the CRV.. and handles better... this is due to slightly different tuning, and the fact that the Accord, as a sedan is better handling over all compared to a compact SUV like the CRV.

The downside to the Accord is it is even lower profile than prior generations, and as such it can be a pain to get into and out of. This is where the CRV shines and differentiates. That said... one refinement Honda added for the Accord (those with power drivers seats) is when you open the door the drivers seat automatically moves back all the way, making it much easier to get into, and when you close the door the seat automatically adjusts to the setting programmed for the keyfob of the driver. It is even smart enough to know the difference between the driver and the passenger... if both are carrying a fob for the same vehicle.

Honestly, in my view.. the 2.0T is a waste in the Accord, but different owners have different expectations in this regard. the technology of both the 1.5T and the 2.0T are very similar.... which is to be expected from Honda.

What is stunning about the Accord though is in a market segment where most manufacturers are seeing double digit sales declines year over year (due to the surge of buyers into CUVs and SUVs)... Honda has done such a fine job with the current generation Accord that they are seeing no real sales declines, and as such are actually growing market share in the midsize sedan market segment as other companies flounder or exit the class. This speaks volumes about where Honda engineering and design is as of 2018 when the new Accord was introduced.

Ultimately... the choice comes down to you and your wife's personal needs and wants. Tough choice between the two in my view.. and we are glad to have one of each in our garage. :)
I also have both and I echo your comments. Only additionals is that the accord suspension is better and far quieter at higher speeds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ive had a loaner 18 accord and currently a 1.5t CRV and 15 civic lx 5mt sedan (work commuter).

I loved both cars. With a 4 and 1 year (almost 2) year old, as a primary family hauler and overall utility the CRV is the way to go for us as a family. My next work commuter will more than likely be a 1.5 or 2.0 accord with a 6 speed. If you think kids are a possibly go with the CRV however an accord is easily large enough to accomdate children. If you choose to go with the accord just get a second set of wheels with solid snow tires for the winter. Dont let the awd make or break the deal. I have a 30 mile commute to work in new england. I used to daily a 04 crv while my wife had a 10 exl crv. In an effort to reduce gas expenses, I went with a $9500 used 15 civic in 2018. I run snows during the winter and have had zero issues when it actually snowed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive had a loaner 18 accord and currently a 1.5t CRV and 15 civic lx 5mt sedan (work commuter).

I loved both cars. With a 4 and 1 year (almost 2) year old, as a primary family hauler and overall utility the CRV is the way to go for us as a family. My next work commuter will more than likely be a 1.5 or 2.0 accord with a 6 speed. If you think kids are a possibly go with the CRV however an accord is easily large enough to accomdate children. If you choose to go with the accord just get a second set of wheels with solid snow tires for the winter. Dont let the awd make or break the deal. I have a 30 mile commute to work in new england. I used to daily a 04 crv while my wife had a 10 exl crv. In an effort to reduce gas expenses, I went with a $9500 used 15 civic in 2018. I run snows during the winter and have had zero issues when it actually snowed.
Yes I agree with your point on the winter tires. I never needed one so far as I live in south. But I have seen a lot of car reviewers recommend FWD with winter tires over FWD based AWD for snow conditions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I began my car search looking at the CR-V/Accord and RAV4/Camry. Upgrading from a small '07 Volvo S60, wife drives a 4 dr Toyota Tacoma. Ended up choosing the '20 CR-V EX and have loved every mile I've driven it.

Biggest things for me/us and in this order:
Size-needed to be big enough for me (6'5") driving but still comfortable for other pax plus car seat in the back. CR-V was the best option out of all 4. Fwiw, when I tried to see what it was like sitting in the back seats, I was easily hitting my head on the Accord ceiling and my knees were hitting the front seat of the RAV4. Obviously not a problem for most, though. Trunk space on the CR-V is also excellent.

MPG-Obviously the Accord a little stronger, but CR-V is still good especially when factoring in the size.

That's mainly it. I work in tech and while I don't love the info system, the apple/Android integration is all I need. The engine won't "wow" you but as you can probably tell i was going for utility over flash.

If you plan to keep the car for 3-5+ years and could envision kids in that time period (as @thomasbg said) and don't have a second decent size car, then I think the CR-V is a no brainer. If not, I don't blame you for going Accord.

Oh and if you can stand to wait a little, there may be some lower financing available in the next few weeks with coronavirus.
Yes I'm planning to keep the car for atleast 5 years. I'm happy with Apple carplay integration as it will take care of all my needs but man, the infotainment in Accord is so much improved. The screen resolution is amazing and the half digital dash is also a good addition. Honda should have updated the 2020 CRV with Accord infotainment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
do you like technology and cabin refinement, then accord is probably going to make you happier. to me the accord cabin feels more upscale even in the sport trim than the crv touring - crv has lots of hard plastic. also accord has - if you choose to go higher in the trim - a better list of available tech like a proper HUD.

the crv infotainment was old feeling back when we got it in 18 so assuming you're getting the 2020 crv it's only going to age even more by the time you've had it for a couple of years. something you may want to keep in mind are kids - if you're going to have them it's much easier to deal with a child seat and stroller/etc. in a crv than an accord.
I'm planning to keep my next vehicle for atleast 5 years and I might have kids during that time. We don't need a second car as my wife works in downtown and she takes public transportation. So this is going to be our only car. The interior of Accord is one step above the CRV in terms of infotainment and interior refinement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I were to get the 2.0 Sport I'd be severely tempted to get the reportedly excellent manual transmission. Last of a dying breed in this country and really ups the engagement factor.
I heard some reviewers mention that the manual in 2.0T is not as good as manuals in other Honda models say Civic Si. Also the 10 speed AT is so fast and superior that make the car already fun to drive.

·
Registered
2020 Honda CR-V EX AWD
10 Posts
Yes I'm planning to keep the car for atleast 5 years. I'm happy with Apple carplay integration as it will take care of all my needs but man, the infotainment in Accord is so much improved. The screen resolution is amazing and the half digital dash is also a good addition. Honda should have updated the 2020 CRV with Accord infotainment.
I hear ya. I didn't look any further into the Accord after seeing how much smaller the interior was vs. the CR-V, so I didn't see the new infotainment system, and that's probably a good thing.

I've never leased but maybe consider leasing an Accord for a few years and wait for the 6th gen CR-V to come out? Think I've read on here it'll be in the next couple years and my guess is it'd have a revamped infotainment system then. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What'd you end up going with @ravimitian
Planning to get the 2020 CRV. Currently put the car purchase on hold due to the corona situation. Local dealerships are short of sales people to do test drives. They facilitate on-site test drive but only I get on the numbers which is something I don't want to do.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I purposely chose a Honda dealer which had the '18 Accord 1.5T Touring model and all CRV trims/colors in stock when I went shopping for a new car in Dec 2018. The 1.5T Touring is a pretty rare combination only available for the 2018 model year.. that combined most luxurious interior with the best bang for the buck powertrain. It was also available with significant discounts. I had my choice of buying a '18 Accord 1.5T Touring or '18 CRV EX-L for the exact same price of $27,700 + tax, tags, license. After arriving at the dealership and comparing the two vehicles side-by-side for almost an hour.. I went ahead and purchased the CRV.

While the Accord is probably more fun & luxurious to drive.. the CRV just makes more sense overall and especially for the long run:
  • 30mpg combined avg
  • AWD
  • Resale Value
  • Power Hatchback
  • Towing Capability
  • Significantly more cargo room even with all seats up
  • Large, completely flat cargo floor with all seats down (I have literally slept in my CRV on an air mattress)
  • Higher, hip point entry/exit point for easy passenger ingress/egress and cargo loading/unloading
  • Upright seating position feels like sitting in a office chair vs laid back in recliner
  • Higher seating position means you see farther ahead (and around other vehicles) in traffic.. also less blinding from cars in rearview mirrors with LED headlights
  • Shorter vehicle overall (more space in garage when parked and easier to parallel park in major cities)
Fast forward about 18 months later.. and I definitely made the right choice. I would have had serious regrets with the Accord. Everything that makes the Accord great.. essentially only applies when the vehicle is actually in motion. Whereas the CRV is just much more useful all around.. especially so if you have a family. If you've never owned a Crossover/SUV.. once you do.. there is no going back to a sedan again. I'd honestly buy a coupe (dream sports car).. before I'd buy another sedan. The Crossover takes everything about a sedan and makes it so much more utilitarian. Now that Crossovers are pretty fuel efficient.. its really no surprise why people are running out of reasons to purchase a new sedan when car shopping.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring | Modern Steel Metallic | Black Leather
31 Posts
Planning to get the 2020 CRV. Currently put the car purchase on hold due to the corona situation. Local dealerships are short of sales people to do test drives. They facilitate on-site test drive but only I get on the numbers which is something I don't want to do.
Just to throw in my two cents here....! I too looked at an Accord Hybrid and CR-V Hybrid. Ultimately chose the CR-V Hybrid due to the roominess of the cabin, all the cargo room, and higher seating position. I came from a 2019 Honda Insight Touring that has the same infotainment as the Accord, so stepping "backwards" into the 2020 CR-V with the old infotainment is kind of a bummer. But, I couldn't be happier with my CR-V Hybrid Touring!

So here is my second cent... I would HIGHLY recommend that you test drive the CR-V Hybrid. I did test drive a gas powered 1.5T AWD Touring model back to back with the Hybrid Touring model and I am by no means saying that something is wrong with the gas only model, by no means saying that. I really enjoyed the gas only model but I knew I wanted to stick with a hybrid powertrain. I felt like the hybrid powertrain was more quiet and refined than the 1.5T. Fuel efficiency aside, I felt like the drivability of the hybrid powertrain was better than the gas only version. Do yourself a favor and at least test drive one hybrid that is the same trim level of the gas only model you are considering purchasing. You might be surprised, or it might not be a big deal to you. But, it doesn't hurt to look into the option before you pull the trigger.

Good luck with whatever you decide! You won't be disappointed any way you go! 😁

1 - 20 of 25 Posts