Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm trying to find appropriate crossbars for the roof of my 2012 Honda CR-V and just keep striking out. Maybe I have too many incompatible requirements:

1. I'm going to be putting a rooftop tent on them, so the bars need to be straight from one end to the other (not a curved line).
2. They'll be mounted on flush side rails.
3. They can't be too tall... or else my car won't fit in my garage once the tent is attached to them! I bought a set of Yakima crossbars and only realized once I got home that they're too tall. I'm kicking myself for not considering that before making the purchase... and now am not sure where to look for something that might fit all the above needs.

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated! Thank you so much in advance!

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,070 Posts
I can't think of any alternative to the Yakima or Thule set up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
From my research, you're SOL. Are you planning to sleep in it up there? Most racks only advertise a 150-165lb weight limit.. hope it's just you and you're small.

Probably the lowest solution is the OEM crossbars, but they are curved.. unless something can be rigged up to on top of them to create a flat surface without adding the height of a cargo basket or anything? Hard foam like a roof kayak carrier or otherwise to put on the ends to flatten it out?

Or.. know any metal workers?
Can make bars to mount to the OEM rails and bolt in... :/

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Unless your sleeping platform has legs that fold down to the ground to support your weight you're out of luck.
Adding a roof rack will allow you to move your gear to the top, which would allow you to sleep inside in the back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts