Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 CRV with 206000 + miles on the clock, I have had issues with the cruise control shutting off on me which I eventually solved (around 110K miles). Now I am having a different issue, my cruise control would run good then after about 10 mins, the RPM would increase as if the car was downshifting, this would actually get me rattled and just remove the cruise control and just drive the car as normal. This only happens while using the cruise control. I am not sure if this could be one of the rear brakes sticking causing the car to slow down and increase the rpms........but plan on checking this out in the spring, unless you guys have a better explanation, I would gladly welcome it. Thanks. If anyone have a question as to why I thought it was the brakes...well, I recently replaced both rear pads and the rear passenger side may need a new caliper. Thanks again for any insight.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,045 Posts
After a drive, feel the wheel centers. If one side is hotter than the other, replace both calipers on that axle! It can be intermittent!

+++++++++++++

Another possibility is a bad thermostat or cylinder head temp sensor. If the engine computer thinks the engine isn't warmed up it could keep you in a lower gear or disengage the Cruise.

The dash gauge isn't a reliable indicator...use an OBDII scanner to get a better handle on actual running temps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. Forgot to mention that the problem is intermittent, I do plan to replace both rear calipers anyway but now I'm not sure if the brakes have anything to do with the cruise control anyway...it's just weird that the rpm would go up and the car would almost hesitate to run at the "cruise speed" like it was almost wanted to stall but doesn't since I would cancel the cruise control and the rpm back to normal. I may have to investigate other behaviors further by using the cruise repeatedly. But I'll do it around spring or summer that way, if I find the problem and can fix it myself, I will do just that to save a little mula.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts