Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a 2017 CRV EX-L from my brother. While learning the operation of the standard cruise control (not ACC-Adaptive Cruise Control), I ran across something new and different. I've owned new Honda's since 96' (Accord & Odysseys). While setting a desired speed with the cruise control is the same as my previously owned Honda's, incrementally increasing the speed operates totally different. For example: I'm driving along and tap the cruise control "Set" button to 65mph. I then decide I want to increase the "Set" speed to 70mph, so I toggle the (+) symbol until the speedometer reaches 70mph and let up on the toggle button (this is how all my previously owned Honda's functioned in this scenario). Well, much to my surprise after letting up on the toggle button, the CRV continued to rapidly accelerate in speed. I immediately tapped the brake to stop the cruise function. It similarly does the same thing in reverse when I toggle the (-) symbol to decelerate, as the speed continued to decline even though I let go of the toggle button. I was convinced my cruise function was faulty and called the dealership to have it looked at. The service manager explained the correction operation, which I tried and it works exactly as described: While in standard cruise control, tap "Set" for the desired speed setting. If a faster speed is then desired, toggle the (+) symbol for a mili-second and it will increase the speed 1mph each time you tap for a mili-second. If you hold down the (+) symbol for one complete second (literally count in your head "one thousand one") and release the (+) toggle, it will increase the speed in 5mph increments, each time the toggle is held for one complete second. The same rules apply for decelerating the cruise-setting, using the (-) toggle symbol. Hope this helps someone who may have owned older Honda's and the cruise control function has you puzzled and frustrated.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I recently purchased a 2017 CRV EX-L from my brother. While learning the operation of the standard cruise control (not ACC-Adaptive Cruise Control), I ran across something new and different. I've owned new Honda's since 96' (Accord & Odysseys). While setting a desired speed with the cruise control is the same as my previously owned Honda's, incrementally increasing the speed operates totally different. For example: I'm driving along and tap the cruise control "Set" button to 65mph. I then decide I want to increase the "Set" speed to 70mph, so I toggle the (+) symbol until the speedometer reaches 70mph and let up on the toggle button (this is how all my previously owned Honda's functioned in this scenario). Well, much to my surprise after letting up on the toggle button, the CRV continued to rapidly accelerate in speed. I immediately tapped the brake to stop the cruise function. It similarly does the same thing in reverse when I toggle the (-) symbol to decelerate, as the speed continued to decline even though I let go of the toggle button. I was convinced my cruise function was faulty and called the dealership to have it looked at. The service manager explained the correction operation, which I tried and it works exactly as described: While in standard cruise control, tap "Set" for the desired speed setting. If a faster speed is then desired, toggle the (+) symbol for a mili-second and it will increase the speed 1mph each time you tap for a mili-second. If you hold down the (+) symbol for one complete second (literally count in your head "one thousand one") and release the (+) toggle, it will increase the speed in 5mph increments, each time the toggle is held for one complete second. The same rules apply for decelerating the cruise-setting, using the (-) toggle symbol. Hope this helps someone who may have owned older Honda's and the cruise control function has you puzzled and frustrated.
I experienced the same thing not long after I bought my '19 EX V. Scared me a little. For a millisecond, I thinking, "stuck throttle!!!".

Pretty sure my wife's '08 EX Civic IS NOT like this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honda cruise control has been that way for about 20 years

read your manual and other stuff might amaze u
Sorry I disagree. The cruise control on my 96' Accord and 02' and 13' Odyssey's did not continue to climb when releasing the (+) to increase or (-) decrease the speed. A couple other posts stated they thought they had stuck throttles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, that's how it works.....of course one could do the unthinkable and read the manual before pushing buttons.?
My manual only mentions tapping the (+) will increase in 1 mph increments. It doesn't mention anything about holding it for say, 5 seconds, will increase it, 20 mph.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yeah my 03, 07 Accords, 10 Acura TSX and 02 CRV did not operate with 5 mph bumps. First time I used on my 17 CRV it climbed to 90 before I realized what was happening. Also thought it was a stuck throttle. Not sure this is really a safe thing to have since most other cars do not operate this way. Could be a rude awakening to someone not familiar with and borrowing car or someone picking up the car for service, car wash etc. Even by reading the manual this is something easy to miss since most of us have used std. cruise control for yrs.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
On the '17 and up with the adaptive cruise when you set a speed it will show the set speed on the center of the dash display. When you push the + button watch the number in that spot as it will display the new set speed. While the short taps will advance the speed if you keep hitting it you will be jacking up the set speed, maybe higher than you wanted! Read the number displayed on the dash...it will display the speed you selected.

·
Registered
2004 CRV EX MT, 2006 CRV EX AT, 2007 Odyssey EX-L AT, 2017 CRV EX-L AT
27 Posts
I actually read the manual with my (somewhat) recently purchased CPO 2017 EX-L, and I thought that ACC was the only option. I really miss 'regular' cruise control, but reading this makes me think that it's still there and I just haven't found it! Back to RTFM ...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I actually read the manual with my (somewhat) recently purchased CPO 2017 EX-L, and I thought that ACC was the only option. I really miss 'regular' cruise control, but reading this makes me think that it's still there and I just haven't found it! Back to RTFM ...
On your 2017 CRV EX-L, it's easy...

Switching to Standard Cruise Control
Press and hold the Interval button. Cruise mode appears in the Driver Information Interface. Press & hold the button again to switch back to ACC.

See the pdf file: Features and Information | 2017 Honda CR-V | Honda Owners Site

=========

It's a bit different on my 2019 CRV EX -- press & hold the button for just one second.

·
Registered
2004 CRV EX MT, 2006 CRV EX AT, 2007 Odyssey EX-L AT, 2017 CRV EX-L AT
27 Posts
On your 2017 CRV EX-L, it's easy...

Switching to Standard Cruise Control
Press and hold the Interval button. Cruise mode appears in the Driver Information Interface. Press & hold the button again to switch back to ACC.

See the pdf file: Features and Information | 2017 Honda CR-V | Honda Owners Site

=========

It's a bit different on my 2019 CRV EX -- press & hold the button for just one second.

Beauty, thanks. It never occurred to me that standard cruise was just another 'interval'. I had read that section in the owner's manual but I missed the part about ACC vs standard. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Read the manual???? WOW who would've thought to do that!! Same applies to the morons in this world who call up the helpdesk complaining their monitors don't work only to find out they either didn't turn them on or kicked the plug out....lets not try the obvious first....lets just cry wolf and hope someone helps ya....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Read the manual???? WOW who would've thought to do that!! Same applies to the morons in this world who call up the helpdesk complaining their monitors don't work only to find out they either didn't turn them on or kicked the plug out....lets not try the obvious first....lets just cry wolf and hope someone helps ya....
Thanks for all your help.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts