Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the little Brake Switch Stop on the brake pedal break, therefore the brake lights would not shut down when I shut down. Before I figured it out I removed a few fuses one at a time that were related to lights, because one brake light was staying one when I shut down. I didn't realize that one of the bulbs was broken also. I replaced both brake light bulbs and then fixed the brake switch stop. Now the Cruise Control doesn't work?
I'm hoping that I can fix this without spending any money just right now. I also shut all down and disconnected the battery to see if I could reset everything.

Thanks chris

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
That brake light switch also controls the cruise control. Perhaps it is just slightly out of adjustment. Pretty easy to adjust, overall. I believe that brake light switch has two sets of contacts in it. Recheck that the wires are properly connected to that connector going into the brake switch.
Do your brake lights work properly? Does your horn work? Does the cruise control light on the dash come on? I believe there is a 7.5 amp fuse in the under the dash fuse box that is for the cruise control, among other things. It is possible that when that switch broke, a short blew that fuse. On a 98 crv, it is fuse#14.
Did the cruise control work properly before the brake light switch broke?
Could also be rotted vacuum hoses that control the cruise control speed.
It is also possible that you loosened the connector going to the cruise control box, under the dash when you replaced that brake switch.
Please post back when you get it working or what you checked.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BUffalo4, sorry for the delay, I am not getting notices. The switch is fine, the fuse is fine, everything was working fine right before this happened? Brake lights work. The little switch light comes on, but not the one In the dash display, you know what I mean? Doubt it is a vacume hose as that would not go so quickly. I did not replace the brake switch just the stop. I will however try the adjustment as the Stop is a cheapy from local auto place. Thanks

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
If the dash cruise light does not come on, it is 'usually' the brake light switch.
Hopefully that is the problem.
If your CRV is a 1997, it is around 18 yrs old. Vacuum hoses can deteriorate in that time. But since it was sudden, it is probably that switch.
Buffalo4

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,441 Posts
You didn't mention if your V is a manual trans or automatic.

If manual, there is a Cruise Control Disengage switch on that pedal too, perhaps it got bumped out of place during your other work?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts