Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced this if you are in cruse and you go down a grade when you reach the bottom and it instead of a gentle acceleration, it goes wide open then lets up and does it normal after that. I'm not in economy mode either..... Jim

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Nope ...no problem with that
I am surprised how well the CVT handles it's job .... This is the first vehicle that I've ever had with this type of transmission. I was a little apprehensive because of all the negative press other car brands have had

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope ...no problem with that
I am surprised how well the CVT handles it's job .... This is the first vehicle that I've ever had with this type of transmission. I was a little apprehensive because of all the negative press other car brands have had

I guess I am the only one who has this problem or every other one is on flat ground. I don't think it is an issue with the CVT....... Jim

·
Registered
661 Posts
No problems like that but, when going down a long grade my actual speed will increase as much as 15 mph over what the cc is set on. Never experienced this much deviation in other cars. with all the safety stuff they have they need to work on this problem.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
No problems like that but, when going down a long grade my actual speed will increase as much as 15 mph over what the cc is set on. Never experienced this much deviation in other cars. with all the safety stuff they have they need to work on this problem.
Your speed going up so much on a down-grade isn't because of the cruise control (or defects therein), it's because the CVT is very efficient and it's just that good at coasting.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your speed going up so much on a down-grade isn't because of the cruise control (or defects therein), it's because the CVT is very efficient and it's just that good at coasting.
That is not true, My Subaru with a CVT held back going down mountains never gained a couple MPH. The CR V doesn't have the cc's to hold it back and runs off but when I get to the bottom it goes full throttle for an instant then backs off and throttles up normal. Jim

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
That is not true, My Subaru with a CVT held back going down mountains never gained a couple MPH. The CR V doesn't have the cc's to hold it back and runs off but when I get to the bottom it goes full throttle for an instant then backs off and throttles up normal. Jim
It's got nothing to do with engine displacement. My previous car was a scarcely-larger 1.8T (with a manual) and it had plenty of engine braking if I wanted it. And if you want more engine braking, just shift the transmission to S.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I haven't experienced that problem, but I have had the speed oscillate on a very steep downgrade on an interstate. There is a Technical Service Bulletin that addresses my issue and several others, I believe it is TSB 17-064. At my next service I am going to schedule the software update that is recommended. You may want to,look into that too.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Already had that one done. Didn't make any difference. I just have to hit brakes to disengage so as to not risk a ticket, then resume when it levels out.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is the problem, if you hit the brakes the CC. kicks out and you do not experience the surge at the bottom if the CC. is engaged. When going down hill as the speed increases so does the engine speed. ........ Jim

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to the dealer and found out that there is no cure for the overspending in CC. going down hill and have the only one that has the full throttle burst at the bottom of a hill in CC....... So much for Honda care ....... Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes! I've noticed this as well. Within my family, we have several cars that have radar cruise control in addition to the new CRV: A new Volvo XC60 SUV, a Subaru CrossTrek (with Subaru Eyesight), and a Ford Fusion Hybrid. In ALL cases, the radar cruise control system will activate the brakes to ensure your set speed is kept while going downhill. For some stupid reason, the CRV does not do this. As was mentioned, I also have had to hit the brakes in order to not be speeding 10, 15 or even 20 mph over the speed limit! The only time this works correctly is if there is a vehicle ahead that is slowing or keeping their speed.

Very dumb programming. This needs to get fixed ASAP. We just bought ours 2 weeks ago. I'll have to see about the TSB that was mentioned, although it sounds like that did not solve the problem either.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is what the service manger said, that the TSB does nothing to prevent the over speeding...... Jim

·
Registered
131 Posts
Why would I have to do that I'm in CC. in all my years of driving I never had to do that,Down shift a CVT ...... give me a break...... Jim
Wait. You never downshifted going down a hill? I was taught that over 50 years ago. How do you think truckers do going down hills with 20 tons of cargo pushing them. Not many use the jake brake for that. I live in Vermont, most hills aren't that steep. there is one on Interstate 89 that goes for a little over 2 miles. But my 2017 CRV keeps me at correct speeds. have you rebooted your system?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Wait. You never downshifted going down a hill? I was taught that over 50 years ago. How do you think truckers do going down hills with 20 tons of cargo pushing them. Not many use the jake brake for that. I live in Vermont, most hills aren't that steep. there is one on Interstate 89 that goes for a little over 2 miles. But my 2017 CRV keeps me at correct speeds. have you rebooted your system?
He stated he never had to downshift going down a hill, while using cruse control. I never have, either.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mister, I got more miles backing a truck up than you got going forward. My 2017 CR V doesn't hold nor does anyone else except you?Reboot? Honda service says different. We are planning on taking mine that does it on a hill in cruse and get it to do it and then take some new ones and see if they do the same...jim

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Why would I have to do that I'm in CC. in all my years of driving I never had to do that,Down shift a CVT ...... give me a break...... Jim
You don't need to be snippy; it was a serious suggestion.

I've never had a cruise control do anything to the transmission (like downshift it) in order to control speed on a steep grade. (Nor have I had one apply the brakes. Yes, we have ACC, but I don't think that works if the radar doesn't see anything worthy of braking for...) If the cruise doesn't tell the CVT to engine brake, and the CVT is optimized for fuel economy (which necessarily is going to have a minimum of engine braking), downshifting the transmission into S seems like a good idea to me. (The manual explicitly states that one of the effects of S is to provide increased engine braking.)

On every car I have owned, cruise control is really throttle control; it would not surprise me if it does not explicitly control the transmission at all, rather just letting the transmission do whatever it would normally do if your foot had provided the same throttle input.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You don't need to be snippy; it was a serious suggestion.

I've never had a cruise control do anything to the transmission (like downshift it) in order to control speed on a steep grade. (Nor have I had one apply the brakes. Yes, we have ACC, but I don't think that works if the radar doesn't see anything worthy of braking for...) If the cruise doesn't tell the CVT to engine brake, and the CVT is optimized for fuel economy (which necessarily is going to have a minimum of engine braking), downshifting the transmission into S seems like a good idea to me. (The manual explicitly states that one of the effects of S is to provide increased engine braking.)

On every car I have owned, cruise control is really throttle control; it would not surprise me if it does not explicitly control the transmission at all, rather just letting the transmission do whatever it would normally do if your foot had provided the same throttle input.

Funny, Jeep even drops a gear to hold back in cruse...... I can accept the fact that the 2017 Honda CR V will not hold back on any kind of a hill due to it's small displacement. My problem is the full throttle at the bottom of the hill instead of a more subtle throttle response at the bottom when it does call for it speed up. Nothing to do with manual transmissions nor trucks and Jake brakes just a fact that the 2017 Honda CR V has an irritating problem in curse control.... Sorry but at 74 years old, this isn't my first rodeo....... After a lot of Subaru's, a Rav4 and a Mazda CX-5 2.0 none of these have displayed anything like this. ...jim

1 - 20 of 33 Posts