Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frustrating to find I couldn’t get it off my drain plug! First time doing an oil change on my 2018 CRV myself, and it really is on there good, can’t get it down the threads. I ended up just reusing it, no leak yet...anyone else have this issue with these?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've had this happen a few times with other vehicles in the past.

I kept an eye on it for leaks/drips, which never happened, and then I had a mechanic remove and replace it when the oil was due for a change again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i've had it happen on other vehicles, usually just end up prying it off with a small screwdriver or something thin to jam between them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It's happened to me a few times. I finally bought a new drain bolt and no more problems. As davemcw said, just pry them off with a small flat-blade screwdriver, or cut them with a Dremel's cutoff wheel.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I get my stuck washers off by working the side of a utility knife blade under it (just firmly roll it against the blade.) They are thin enough to get under there (vs. a screwdriver), but strong enough to not break.

I sometimes toss a spare or two in my cart ($1 ea.) when I'm getting wiper blades or oil filters from RockAuto.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
You really don't need to change that crush washer every time you change oil.
I used the same one for years on my last vehicle and on my three motorcycles.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
Really, the issue with re-using the washers is that it increases the torque required to get a good seal on your pan. This doesn't require super-human strength or anything (a normal wrench is more than adequate), but does increase the likelihood that the threads will either strip on the way in, or bond to the plug and come out with it next time you remove it.

Failure is by no means certain, but a ten-cent washer or $1 plug (if you can't get the washer off) is cheap insurance against having to getting your pan fixed or replaced.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Drain plugs are replacable. Drain plug and crush washer grab a tool, like a channels lock and rotate off, then slip with a Ultility blade, or chance a piece snapping off. and doing damge to the eyes. never know, this forum knows Lol.

Been there done that. and its not tough to get them off but facinating how they stick hard. and I not cut the washer as you can as well cut into the plug and that is where a leak can come from (wink).

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have used the same FRAM quick drain plug on 5 hondas. First on a 95 civic. Never had a leak of any kind. Easy to drain with supplied hose that fits into a used 1 Gal. oil container. The angled plug makes catching the oil tricky. With the fram it is easy. FWIW.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is the crush washer used for my VStrom motorcycle. Narrower side goes downward. Easy to remove after use with a swiss army knife and a bit of wiggling. Some people don’t change them but I figure it is cheap insurance against over tightening the drain bolt and the longer you leave it on, the more difficult it is to remove. Unsure whether Honda uses a true crush washer but will find out when I replace the oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Next oil change, buy a new plug.

Even if you don't use the new plug right away, it's cheap enough to keep a spare on hand.

And a bit off-topic: Why do DIY oil changes always involve a bit of a mess? :)

No longer a problem... after 50 years of doing my own oil changes, nowadays the local dealer handles my routine maintenance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is the crush washer used for my VStrom motorcycle. Narrower side goes downward. Easy to remove after use with a swiss army knife and a bit of wiggling. Some people don’t change them but I figure it is cheap insurance against over tightening the drain bolt and the longer you leave it on, the more difficult it is to remove. Unsure whether Honda uses a true crush washer but will find out when I replace the oil.
Look up a few posts and you'll see the washer Honda uses. It's just a regular ole $.03 to make washer....yet so many weirdos on here call them crush washers. I don't get it.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts