Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I’ve done some research via here and YouTube. Is there an obvious fix to water coming in to the footwell (drivers side only). This is definitely rain water related and is an ongoing problem with a soak carpet when it’s wet. Your thoughts /links greatly appreciated.

Craig

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
check the factory sealant seams they tend to leak after many years they become brittle & starts to leak. You can see where the leak is coming from by using a garden hose. Ask another person while spraying water where you suspect it's coming from while you look under the driver's side dash or under the cowl. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
It is often the plastic cover over the cowl on the bottom of the windshield that causes this leak. It used a foam tape that by now has severely deteriorated. The fix is to remove that plastic cover (without breaking all the plastic that is very brittle by now) and replace the foam with a strip of thin foam insulation from the hardware store (I forget which thickness, but you don't need much thickness for it to work effectively).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had this problem a couple of times on a 1999 CR-V LX no sunroof. Spent a long time chasing it on forums without finding the answer. Had nothing to do with the water in the air intake on the passenger side. Looked like a five gallon bucket of water was dumped on the driver's side floor.

Each time it was a leak in windshield in the upper corner on the driver's side. Finally found it by removing the trim on the Pillar. Found a drip drip drip in the upper corner, but with the rain in Florida it accumulated. First time was 5 years after the original windshield was replaced due to a large crack.

Got the same leak between 4-5 years later. Got the windshield replaced again under the lifetime warranty from the glass company and leak went away again.

In initial troubleshooting I removed the gray trim on the left side of the dash. You could see the rust from where the water ran down the pillar, down the side of the dash, down to the floor where it flooded the carpet.

The glass company thinks it is something about a seam in that area and expansion of the joint. I'm not sure, but they stood by their guarantee and replaced it twice now after the initial replacement of the cracked original.

Hopefully my experience will help you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts