Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a new issue with the CRV. It seems to happen once every few months. Usually within 10 seconds of starting the car, but last night slowing down into a turn at 30mph, car stalled and I lost steering power (scary). A few months back I posted this thread,

and it might possibly be related to the current problem.

The issue is the car stalls unless I keep my foot on the gas. If I take it off, the RPM falls to around 500 and it just stalls. I can get it going after a few tries, but I'd like to solve the problem once and for all. The battery is fine, I checked it and the alternator with a multimeter. I have checked for codes and it seems trouble free, with no check engine light coming on either.

What should I do?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,196 Posts
First of all, if your engine stalls, you can still steer. But the effort will be greatly increased (d'oh).

When you had your linked issue, did you ever try cleaning the throttle body? That is the first thing to try with an erratic idle. Carbon/dirt allows air to pass the closed throttle butterfly and causes surging and a very erratic idle (which can result in stalling, because the electrics don't know how much throttle to apply).

It isn't difficult to DIY, but look up a video or anopther topic...you should NOT just spray a cleaner into the TB.

+++++++++++++

BTW, how many miles on your CR-V? Have you ever had the valve lash adjusted?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sorry I meant power steering! Car is 90K miles. I don't think the idle air valve or tb has ever been cleaned. I will certainly look into that. Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You ARE due for a valve adjustment!
Hi again. I cleaned the idle throttle, but I think I may have found the source of the problem. Last time my car stalled when cornering. Now I find my negative battery terminal is loose, I can wiggle it around. Is a poor ground connection a likely reason for this problem I'm having?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,196 Posts
Is a poor ground connection a likely reason for this problem I'm having?
Possible (depending on how loose it was, or if it was corroded as a result of being loose).

Did you perform the Idle Learn Procedure after cleaning the throttle body? If the ECU hasn't learned, idle will be sporadic.

• 1. Make sure all electrical loads are off (AC, lights, audio, fan, etc)

• 2. Reset the ECU (with code reader, or by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes. Make sure you have the radio code handy if you have the factory radio! ) :rolleyes:

• 3.Turn the ignition switch ON (position II) and wait 2 seconds.

• 4. Start engine. Hold engine speed at 2000 - 3000 RPM without load...this warms up the engine rapidly. Let the cooling fan cycle on.

• 5. Let the engine idle for 5 minutes, throttle fully closed. If the cooling fan comes on, do not count that time in the 5 minutes.
I'd still plan to check the valve clearance. This is a DIY operation, "CHECK TWICE, ADJUST ONCE" It will take you a couple hours if you never did it before.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
393 Posts
Hi again. I cleaned the idle throttle, but I think I may have found the source of the problem. Last time my car stalled when cornering. Now I find my negative battery terminal is loose, I can wiggle it around. Is a poor ground connection a likely reason for this problem I'm having?
I say yes almost certainly, but you'll know soon enough. I would take it off, scrape it clean.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This problem has been resolved, it was the negative battery connection, not tight enough on the terminal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts