Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car starting to have noise on shifting and also not being sure when was last time the oil was replaced. I decided it`s the right time to replace both front and rear transmission oil.

This is my first time and was looking for a good video on youtube but nothing.

Has some of you have a good video or guide plus some tips to make a smooth and hassle free work.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Be careful what manual trans fluid you use as these Honda uses Non Extreme pressure oil in their tranny. If you use Gear oil, you'll get grinding and hard shifting overtime.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I'm with otto888man. Use only Honda Manual Transmission Fluid, and only Honda Dual Pump Fluid II for the rear differential.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,774 Posts
Get two litres dual Pump fluid. Think you should get yourself three litres for the manual transmission.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the fill in and fill out access for the rear trasmission but I`m struggling to understand where the fill in is located for the front trasmission and the level one. Does anyone have a photos or scheme of the area where to look.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,178 Posts
Instead of searching for videos for the CRV manual transmission fluid change, look for Civic manual transmissions......For purpose of fluid change they are the same transmission. Plenty of videos on the Civic.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice tip :)
Do I have to look for the same year model? Do you have any specific model I can search for

Thanks

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,178 Posts
Just about any year is fine. Biggest difference would be removing the plastic cover to get access to the transmission.
The procedure for the manual transmission is the same as doing the rear differential.
You may not need to jack up the car and place 4 jack stands if you can get access by just sliding under the car. You will just have try, some people can do it others can't.
1. Remove the fill plug first (important because you don't want to remove the drain plug only to find the fill plug is stuck )
2. Remove the drain plug
3. Let all the fluid drain
4. Reinstall the drain plug
5. Fill the transmisstion with the Honda's recommended fluid until fluid starts coming out of the fill hole.
6. Reinstall the fill plug
7. Clean up mess, reinstall cover and your done.
The recommend fluid and quantity is list in your owners manual under Specifications.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts