Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This is my first post. We have a 2010 CRV EX 4WD that the wife drives. The car is out of warranty and the dealership wanted $2500 to replace the brake pads, replace front rotors, resurface rear rotos, and replace serpentine belt. I decided to do the brake pads myself.

So I just recently did my first brake pad replacement. It went well (sort of). I was planning to do the front rotors but backed off the idea. I was too concerned I was going to brake the brake line. There was very little play with the front calipers. Plus, I only have the car on jack stands, and I found that I didn't have enough room to get in down there and remove the caliper mounting bolts.

My question is, as its my first brake pad replacement, I am a little worried. What should I be watching out for? I test drive the car. There are no squecks in the brakes. I also took it on the highway and no problems. What are the chances that brake pads in a CRV fall out? From what I could tell, it seems its pretty hard and next to impossible for the brake pads to fall out by the way they fit in the calipers. I also was thrown off by the little metal brackets. I wasn't sure how much I should grease them or whether I should grease them at all. I only greased a little bit the back of the brake pad and the edges/ends where they meet the brackets.

Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Also, any other rookie tips anyone has that I should check -- just in case.

I also didn't do a brake fluid bleed or flush. Was I supposed to? The brake pedal seems to be working normally and its not spongey.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
Congrats on learning to DIY! These skills will save you TONS of money over your lifetime. Plus, you get the satisfaction of knowing that the job is done correctly. (After you get over your N00B anxiety, of course. ) :cool:

Rather than try and type out a long winded response, I suggest you SEARCH YouTube for videos on replacing brakes in a CR-V. Watch those, then come back with any questions.

+++++++++++++

Brake fluid absorbs moisture. That is why Honda recommends replacing it every 3 years regardless of mileage. There are plenty of vids on that, also. I say, DO IT.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The slider pins need to be checked for proper sliding. If they are not free, clean them and grease them with the proper lube, such as Sli-glide or others. If the slider pins are sticking, you will get uneven wear of the pads and reduced braking.
And, as Carbuff2 says, the brake fluid should be flushed every 3 yrs because of water absorption. That's what is recommended but many do longer spans and get away with it. Is it worth waiting longer, your choice.
Buffalo4

·
Banned
806 Posts
I kinda a chuckle as to how much places want to do repairs. That is the reason why I have always learned to do everything myself. Doesn't matter what it is. My kids truck they wanted $500 for a job. Parts were only $50. Labor is what is expensive, and they don't care if the break something or strip something out, as there thinking is you won't notice, and they don't care.

All those things you listed above are very easy to do. I have always looked at it this way. If a job cost's X amount of dollars to have somebody to do it, and I need a tool. I will buy that tool and have it for life. And I will save a few bucks.

Your car being older you can get a factory manual from here. They show you step by step how to do it and what tools are needed for your specific car. Where as a Chilton for example covers several models and you have to decipher what applies to your vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the encouragement. yeah, i also like the idea of doing jobs myself if i can. replacing the pads did like take me about 4 or 5 hours. hopefully next time it should be much faster.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
310 Posts
Thw first thing you can watch out for is greedy dealerships. You know they make more on repairs than they do on new car sales?
Verify those front calipers are in fact bad before replacing them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts