Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Honda Crv 2013 EX-L started giving starting trouble. I got the battery checked at multiple places and the report shows there is no issue. Honda Dealer did a detailed diagnostics but didn't find any specific issue.

The car battery is showing varying test results. Vehicle start gives a cranking sound + dashboard lights flicker when this problem occurs. Also one time it needed a jump start.

Could this be a battery issue or dealer was suggesting to change the starter which could cost around $1000 bucks.

I am sensing this could be likely a battery issue (as the current battery is nearly 3 yrs old - NAPA brand).

Please send in your views/ideas on how to fix this problem.

·
Registered
2007 CRV
17 Posts
So, this is a crank no start?
Just to clear up some issues with corrosion or voltage drop,
I would clean up the battery posts and cable terminals
Follow the negative cable to chassis ground and clean that up.
Find the engine ground strap and clean that up also.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,546 Posts
If the battery had a two or three year warranty, I'd be replacing that item. Make sure the terminals are all clean and properly secured.
the cable cleaning is smart advice.
Let us know what you do and how things go. But my knee jerk reaction to the starter replacement price is rip off.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,271 Posts
The car battery is showing varying test results.
THIS. Replace it (and of course, check the connections both at the battery and the other ends)

Spot-testing at has proven to be inconclusive to many owners...replacing the battery usually resolves the issue.

You may want to consider a larger battery. There are Topics here about using a Group 24 to replace the Group 51.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,318 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Keep us posted on how this goes.

·
Registered
2007 CRV
17 Posts
You may want to consider a larger battery. There are Topics here about using a Group 24 to replace the Group 51.
I would note that the battery used in my CRV is a 51R.
Meaning is the positive and negative post positions are reversed (hence the R)
Please, always check the polarity before hooking up the cables.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, this is a crank no start?
Just to clear up some issues with corrosion or voltage drop,
I would clean up the battery posts and cable terminals
Follow the negative cable to chassis ground and clean that up.
Find the engine ground strap and clean that up also.
It had different behaviors both the time. One time the vehicle went out of charge completely the other time dashboard and lights were working. Vehicle started after 10-15 times but one time had to do a jump start. To rule out battery issue replaced it today

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THIS. Replace it (and of course, check the connections both at the battery and the other ends)

Spot-testing at has proven to be inconclusive to many owners...replacing the battery usually resolves the issue.

Yes - replaced battery today. Fingers crossed - hopefully this solves my issue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts