Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

crv 2018 heater fan stopped working

4601 13
When I turned the car on, a lot of noise (racket) was coming from the area of the glove box. The noise continued for a few minutes and just stopped. I noticed after, that the fan for the heater stopped working. Is it possible for a mouse or small squirrel to have left it's treasure in the fan and ruined it? Or possibly a manufacturing defect. There hasn't been any evidence of mice in the vehicle all winter.
First the recall, now this, and car hasn't even had it's first oil change.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
492 Posts
When I turned the car on, a lot of noise (racket) was coming from the area of the glove box. The noise continued for a few minutes and just stopped. I noticed after, that the fan for the heater stopped working. Is it possible for a mouse or small squirrel to have left it's treasure in the fan and ruined it? Or possibly a manufacturing defect. There hasn't been any evidence of mice in the vehicle all winter.
First the recall, now this, and car hasn't even had it's first oil change.
Remove the cabin air filter which is readily accessible behind the glove box. It's possible something got down there and penetrated the filter as there's no intake screen. If the fan is obstructed, I doubt the motor is ruined. The fuse is probably blown.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. The mechanic looked at the air filter and it had been chewed up by rodents. The chewed up pieces got into the fan/motor and burned the motor out. Why in the world is there no screen on the air intake? I'm not a happy Honda owner. My previous vehicle was a Forester, mice got into the cab every year, but never caused significant, only chewed up any paper that was laying around.

· Registered
492 Posts
Thanks for the input. The mechanic looked at the air filter and it had been chewed up by rodents. The chewed up pieces got into the fan/motor and burned the motor out. Why in the world is there no screen on the air intake? I'm not a happy Honda owner. My previous vehicle was a Forester, mice got into the cab every year, but never caused significant, only chewed up any paper that was laying around.
Thanks for the feedback. Others have had the same issue and questioned the lack of a screen.
I'm also surprised there's no thermal overload to protect the fan motor.

Moral of the story: If the vent fan starts making a racket, shut it off right away and check the cabin filter. Here's a YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eWV_ruumCk

· Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD sold
4,164 Posts
They are likely getting in by chewing on the tubes or the recirculating air intake.

You really need a professional pest control company to bait the foundation of your home and also traps inside your garage.

· Registered
3,068 Posts
Is this not the HVAC fresh air intake (base of windshield driver's side)?????

Windshield Windscreen wiper Automotive exterior Hood Bumper

How does a rodent get thru that?

Isn't the recirculate air intake inside the cab, under the dash?

· Registered
2,063 Posts
Is this not the HVAC fresh air intake (base of windshield driver's side)?????

View attachment 129375

How does a rodent get thru that?

Isn't the recirculate air intake inside the cab, under the dash?
Is it? I am not 100% sure but would love to know?

Rob

· Registered
3,068 Posts
Pretty sure it is.

· Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
3,360 Posts
The fresh air intake is located on the passenger side directly above the blower. You have to remove the plastic cowling to see the opening. There are large drainage openings on the driver / passenger side fenders that allow water that gets behind the cowling to drain off. That how the mice get in. The reason the grill in the cowling is located on the driver side is to prevent water entering the grill from getting sucked into the actual air intake. One day honda may wise up and put a $0.50 grill over the intake to keep rodents out of the cabin, but I doubt it. I know all my previous jeeps had a grill over the actual intake for that very reason.

· Registered
492 Posts
The fresh air intake is located on the passenger side directly above the blower. You have to remove the plastic cowling to see the opening. There are large drainage openings on the driver / passenger side fenders that allow water that gets behind the cowling to drain off. That how the mice get in. The reason the grill in the cowling is located on the driver side is to prevent water entering the grill from getting sucked into the actual air intake. One day honda may wise up and put a $0.50 grill over the intake to keep rodents out of the cabin, but I doubt it. I know all my previous jeeps had a grill over the actual intake for that very reason.
Others have had mice problems on the 5th Gen. due to the lack of a metal grill on the actual intake, as noted in this thread:
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...-etc-gen-5/189003-2017-crv-mice-issues-2.html

· Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
3,360 Posts
Not just 5 gens. it's been a problem on CRV's for at least several generations past. A simple almost zero cost fix, maybe they don't have mice in Japan.

· Registered
3,068 Posts
That grill at the base of the driver's side windshield is definitely the FRESH air intake. This photo shows both halves of the fresh air intake.

Grille Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Bumper

Set the blower to HI, HVAC to FRESH air and stick your hand down at the base of the windshield.....you'll feel a good suction of air being pulled across your hand, into that fresh air intake. Switch over to recirculate and you no longer feel the air flow across your hand at the base of the windshield because the recirculate air intake is inside the cab, under the dash.

Fresh air enters at the base of the windshield (driver's side), is pulled to the passenger side (under the plastic) and then enters the cab thru a passenger side opening. Water drains below the air passage way so maybe critters enter thru water drain holes (or windows left open).:whistle:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.