Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new CRV-EXL a few days ago and wonder where to mount or place the iPhone 8 Plus in a way it is easy accessible and stays firm.
There is another tread about phone mounts in general but I would rather know the specifics of the iPhone 8 Plus in a CRV 2018.
It seems the car trend is to throw a display on the dashboard but not finish thinking trough the process that users need to get their phones connected. Anyways there is this company ProClip which seems to make sturdy mounts a bit overpriced in my opinion but as long it works and if it would look good something to consider.

I personally don't like the current solution they present as it is right in front of the car vent. I also do not consider solutions to clue anything on the dashboard.

Any pictures of current solutions very welcome.

Most likely I won't use a car mount until something good is available as I can use Siri for most tasks anyways but it would be nice to find a good spot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I'm using CarPlay (which is usually more frustrating than helpful), I leave the phone on the little tray under the center arm rest. If I'm using bluetooth (which always works, but then I don't get the CarPlay controls), I use a vent mount that clips to one of the center vents. The vent placement in the CRV is great and it's easy to locate it near the steering wheel or no the passenger side, but in a way that allows the powercord to not be a problem. Cost was about $10 on amazon and there are a LOT to choose from.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I used to get frustrated when connecting cable to my iphone for carpay. Then one day I noticed a message in my iphone that states something like "accessories not connected until unlocked" or something like that. So after I plug the cable, I always put my finger on the iphone to unlock it, then the carplay connection will connect in 5 or so seconds (not immediately unfortunately). This happens also when I connect my phone on my computer, it does not charge until I unlock it first.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My problem is the opposite. It connects, I start driving to work, and then there is a spot on my commute (I'm guessing I'm swapping between towers there, it's remote), where the audio just stops coming through the speakers. The player is still playing, but no audio. I have to stop it, rewind once, count to 5, then hit play and it restarts audio. I get the same effect with different apps. I'm hoping it's my older device (iPhone 6), which is about to be replaced with a XR. I will try it again and see if that is any better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Vehicle Car Vehicle audio Electronics Multimedia

Here's where I have my mount attached. Sorry I couldn't show it with the phone, but I needed the phone to take the picture. :) The cord comes out of the center console, goes behind my coffee mug, and up the edge of the stack to phone. It's completely out of the way and neither blocks view of the controls, nor gets caught as I drink coffee.

FWIW, first time with the XR on Carplay was very successful. I've learned not to claim victory this early, but I'm optimistic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My problem is the opposite. It connects, I start driving to work, and then there is a spot on my commute (I'm guessing I'm swapping between towers there, it's remote), where the audio just stops coming through the speakers. The player is still playing, but no audio. I have to stop it, rewind once, count to 5, then hit play and it restarts audio. I get the same effect with different apps. I'm hoping it's my older device (iPhone 6), which is about to be replaced with a XR. I will try it again and see if that is any better.
I experienced the same on my iPhone 8 Plus but then I downloaded all my music for offline play from iTunes and since then it works well. Same you can do if you have Amazon Music. But you have to download each song from your playlist when at home/office on Wifi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts