Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
Anyone know why CRV 2020 touring does not have pocket behind driver seat like on back passenger seat?
Thank you.
why..... nothing definitive HOWEVER

From a design standpoint , as a driver if you were going to access it you could reach over to pass seat and not behind you causing a crash or just normal cost cutting

Is it normal across trims.. yes

Super Moderator - How may I help?
Anyone know why CRV 2020 touring does not have pocket behind driver seat like on back passenger seat?
Thank you.
Didn't notice, as I never use seat back pockets. Sorry.
If I remember, this was a discussion way back in OH Seventeen.

Registered
Mainly to save a couple dollars, no other reason. My TSX has one behind both passenger and driver, great place to store maps, hotel confirmations, itineraries. The RDX has two as well.

The. Admin. Istrator.
Lucky us in the UK!

Seat back pockets on both front seats!

Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
In my view, you have to look at things like this from a pragmatic point of view.

Honda marketing, like all vehicle marketing teams actually tests the customer market on features, to determine what are deemed "needed" vs what are deemed "nice to have". They do this continually... and the results of their market testing and survey programs gets fed back to the development teams. If market demand for a feature is low, and it costs money to put said feature in every vehicle in a trim level.. it is wasted money and materials.

Where rear pockets on front seats are concerned, the one behind the drivers seat would be pretty low functionality in a Honda. Why? Because you cannot reach it safely as a driver sitting in the seat... but you can reach one behind the passenger seat, not to mention the ever popular under passenger seat pull out drawers that are popular for map storage, etc.

This is why aftermarket accessory businesses continue to thrive... they offer niche addons for niche needs. My wife for example, prefers to hand her purse on the back of her drivers seat... but that is a niche desire, so no vehicle manufacturers that I know of have purse hooks integrated with the drivers seat. But you know what... 2 minutes on Amazon and $6 solved her need with a purse hanging clip that slips under the headrest and clips onto the headrest metal rail. :)

Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
The Harley Owners Group (HOG) used to send me a 50 state road atlas every year. It would end up in the aforementioned pocket. They stopped several years ago with the adoption of GPS. Times change.

Registered
I always keep an atlas and a larger planning map in the pocket. When travelling, the itinerary folder with confirmations etc goes in too. As for my bike, even with a gps, a larger map is always useful to checkout where you are and the daily route. Never know when the gps satellites might go down or the gps breaks down.

Registered
In my view, you have to look at things like this from a pragmatic point of view.

Honda marketing, like all vehicle marketing teams actually tests the customer market on features, to determine what are deemed "needed" vs what are deemed "nice to have". They do this continually... and the results of their market testing and survey programs gets fed back to the development teams. If market demand for a feature is low, and it costs money to put said feature in every vehicle in a trim level.. it is wasted money and materials.

Where rear pockets on front seats are concerned, the one behind the drivers seat would be pretty low functionality in a Honda. Why? Because you cannot reach it safely as a driver sitting in the seat... but you can reach one behind the passenger seat, not to mention the ever popular under passenger seat pull out drawers that are popular for map storage, etc.

This is why aftermarket accessory businesses continue to thrive... they offer niche addons for niche needs. My wife for example, prefers to hand her purse on the back of her drivers seat... but that is a niche desire, so no vehicle manufacturers that I know of have purse hooks integrated with the drivers seat. But you know what... 2 minutes on Amazon and $6 solved her need with a purse hanging clip that slips under the headrest and clips onto the headrest metal rail. :)
Well, I will bet money they never tested customer reaction to not having the outside mirrors not move with the memory seats. That is the one thing that really frosts me about this vehicle. Any other car I have been in or had, no matter the price point, if it had memory seats, the mirrors always moved with the seats. So of course I never thought to check. Won't happen again.

Registered
Funny how people have so many expectations from basically an economy car these days. All these extras are just adding to the overall cost to the consumer. Back in the day, air conditioning, power windows and doors, heated rear windows, anything other than an am radio..etc were all considered luxuries! Heck my 1963 VW beetle actually had a windshield washer (so long as I kept air in my spare tire!)

Registered
Funny how people have so many expectations from basically an economy car these days. All these extras are just adding to the overall cost to the consumer. Back in the day, air conditioning, power windows and doors, heated rear windows, anything other than an am radio..etc were all considered luxuries! Heck my 1963 VW beetle actually had a windshield washer (so long as I kept air in my spare tire!)
I remember that! LOL. I also remember, if my memory isn't playing tricks on me, when the heater was an option. What luxury!

Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
Hell, the VW bug didn't have heat unless you were moving. That is until the Super Beetle came out and had a blower on it. Got caught in a sudden snow storm going back to college one yr and traffic came to a halt for couple of hrs. No fun sitting there w/ no heat even though car was running. We got out and made snowmen and had snowball fights. My next bug was a 73 Super Beetle w/ the blower motor.

The. Admin. Istrator.
Given the breadth of regional variations, and the onslaught of this horrible virus, I suspect most, if not all auto-makers will start to homogenise their products across different global markets as a way to rein in costs.

With disposable income being limited for so very many, buying a car (or house etc) may not be the top priority for a good few years.

Read Only
Lucky us in the UK!

Seat back pockets on both front seats!
Gee, I never noticed there is no map pocked behind the driver's seat in my wife's CR-V. My 2012 Pilot has them on both seats and both have items in them, maps, etc. I'm sure the reason is a cost savings, which doesn't make a lot of sense considering many of the features the car does have, such as the Honda Sensing suite and heated front seats; lots of value for the money.

Read Only
The Harley Owners Group (HOG) used to send me a 50 state road atlas every year. It would end up in the aforementioned pocket. They stopped several years ago with the adoption of GPS. Times change.
Even though I have a GPS, I'd never stop using printed maps. I've used a road atlas for decades. I like to look at a map and get an overview of possible routes. It is so much easier than using a GPS to plan a trip. The most useful features of using my Garmin GPS, besides the built-in dash camera, are the estimated time of arrival, which I've found to be incredibly accurate on short and log trips and extremely useful when planning where to stop and get a motel for the night, and intersection details and information going through major cities.

A standalone GPS is really handy if we fly back to IL and rent a car as I can use it in any car I happen to be driving and have certain destinations already programmed in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts