Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told my 2004 CRV ac coil and solenoid was cracked by honda service dept., other mechanics told me the compressor would most likely need to be replaced. My question is= does the compressor come with the ac coil and solenoid clutch or is that two separate parts?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Welcome to the forum. In answer to your question, normally the clutch/coil assy is seperate from the compressor. I would get 2nd opinion before dropping expensive items. A bad clutch doesn't mean the compressor is bad also. This is QUICK EASY $$$$$$$$. JMHO

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree, the entire AC clutch and electromagnetic actuation system can be serviced without disturbing the AC compressor and its current state of charge.
By selling you a new compressor, they are in effect selling you items you don't have to replace... Might I say this is perhaps very common in today's throw-it-away mindset.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to replace only the coil and clutch but everything I'm reading on other sites say the 2004 CRV ac systems are riddled with problems. There was suppose to be a recall but when I called the dealership they stated on my models VIN number there was no recall or extension of warranty. I'm afraid I'll spend money on coil and clutch only to have something else break down within a few months, which is what many people are saying is happening. I only have 90,000 miles on an 11 year old car, so I hate to start over with another car, but I'm torn. Anyone experienced in these CRV ac problems have any suggestions?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just had my ac clutch replaced on my '06 CRV @110k miles. You are correct that your model year was subject to compressor problems that could possibly result in a very expensive repair, but many with CR-Vs of this vintage report no problems. It's really your call on this one. I would suggest you do what makes you sleep better. I didn't replace the compressor on my '06 as it was still good, but if I owned an '02-04 CR-V I would've considered it. At any rate, if this is the first ac issue you've had with this car, that's not so bad, especially compared to other cars. Truth is, auto ac for almost any vehicle is expensive to fix and is probably not going to last for the typical lifetime of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yes, and no.

I was told my 2004 CRV ac coil and solenoid was cracked by honda service dept., other mechanics told me the compressor would most likely need to be replaced. My question is= does the compressor come with the ac coil and solenoid clutch or is that two separate parts?
This parts list: http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2004-honda-cr-v-5dr_lx_4wd-ka-5mt/a-c-compressor.html

Shows the Clutch Set and the Coil Set separate for about $275, and the Compressor which looks like it includes these two for about $450 - List $650! If so, the compressor is only $175 more than the Clutch/Coil sets.

I would take this list to Honda dealers parts manager until I found one that will give me similar price, adding shipping charges, and replace both.

I can only make a wild guess at Honda Dealer labor but a guess would be $300 to $400?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts