Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just bought my 2016 Black edition 16dtec in October really like the vehicle. Not to happy regarding apple car play on the infotainment system, anything I can do to resolve this.
any help would be gratefully appreciated.. cheers!
Sorry if you've read this before, someone suggested I post it here.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
That was me! Please give us specific details on the issues you're having. I've seen a lot of different posts on these issues here. So you are not alone!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was me! Please give us specific details on the issues you're having. I've seen a lot of different posts on these issues here. So you are not alone!
It doesn't support apple play, that's my issue. Is it true that you can somehow reset the system to the factory settings and then upload some software to enable apple play?
If this can be done, will it cause issues with the electronics etc?
I use an iPhone and not an android system fan. too old to change lol.
Thanks for any help.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,602 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly, the 4th Gen Black Edition has a slightly different infotainment unit which is not compatible with (Cr)Apple Carplay.

You have two options - stream via bluetooth or via USB cable.

Not sure whether Honda Hack would cure it, but if your car is still under any sort of warranty, I wouldnt piss around with it.

Reactions: Terryp129

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If my memory serves me correctly, the 4th Gen Black Edition has a slightly different infotainment unit which is not compatible with (Cr)Apple Carplay.

You have two options - stream via bluetooth or via USB cable.

Not sure whether Honda Hack would cure it, but if your car is still under any sort of warranty, I wouldnt piss around with it.
Yeah I agree Dark knight not worth messing about with....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Terry, I am from the UK and recently bought a 2015 CRV a few months back. I believe you have the Premium car stereo which is Android based but version wise it's quite old (think 4.0).

Like you in wasn't happy that this unit could not support Android/Car Play (worst for me was that I also had at that time a Kenwood unit which supported this) so was disappointed.

However there is a guide on the net linking to another forum full of people in the same situation. The originator of this thread actually created a hack allowed you to install apps on the Headunit.

See screenshot of my Headunit screen.
Hi just bought my 2016 Black edition 16dtec in October really like the vehicle. Not to happy regarding apple car play on the infotainment system, anything I can do to resolve this.
any help would be gratefully appreciated.. cheers!
Sorry if you've read this before, someone suggested I post it here.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information buddy, where abouts YouTube? Does this hinder any of the current electrics lane assist, sensors and cameras and all? Is it simple to carry out, I’m not the cleverest regarding tech etc! Thanks again ??

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,602 Posts
Thanks for the information buddy, where abouts YouTube? Does this hinder any of the current electrics lane assist, sensors and cameras and all? Is it simple to carry out, I’m not the cleverest regarding tech etc! Thanks again ??
No, HondaHack wont hamper anything else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apologies for the late reply. This definitely doesn't hinder any of the car instruments as quoted. My sensors (front and rear), Reverse camera, cruise control all work perfectly. Also the top info display above the car stereo showing the clock and car performance all work normally.

If I was to pose some negatives is that the steering controls don't work on Spotify, therefore skipping, rewinding has to be done manually (via swiping the Headunit). Also the app performance is quite slow. Sometimes painful but it's liveable. I have installed Waze and occasionally the app doesn't respond but 80% of the time it is solid and works. If it does freeze you reboot the app and then it's fine. Also more importantly you need WIFI for this all to work so unlimited data is a must!

Tbh the process for doing this is a little hairy. I initially stumbled across this forum which is over 200 pages deep - Honda Connect Android System

I can't remember what page the instructions start but at page 101 you see a reference to what needs to be done. There you then back trace through previous pages for the full instructions.

View this video which shows the process done on a Honda Civic which has the same head unit

With regards to the apps I got it from here - CMDroid

The above link to the app apk website also has a guide.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, HondaHack wont hamper anything else.
Thanks
Apologies for the late reply. This definitely doesn't hinder any of the car instruments as quoted. My sensors (front and rear), Reverse camera, cruise control all work perfectly. Also the top info display above the car stereo showing the clock and car performance all work normally.

If I was to pose some negatives is that the steering controls don't work on Spotify, therefore skipping, rewinding has to be done manually (via swiping the Headunit). Also the app performance is quite slow. Sometimes painful but it's liveable. I have installed Waze and occasionally the app doesn't respond but 80% of the time it is solid and works. If it does freeze you reboot the app and then it's fine. Also more importantly you need WIFI for this all to work so unlimited data is a must!

Tbh the process for doing this is a little hairy. I initially stumbled across this forum which is over 200 pages deep - Honda Connect Android System

I can't remember what page the instructions start but at page 101 you see a reference to what needs to be done. There you then back trace through previous pages for the full instructions.

View this video which shows the process done on a Honda Civic which has the same head unit

With regards to the apps I got it from here - CMDroid

The above link to the app apk website also has a guide.
thanks very much for getting back to me, I’ll give it a go after studying the videos etc!! Thanks again
pal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts