Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a horrible situation last night when we were driving on the highway.

Our honda crv 2018 exl which is not even 2 weeks old,brand new,started shaking and wobbling and stopped in the mid road.all the safety systems failed and there were warnings on the dashboard, brake system problem, all wheel drive system problem, tire pressure monitor problem, electric parking brake problem,road departure mitigation system problem,collision mitigation system problem, lane keeping assist problem,adaptive cruise control problem,hill start assist problem, vehicle stability assist problem,anti lock brake system problem,power steering system problem, you name it.everything went wrong.we had a baby in the car seat behind and could have ended up in an accident.all the safety features failed.honda doesnt have an answer for it. Very unsafe to drive this car in the highway if it suddenly stops and what if we get hit by car or truck behind us.honda has no solution.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,405 Posts
Moved to the 2017 - Present section. :D

·
Registered
986 Posts
Odd Honda didn't address the issue with 2018 production but Honda quality isn't shining these days. This is a safety issue and should be fixed pronto or you should be compensated via lemon law etc.

Unfortunately, others have reported similar issues and got the same Honda response. Some entered a report with NHTSA.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

And there is at least one ambulance chaser:

http://www.lemberglaw.com/Honda-CRV

·
Registered
2,521 Posts

Our honda crv 2018 exl which is not even 2 weeks old,brand new,started shaking and wobbling and stopped in the mid road.all the safety systems failed and there were warnings on the dashboard, brake system problem, all wheel drive system problem, tire pressure monitor problem, electric parking brake problem,road departure mitigation system problem,collision mitigation system problem, lane keeping assist problem,adaptive cruise control problem,hill start assist problem, vehicle stability assist problem,anti lock brake system problem,power steering system problem, you name it.everything went wrong.we had a baby in the car seat behind and could have ended up in an accident.all the safety features failed.honda doesnt have an answer for it. Very unsafe to drive this car in the highway if it suddenly stops and what if we get hit by car or truck behind us.honda has no solution.
Wrong, because the light came on doesn't mean a problem.

Secondly relying on safety features to be able to safely operate a car, you shouldn't be driving. A normal person would have had no problem simply moving off to the side of the road because NO CAR CAN SUDDENLY BRING ITSELF TO A DEAD STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. Not even possible.

Sounds like someone pushed the stop/start button not a vehicle failure. Though I dont have one to know what happens when you push the button while driving in new CRVs but that's what it sounds like.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are you saying that the dealer did a full diagnostic and no error codes showed up?

I had a similar experience when I was driving my new 2018 EX-L home from the dealer. With just 23 miles on the odometer and while driving about 65mph on the highway, all the vehicle warning lights starting flashing on the dashboard and the car suddenly lost power. It did not "stop" in the middle of the road as you described (if you actually mean stopped moving - or did you mean it just stopped working?). Car was towed back to dealer and there was an error code for the transmission control module (TCM). They replaced with a new TCM and subsequently the car has been fine (only about 1300 miles on it now).

I find it strange that you are indicating they found no error codes in the system. At the very least, if your symptoms are similar to what I described above, maybe have them double-check the TCM.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,351 Posts

Something doesn't sound right here. :confused2:

You wrote down every warning so you could post it here? You said "Honda has no solution" and you said this happened last night? Did you actually take it to a dealer? Things just don't add up

·
Registered
'18 CR-V Ex-L AWD & '13 CR-V Ex-L AWD
1,633 Posts
Wild claims are easy to make. How about posting documentation from the dealer to back up the claim? Otherwise the crying wolf will not be listened to.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Wild claims are easy to make. How about posting documentation from the dealer to back up the claim? Otherwise the crying wolf will not be listened to.
Come on Jim ....everybody knows that you read it on the internet IT MUST BE TRUE :=)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I found this.. Very interesting... Looks like it is very possible

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAd...r_system_safety_failures_failures_2017_honda/

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
That's a 2017 Accord Hybrid. Besides being a Hybrid the engine is different and all the control electronics are different. Also there has probably never been a mass produced vehicle that has not had catastrophic electronic failures on a a very small percentage of the vehicles produced.

Rob

·
Registered
2,185 Posts

Well it does prove that if there is a problem people jump on a forum within hours to let it be known.

I am not going to say I do not believe the story but it certainly has elements that are stretched. As pointed out no vehicle comes to a complete stop like you described. Also the time line of you having the problem to receiving a notification from Honda that they "don't have an answer for it" to you then creating this thread all feels a bit off. I am not sure if your saying that the car is now working and Honda has no explanation for what happened via a phone conversation because that would be plausible that if you tell Honda that all of this happened but the car is now running fine then Yes they would have no clue unless you bought it in for a code check and even then it might not be a vehicle problem. As stated you might have pressed and held down the start button while driving. That would shut down the engine and might throw up a bunch of errors on the dash, but the vehicle would roll to a stop unless you applied the brakes.

Rob

·
Registered
986 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I brain farted more than once and accidentally pushed the start/stop button in my Accord when I meant to turn on or off the AC. Haven’t done it in my CRV yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don’t have the problem like TO but last Sunday when I stop at a Stop Sign, my brand new CRV also just shut itself down. I had to put the shifter back to Parking and restarted the engine again. I took it to the dealer, where I bought the car from, they checked out my engine and oil level. They said my oil has a strong gas smell and it’s very dark; they then processed to called Honda Corp. for advice. After 5 long hours of waiting in the dealer, they said Honda Corp. told them to change the oil for me for free. They can’t find any error code and they are continuing investigate why my oil has the strong smell of gasoline issue. They released my car and told me to come back after when I reach 5000 miles. I brought my car in when it was 3000 miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don’t have the problem like TO but last Sunday when I stop at a Stop Sign, my brand new CRV also just shut itself down. I had to put the shifter back to Parking and restarted the engine again. I took it to the dealer, where I bought the car from, they checked out my engine and oil level. They said my oil has a strong gas smell and it’s very dark; they then processed to called Honda Corp. for advice. After 5 long hours of waiting in the dealer, they said Honda Corp. told them to change the oil for me for free. They can’t find any error code and they are continuing investigate why my oil has the strong smell of gasoline issue. They released my car and told me to come back after when I reach 5000 miles. I brought my car in when it was 3000 miles.

Ummmm .... Have you looked around this forum yet? You are going to love it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ummmm .... Have you looked around this forum yet? You are going to love it!
I wish I can find this forum before I bought the car, but yes I did read most of the posts in here. Even though the oil smell gas in there but I didn't experience the overfill symptom. Just cross my fingers Honda will release a fix soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts

You might ask the dealer to check to see if there are any software updates. I had a problem with my 2017 CR-V where the battery kept going dead. This persisted even after the dealer replaced the battery. One time after jump starting it, I saw similar symptoms, where every safety system was reporting a problem. This eventually cleared itself up.

It turns out that there was a software update to fix an issue where setting the electronic parking brake caused a parasitic draw on the battery, so that if I set the brake, then didn't drive the car for a few days, the battery was dead. Why checking for such updates is not a standard procedure I have no idea, but when I insisted they check, sure enough they found it.

I don't really know if this is related to the original problem or not, because my model year is different and the circumstances of when all the warnings occurred are different, but it is clear that the dealer service people are not as diligent as they ought to be about checking for software updates.

--Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too had this issue literally within days of getting my new crv end if December. There was a software update in Jan. My cbms doesn’t engage at all and lane departure is very unpredictable. Honda stayed this is “as designed”. I have put in complaints to Honda, nsta and better business buearu and consumer reports. Because Honda doesn’t see this as a problem. Scared me

1 - 20 of 29 Posts