Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2016 EXL because they had no EXL Navi's in stock, and to get in on the best pricing I had to buy from dealer stock.
I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to purchase the Honda OEM Navi head unit (radio navi combo) and put it into my EXL?
I asked the service department they said they are not sure.
I have seen on amazon some non OEM units that have Navi and claim they are plug and play for an EXL, which leads me to believe that the wiring for the navi exists behind the current unit, but, does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Why do you want it? In my last 2 cars, I went to a lot of trouble to find a loaded car without Navi. They don't work nearly as well as a good Garmin and map updates costs more than a Garmin with lifetime updates. My friend has a new BMW X5 with Navi but he uses his Garmin because it works better and is more detailed.

I also have a 2016 EX-L that I have a 5" Garmin in (that I moved from my Kia Optima). I found a can of food from the grocery store that fit the front cup holder that had a top or bottom that the suction cup worked on. I then ran the cord to the power outlet in the console. I did put a piece of plastic in the cup holder to stabilize the can. The Garmin works great there and turns on and off with the ignition. I lose the use of one cup holder that was seldom used. I paid a little over $100 for a factory refurbished Garmin from Ebay (read the fine print). It looked and performed like new and it has the same warranty as a new one (I suspect it was an excess inventory factory new one).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Massachusetts is too cold to leave a GPS in the car all the time. And it kind of puts a damper on being spontaneous travel if I have to remember to bring my GPS with me.
Plus it's too hot in the summer to leave a GPS in the car.
I went to the dealership today, they told me if I were to buy the OEM Honda head unit, it would cost 4400.00 plus installation and no guarantee the car is wired to work with it.
So after the holidays I will go to the local audio stores and see what options they have

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Massachusetts is too cold to leave a GPS in the car all the time. And it kind of puts a damper on being spontaneous travel if I have to remember to bring my GPS with me.
Plus it's too hot in the summer to leave a GPS in the car.
I went to the dealership today, they told me if I were to buy the OEM Honda head unit, it would cost 4400.00 plus installation and no guarantee the car is wired to work with it.
So after the holidays I will go to the local audio stores and see what options they have
The only heat related issue I have ever had with a GPS was when it was in direct sunlight on the windshield on on the dash. It would go blank until it cooled off. I have had a GPS in the console area of my cars since 2011. I have left them in the car year round without problems. I had one go bad two or three years ago and I had to replace it. My total cost of having a GPS in my car all the time from 2011 through now has been $220 with the one replacement.

Why would a built in factory or aftermarket GPS survive in a car better than a portable one? My GPS with lifetime updates is cheaper than one map update for a built in GPS (and I get 4 updates per year).

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
Had no problems leaving my garmin on the dash in Massachusetts winters. I have had them shut down in summer, but that unit ultimately failed within the warranty and got replaced.

Have you looked into the costs if an upgraded unit?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I asked what the OEM Honda head unit would cost yesterday, which nixed this idea, 4400 bucks just for the unit, not including installation, and no guarantee it would work without wiring modifications.
I saw a video last night that allows me to use my Samsung phone and an app to put navi onto the screen, the only down side is the app is free for 7 days then it costs 79 bucks, But that's better than the cost of putting a navi unit into the car

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im guessing built in units can tolerate more heat and more cold than a portable unit because they don't fail or go blank in heat or cold

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Im guessing built in units can tolerate more heat and more cold than a portable unit because they don't fail or go blank in heat or cold
My portable has never had a problem since I put it in my car since 2011. The only time it ever went blank was when it was in direct sunlight before I put it on the console. Built-in units don't sit in direct sunlight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a solution, the 2016 Supports Mirrorlink with my Android phone, I can use Sygic Car navigation and it shows up on the screen of the car so I dont have to try to peep at the little screen of my phone.
79 bucks for the app, but way cheaper than swapping the head unit in the CRV haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts