Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am looking at buying a used gen 5 EX hybrid latest facelift model. According to online searches it says the facelift model was released in 2021 but I can’t see the difference between the 20 Plate and 21 Plate models on sale. Can anyone tell me what was the first registration of the facelift model ie 20, 70 or 21? Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,809 Posts
Going to move this to UK and other markets for more relevant replies.
You folks have had the hybrid longer than us Yanks have.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,631 Posts
Hi,
I am looking at buying a used gen 5 EX hybrid latest facelift model. According to online searches it says the facelift model was released in 2021 but I can’t see the difference between the 20 Plate and 21 Plate models on sale. Can anyone tell me what was the first registration of the facelift model ie 20, 70 or 21? Many thanks
Hi there

The "facelift" actually had very little in the way of the face being change like in the USA.

The biggest change came internally where the cig lighter was removed and a wireless chargepad installed for the top EX trim.

Other than that, the "facelift" from Honda saw the 1.5T engine dropped and only the 2.0 Hybrid is available now.

Happy to answer any follow up Q's you have...

(Also believe the first reg of the facelift was late 70-plate)

Reactions: UK-Kev and Au175

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. Not much of a change then! I do want one without the wood trim which I am not a fan of, so not sure whether that was part of the facelift. So they’ve not changed anything else, ie bumper or lights? The engine seems to be the same as well.

Also, what kind of electric only mileage does it give? I was looking at the rav4 but thought the cvt engine didn’t sound great and the road noise was way too much. So now looking at the crv. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
"How much electric only mileage?" is not the correct question to ask.
ALL of the hybrid's miles are gasoline-derived, it's an HEV not a PHEV.
You might get a mile or possibly a little more on battery alone, but that's not what it's designed to do.
The battery is there to even out the ups and downs of demand, and give the car a place to store energy recovered by regen braking.
The battery is NOT intended to drive the car. It can do so for a mile, but that's more gimmick than feature.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
If you are concerned with electric only driving then RAV4 PHEV is the way to go, 50 miles on battery alone.

Reactions: Au175

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m not precious about electric only driving, I was just curious and I totally understand the dynamic of this type of hybrid. Was just comparing to the rav4 which had a similar mild hybrid but the petrol kicked in anything above 5mph.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,631 Posts
Thank you. Not much of a change then! I do want one without the wood trim which I am not a fan of, so not sure whether that was part of the facelift. So they’ve not changed anything else, ie bumper or lights? The engine seems to be the same as well.

Also, what kind of electric only mileage does it give? I was looking at the rav4 but thought the cvt engine didn’t sound great and the road noise was way too much. So now looking at the crv. Cheers
Electric range has been kindly answered by the chaps above, but in short, the CR-V Hybrid is not a plug-in type car.

No other cosmetic exterior changes, except alloy wheels. Only a fanatic like me would probably ident the differences :p

The 2.0 Hybrid engine is unchanged too.

As for the interior panels, you can change them - but if you are buying used, you might not get much of a choice. Alternatively, you can buy them separately or wrap them. (Mine are silver, which I specc'd at order).

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
I’m not precious about electric only driving, I was just curious and I totally understand the dynamic of this type of hybrid. Was just comparing to the rav4 which had a similar mild hybrid but the petrol kicked in anything above 5mph.
That's a "parallel" hybrid system, and the reason I don't go with a Toyota hybrid. A box full of planetary gears is just too close to an automatic transmission for my taste.
The Toyota
The Honda runs in "Serial Hybrid" mode most of the time, and uses just clutches, no planetaries required.
It's only at low-load highway speeds that the ICE drives the wheels directly. Think of it as an "Overdrive".

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do like the up-specced wheels and I deffo want the silver dash trim so I’m guessing I need to look for 70 plate as a min on a EX.

I’m guessing the AWD drives better on everyday roads as I’d want that as well.

I almost bought one 3/4 years ago and had the SR 1.5 petrol 7 seater one for a weekend. I thought the mpg wasn’t great, wasn’t a massive fan of the cvt and audio was poor. I take it that the first 2 points can now be overcome on hybrid version but latter point is something I’d just have to live with but with the added addition of Apple CarPlay which is a big positive for me in order to override the poor infotainment system. I take it that Apple CarPlay is only available from the facelift model.

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
Depends on what your "everyday roads" are I suppose.
AWD costs you mileage, and more in maintenance, possibly more in tires.
I would not have AWD if I didn't drive on snow for half the year.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,631 Posts
I do like the up-specced wheels and I deffo want the silver dash trim so I’m guessing I need to look for 70 plate as a min on a EX.

I almost bought one 3/4 years ago and had the SR 1.5 petrol 7 seater one for a weekend. I thought the mpg wasn’t great, wasn’t a massive fan of the cvt and audio was poor. I take it that the first 2 points can now be overcome on hybrid version but latter point is something I’d just have to live with but with the added addition of Apple CarPlay which is a big positive for me in order to override the poor infotainment system. I take it that Apple CarPlay is only available from the facelift model.
The 7-seat CR-V is simply impractical.

I have the 1.5T EX (avec 19" wheels) and love the CVT. Intending to rip out the headunit next year, but I dont mind the audio.

As for AWD - it depends on your terrain/elevation where you drive. For most, even the 2WD Hybrid will be fine.

Android Auto/CrApple Carplay is available on all 5th Gen CR-Vs in the UK. Neither are wireless.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Apple CarPlay - I’m sure the 68 plate one I had did not have Apple CarPlay, unless I missed it.

To be honest, the 7 seater version was better for my needs and this was the main reason I shortlisted the crv. However, the poor mpg on the 1.5 petrol, cvt, wood dash, no Apple CarPlay, poor infotainment, and alloys that I didn’t like, all contributed to me walking away 3 years ago.

I currently drive a bmw 3 series, but 3 years later after the test drive, I’m still looking for a 7 seat suv within my budget that I like, and guess what, I’m still no further forward and still in a bmw. Other 7 seater options such as Kia, Seat, Skoda etc simply don’t float my boat.

So therefore I’ve decided to pursue 5 seat suvs. Had my mind set on the rav4 but was not impressed with the drive. Aesthetically I prefer the Tiguan R Line but they dont do a hybrid and the reliability is questionable. So it looks like I am back to the Honda, a car (5th gen) that I have always liked aesthetically. I’ve realised I’m never going to get everything unless I went premium SUV but their prices are ridiculous. BTW I also own a Yaris.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,631 Posts
Apple CarPlay - I’m sure the 68 plate one I had did not have Apple CarPlay, unless I missed it.
Baseline/entry models probably dont. Depends on the trim (or indeed you may have missed it).

However, the poor mpg on the 1.5 petrol
Disagree - I've had the 1.5T in a 2019 Civic and now this 1.5T CR-V. Driven properly/sensibly, I can get 45-50mpg for fun - all without using the useless ECON mode. But driven enthusiastically, I can get 7mpg too :giggle:

The 1.5T engine is one of the best Honda engines I have ever had.

I’ve realised I’m never going to get everything unless I went premium SUV but their prices are ridiculous.
"Premium" is a myth frankly - the value depends on what a person wants.

But if you go CR-V Hybrid, you only get five seats.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the 1.5 I managed to get high 20s on urban and 37-38 on motorway. Maybe it’s because it was a new engine at the time. Your figures seem much better.

I did have the SR model - I didn’t see Apple car play on menu from memory, unless it doesn’t show.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,631 Posts
Screen grab from Honda UK:

SR trim does indeed have AA/CP:

Font Art Rectangle Magenta Circle

As for MPG, yes, its continuously improved... :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That settles that then! :p

I’m going to try and test drive one. Any points to look out for, especially on the engine side?
Also, it doesn’t make that funny ufo sound when u reverse like the rav4? That was enough to put me off!

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,631 Posts
That settles that then! :p

I’m going to try and test drive one. Any points to look out for, especially on the engine side?
Also, it doesn’t make that funny ufo sound when u reverse like the rav4? That was enough to put me off!
The Hybrid does make a distinct whirring sound - but then, all Hybrids do.

As for the engine on the Hybrid - no, nothing noteworthy to say. Which is exactly what you want to see/hear - the engine simply - works. It is a flawless piece of engineering, much like the 1.5T.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Get a wireless dongle for your Carplay. You'll love it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That UFO noise is meant to alert pedestrians -- and it does work. There's something about the noise that captures attention. Most look up, some look surprised, a few look annoyed.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts