Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what is a decent mpg for the Gen#1 1998 CRV 2.0, 5speed 179,000 miles, would be. Wanted to see how she was running .

·
Registered
123 Posts
My '98 averages between 17-18 mpg city and the best I've gotten on the road, using cruise control, is 26 mpg. That's after new air filter, plugs, plug wires and valves adjusted properly using regular gas. I'm a cruiser not a racer so my foot is rarely in it unless climbing a hill. My '98 has 192K mi.

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
323 Posts
Best I've gotten with my auto '98 is 27.5 on the highway. I was going for higher MPG's because I was driving 9 hours straight from PA to SC.
Engine has 140K on it and running as it should.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just returned from my trip, all highway mileage driving average 65 mph. I was really happy with the result, she got 27 mpg !

·
Registered
121 Posts
Got my 2001 CRV in September, gas milage has gone down : 27.5, 22.9, 23.4, 22.9, 21.6, 19.3, 17.0, 17.9 (these per Fuelly App calculations). Just had the Transmission fluid changed and Catalytic converter changed. It was backing up exhaust. So I expect mileage to get better. Yep- new plugs and wires would help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wondering what is a decent mpg for the Gen#1 1998 CRV 2.0, 5speed 179,000 miles, would be. Wanted to see how she was running .
I have a gen 1 us spec crv. On a good day i might get 300 miles to tank. Can anyone tell me if thats the norm?.The crv has over 155,000 on odometer. Should i use a higher octane? Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,086 Posts
BG is at 225k now. I usually get around 25mpg combined. If I do all highway driving, it'll go up to around 27-27.5.

Factors that affect fuel economy for me:

Tire pressure. In city driving, pump them to the max for efficiency. For highway driving, a more moderate pressure will give you better fuel economy and comfort. I've been running 36psi lately, but when I was doing more city driving, I'd do 38-40. 34-35 is ok for highway driving. Anything less than that, however, will give you shoulder wear.

Excess cargo will weigh you down and reduce city efficiency, but it makes no difference on the highway unless it's extreme.

Excess fuel has the same effect as excess cargo. I always get better fuel economy in the bottom half of the tank than I do after filling up. I'll always fill up, mostly to monitor fuel economy, but I've found it the be noticeably better when I've let it get closer to an empty tank before filling. Don't run your car out of gas though because that can damage the fuel pump.

Of course, accelerating. I have a light thouch on the gas. Typically, I'll never see the tach go over 3000 unless I'm climbing the mountain to get home, and then, there's like 1 spot where I push it to 4000. Coasting is also helpful. Usually if I know I'm going to have to slow down or stop (like for traffic lights), I'll take my foot off the gas as soon as I'm moving fast enough that I can get there without engine power.

The air conditioner uses fuel. If I use the AC a lot, I can lose 2-3mpg over it.

Excess speed uses fuel. I haven't calculated it thoroughly because I don't usually go fast, but I believe consistently driving fast will cost about 1mpg per 5-10mph over 65, based on the few times I've been late to work. 😂😂

As far as range, I believe BG can do 300-350 miles on a tank, but I don't usually go more than 200 miles from full. That's partially because I have a long commute and I'm paranoid about being stranded far from home, and partially because I try to get gas at Costco, and they aren't open late. I also laugh when I fill up faster than a Prius because I'm only replacing 8 gallons. 😂😂

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,086 Posts
Here's the thing about higher octane fuel. The number you see is not a measure of how powerful it is, it is a measure of how fast the fuel burns. That number is actually called the Anti-Knock Index. Octane is technically a different number that you don't see.

Basically, the higher the number, the slower it burns. That's why using lower grades of fuel will damage the car. If the fuel burns to quickly, it creates engine knock and damages bearings. Just throwing higher grade (slower burning) fuel in won't give you more power because your engine is still turned the use the faster burning fuel.

I even tried it in BG because gas was so cheap in the spring, and my fuel economy dropped to 23.

If you re-tuned your car to run 91, you could probably get more power and fuel economy, but you wouldn't be able to run 87 anymore, and the process to do that is super expensive.

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
200 Posts
Almost all passenger vehicles are engineered to go about 300 miles on a tank of gas. These have a 15 gallon tank so that is quite normal. I get 21 mpg on average, can get 25 all highway if it's not uphill all the time. I also don't putt around. These engines are spinners, so i spin them. They make zero power until spun up. Shame they have the long tube intakes designed for low end. I think short intake runners would help a little on the highway, probably not much. As Lochnivar said, premium won't give you better mileage. Roof rack is an easy 1 mpg difference on highway. Alignment off will affect mileage if you're dragging a tire or two around and obviously all the tune up stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts