Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
You certainly can add a hitch to hold a bike rake at the rear. I don't think there is an issue with adding a hitch, only that you not tow a load with it. A bike rack represents a small incremental load, including the bikes, that clearly you can handle said weight in the cargo bay too. I think not-towing on Hybrids, is much more about not putting stresses on the electric drive motors to the wheels... from a Honda perspective.

Thing is.. I would check first to see if there are any differences underneath the rear of the CRV between a hybrid and a non-hybrid. Any difference might make selecting a hitch mount and installing a bit more tricky.

If it were me, I would first consult with the dealer for opinions and suggestions, re a bike rack hitch attachment. I'm not saying I would have a dealer do a hitch install.. only that informed feedback from a dealer would be helpful for you I think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hope this helps to answer some questions. Like you I wanted to add a hitch for a bike rack. I called around to all the major hitch manufacturers and dealers, and none of them list a hitch for the CR-V Hybrid. I talked to my local Honda parts department manager, who then contacted Honda. Honda does not recommend any aftermarket solution. As noted in related discussions in this forum, the manual states that towing violates the warranty. This seems odd since:

(1) The manual states that tongue weight should be considered when calculating vehicle load. I think this is left over from some boilerplate information.
(2) The European version allows for towing. There could be many reasons why this is not so in US/NA - I could not find out why.

Our bikes would not easily fit inside the CR-V Hybrid. Too much disassembly. Depending on your bicycle sizes, weight and count, inside or a rack on the hatch, or even the roof might be an option. We had to use our second vehicle for hauling bikes.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,155 Posts
This is another reason I have requested (in past Topics) pictures of the underside of the Hybrid and 'regular' CR-V.

The other Topic stated that USA Honda would not allow even a hitch used for bicycle transport.

·
Registered
568 Posts
have a look at this link to the uk honda dealer website
In the UK we can have this fitted to our hybrids and it looks like it is the same one for non hybrids

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to you all. I think some of the problem is that with all the quarantine, people are just not up to speed. I actually had to tell my dealer that the manual said "no towing." He then suggested going to U-Haul. I asked at RackNRoad and they saw no problem becuase their computer said "All models" but they the admitted that they didn't even know there was a hybrid model that might be listed separately. So I guess I'm really hoping someone is going to say they have actually done it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
have a look at this link to the uk honda dealer website
In the UK we can have this fitted to our hybrids and it looks like it is the same one for non hybrids
Thanks for the info. It costs over $700 so I'll see if I can find anythine here

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
See this thread, sounds like the OP has his 2018 hitch on his new 2020 hybrid

You might need to decide between a 1 1/4" or a 2" receiver

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
See this thread, sounds like the OP has his 2018 hitch on his new 2020 hybrid

You might need to decide between a 1 1/4" or a 2" receiver

Ma
I'm sorry but I can't find the reference

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just had our hitch installed this week. etrailer hitch etrailer gave awesome service, advice, delivery and even follow-up. Used friend's local body shop (Dino's Goleta, CA). 2 hour installation. Wish Honda was more informed about CRV hitch compatibility. Local or nationwide customer service couldn't seem to answer whether a hitch was compatible or not. Had us running scared as we use a Yakima hitch rack for our bikes. No worries now. We have an EX with parking sensors and just have to remember to turn those off when the rack is on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks nice. I like how the plastic cover was cut minimally to avoid interference with the left side vertical plate (that's attached to the frame of the car). I thought we needed new part (from non-hybrid) that doesn't cover the non-exhaust (left) side.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V hybrid Executive trim Premium Chrystal Red Metallic
82 Posts
My Hybrid with its new hitch

Some other brands sell cars on the Dutch market that aren't allowed to tow something: Prius, specific VW model: the VW Up.
Hitch sellers have overcome this problem producing a special 'bike' hitch for those cars: not with a round 'head' (I have no idea if there's a special term for that part in English - after all, I'm Dutch), but with a square 'head' that fits exactly onto the bike rack.

A fact sheet picture from Toyota:

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
Excellent pics there.

Sonic Grey Pearl is definitely an awesome colour on the CR-V for sure :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just had our hitch installed this week. etrailer hitch etrailer gave awesome service, advice, delivery and even follow-up. Used friend's local body shop (Dino's Goleta, CA). 2 hour installation. Wish Honda was more informed about CRV hitch compatibility. Local or nationwide customer service couldn't seem to answer whether a hitch was compatible or not. Had us running scared as we use a Yakima hitch rack for our bikes. No worries now. We have an EX with parking sensors and just have to remember to turn those off when the rack is on. View attachment 139544
View attachment 139546 View attachment 139547
View attachment 139548
View attachment 139549
View attachment 139550
View attachment 139551
View attachment 139552
This is great, thanks for posting and for the photos. I just tried to get a bike trailer hitch installed today on my hybrid, and the hitch that was supposed to work didn’t fit. Which brand of trailer hitch is yours (is etrailer the brand or installer?) I don’t which manufacturer that was.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is great, thanks for posting and for the photos. I just tried to get a bike trailer hitch installed today on my hybrid, and the hitch that was supposed to work didn’t fit. Which brand of trailer hitch is yours (is etrailer the brand or installer?) I don’t which manufacturer that was.
Ordered this hitch from trailer.com and had it installed by local body shop works perfectly https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/etrailer/e98848.html

·
Registered
262 Posts
I know the the CRV Hybrid has no towing package but can you add a trailer hitch for a bike rack?
Yes. If it's a Touring, gotta get the adapter for the "kick" sensor.

Here's the Honda Trailer Hitch $280

1 - 20 of 45 Posts