Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2021 CRV hybrid which has an annoying rattle in the rear. When I first heard it, the day after I bought the car, it sounded like a loose nut in a tank. It’s quite loud and very noticeable. Now that I have had the chance to hear it more, it sounds like something metallic just rocking off balance and the settling back in place. It only happens when I accelerate at low speeds and definitely when I make a right hand turn after stopping. I recorded the sound but the dealer has no clue what it can be and thinks it may be a rock! The metallic nature makes me think it is something else. Has anybody else experienced this?

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,533 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum Drcder. :)

New vehicle, unexplained noise.... go immediately back to the dealer, ask to take a service tech on a short test drive with you so you can demonstrate the noise, get them to confirm it and agree to troubleshoot and resolve the cause.

None of us can hear your noise, and CRVs do have their own little set of odd noises that sometimes worry owners, and are nothing, and sometimes they are actually something in need of correction. So not much we can actually help with on strange noises that are not part of the normal set of "odd noises" that CRVs make and that are completely normal. :)

I would first advise though that you check your rear seats and cargo hold (particularly where the inflator kit and other accessories are stored) and make sure you don't simply have something rolling around that is supposed to be properly stored.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum Drcder. :)

New vehicle, unexplained noise.... go immediately back to the dealer, ask to take a service tech on a short test drive with you so you can demonstrate the noise, get them to confirm it and agree to troubleshoot and resolve the cause.

None of us can hear your noise, and CRVs do have their own little set of odd noises that sometimes worry owners, and are nothing, and sometimes they are actually something in need of correction. So not much we can actually help with on strange noises that are not part of the normal set of "odd noises" that CRVs make and that are completely normal. :)

I would first advise though that you check your rear seats and cargo hold (particularly where the inflator kit and other accessories are stored) and make sure you don't simply have something rolling around that is supposed to be properly stored.
Thanks for the quick response Williamsji, I have an appointment with the dealer; hopefully I can get it to repeat. The first time I took it in the service manager couldn’t find anything. I did record the noise later though.
The inflator compartment was the first place I looked but everything is tied down there and the noise occurs with a completely empty cargo area. It is not one of the other normal noises that iI read about in the other posts. If I get a resolution I’ll post the info here.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,533 Posts
Thanks for the quick response Williamsji, I have an appointment with the dealer; hopefully I can get it to repeat. The first time I took it in the service manager couldn’t find anything. I did record the noise later though.
The inflator compartment was the first place I looked but everything is tied down there and the noise occurs with a completely empty cargo area. It is not one of the other normal noises that iI read about in the other posts. If I get a resolution I’ll post the info here.
Good luck with the dealer finding the cause. Odd things like this are why it is important to try to repeat the issue with a dealer service tech in the vehicle while you take them on a short test drive with you to demonstrate. If you just leave it with them with a description of the issue, it ends up being a coin toss as they may not be able to replicate it on their own, or might not hear it since they do not know exactly what the sound is in advance unless you have it on a recording. Whereas you are familiar with the noise and roughly how it gets triggered.

Maybe they have speed bumps in their parking lots, or there is a parking lot nearby that does. If so, I would think if anything is not properly fastened down or there is an extra fastener rolling around somewhere from Assembly.... bouncing at slow speed over some speed bumps would make it sound off. :)

·
Registered
Crv Hybrid EX 2020
1 Posts
I’ve not had this problem with my 2020 hybrid, but with my previous CRV (diesel) I was plagued with a rattling noise from the rear which was caused by stones from my gravel driveway managing to get caught inside the coils of the rear springs.

I know this doesn’t sound like it would be terribly loud but it used to drive me crazy until they were cleared out. And they needed clearing out, because having found their way in there was no way they would exit by themselves.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
4,237 Posts
Problem solved :D The dealer found a FOD (foreign object debris) collar bolt in the right rear wheel well area. There couldn't have been much room for it to roll around hence the impression that it was rocking back and forth.
Sounds better than Boeing finding those empty tequila bottles in that 747. :)
Sure glad you got it straightened out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts