Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2014 CRV awd. I'd been waiting for a car for over a year and finding one that was in good condition with not too many miles and awd and everything was a challenge (they typically are either very new/lease returns or people keep them for well over 100k miles so that middle ground is tough). Finally found one so I went ahead and got it but the inside is uggglllyyy. Its a unattractive brown and tan but lots of bits are black (which is what I'd prefer). The dash kits all would actually replace the parts that are black and silver which im fine with and all the plastic vent parts and stuff are all black too. It needs heated leather seats anyway so I plan to do that so that will help a bunch with the yellowy-tan going on with the seats and door padding, but all the dash and plastics and door plastics that are brown are just not me at all and I'd like to have this car a long time and enjoy it! I've read about the paint that is flexible and you can spray on the plastics and someone commented on a forum that their car has had it 10 years and worked great. I know it would be loads of work but I honestly would be fine taking it all apart over a weekend, cleaning each piece and spraying it black, but I don't want to break anything during the process. Are there videos or some good instructions on how to do this? Thanks for any help!
Here it is all pretty :) I like the sporty black bits along the back and I'd love to give it that feel inside.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I would seriously advise against doing any of this. It's a lot of work, and I do mean a lot! And, while the paint will hold up fairly well, over time it will wear and the light color will show through a darker color. Then, re-doing it later would be difficult to match. Also, you run a serious risk of lowering/ruining the car's resale value. The heated leather seats will be prohibitively expensive as a project, as it would involve major wiring harness modifications, since cars without the option don't have the necessary wiring harnesses or controls, and the control modules are not there to support the option. You would have been better off waiting to find exactly what you wanted. Just accept what you have and enjoy it as is, or sell it and find another one like you want.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I agree with kloker that painting the plastic is not a good idea. And replacing all of the brown and beige pieces with black pieces would be expensive.

Katzkin makes leather seat covers in a variety of colors, including black, which can be installed in your CR-V.
But you would be looking at US $2,000 or more to have that done.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
405 Posts
I would suggest you wait awhile and see if it doesn't grow on you (or at least allow you to overlook these things).

In addition to enjoying my -V I'm partial to red heads, are you single <grin>?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I would seriously advise against doing any of this. It's a lot of work, and I do mean a lot! And, while the paint will hold up fairly well, over time it will wear and the light color will show through a darker color. Then, re-doing it later would be difficult to match. Also, you run a serious risk of lowering/ruining the car's resale value. The heated leather seats will be prohibitively expensive as a project, as it would involve major wiring harness modifications, since cars without the option don't have the necessary wiring harnesses or controls, and the control modules are not there to support the option. You would have been better off waiting to find exactly what you wanted. Just accept what you have and enjoy it as is, or sell it and find another one like you want.
You're over thinking the heated seats... If you go aftermarket seats, you just need a 12v supply. Switch won't be OEM but meh. As long as this car doesn't have air bags in the seats this would be easiest.

That said, pricey, but value proposition is a different question than the best way to do it.

As for trim, OP should check junk yards, maybe they can pull a color they like from a different interior color scheme?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I checked some junk yards and not really finding anything. So.... I'm thinking of finding another and trading this one in. I might be down a little $ flipping the car like this but in the end I think the difference will end up being the same as me trying to redo this and lots less work (and an exl will have a moonroof!). I won't have the title for like 6 weeks the dealership said so I may have to wait till then, though this one is just under 60k so I want to keep it under 60 for the trade. I'm not sure how it would work trying to trade it in with the title in limbo... I'll check with my cousin, he works with one of the major dealer companies and maybe he can find me a good deal and help me figure this out.

As for why we didn't wait longer. It had been many many months, we needed to get rid of our old truck that we took in to trade in and I needed something to drive and the dealer who got it specifically got it for me at auction not realizing the brown was a problem. I didnt care about to exterior color, its the interior I see when Im driving. So I went ahead and took it and figured I'd try to do the makeover but it sounds like it might just be a better idea to swap it.

Wrascal you are too funny. But no I'm not single sorry ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
You're over thinking the heated seats... If you go aftermarket seats, you just need a 12v supply. Switch won't be OEM but meh. As long as this car doesn't have air bags in the seats this would be easiest.

That said, pricey, but value proposition is a different question than the best way to do it.

As for trim, OP should check junk yards, maybe they can pull a color they like from a different interior color scheme?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I know the Honda CRV are all prewired for heated seats, so if you buy the seat heaters, they just put them in, plug them in, add the switch on the console, and your set.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts