Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received the 2019 Buying Guide from C.R. The CRV is rated as high in reliability ... low in infotainment system. but is recommended
It's also rated in 2018 guide as recommended.

·
Registered
265 Posts
But 8 bitter guys on a honda crv forum without CR subscriptions say otherwise!!! Lol
With Consumer Reports you earn points with a high cup holder count.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts

·
Banned
353 Posts
Just received the 2019 Buying Guide from C.R. The CRV is rated as high in reliability ... low in infotainment system. but is recommended
It's also rated in 2018 guide as recommended.
I'll be curious to hear from the many posters who TRASHED Consumer Reports in a recent thread.

Here are a few things that were said in an attempt to dismiss CR and their oil dilution articles...
- Some of us haven't trusted CR in decades.
- Consumer reports is nearly irrelevant nowadays.
- Yep I stopped subscribing about 5 years ago.
- For many in the trade CR is considered a bad joke.
- Do we really care what CR recommends? ...NO.
- Also, over the years some of their "top picks" in automobiles have gone on to be seen as real dogs.

So I assume we should dismiss this information as well?

The hypocrisy around here is hilarious.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I'll be curious to hear from the many posters who TRASHED Consumer Reports in a recent thread.

Here are a few things that were said in an attempt to dismiss CR and their oil dilution articles...
- Some of us haven't trusted CR in decades.
- Consumer reports is nearly irrelevant nowadays.
- Yep I stopped subscribing about 5 years ago.
- For many in the trade CR is considered a bad joke.
- Do we really care what CR recommends? ...NO.
- Also, over the years some of their "top picks" in automobiles have gone on to be seen as real dogs.

So I assume we should dismiss this information as well?

The hypocrisy around here is hilarious.
CR is IMO has been a worthless magazine to get current information from for almost a decade. Nothing about this article changes anything. They said the Gen 5 CRV was great from the get go. Then some people decided to create some fake news that said that they did not recommend the vehicle anymore. The only thing this post is once again proving is that the other post was just fake info. I don't think it has changed anybodies opinion about CR. Those that like it will keep on liking it and those that don't won't care about what they have to say either way.

I can pick up just about any car publication and the CR-V is at or near the top of their recommended SUV list. I don't need CR to validate my CR-V purchase.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I for one said that many of us in the industry don't use CR as a source for reliable information. That statement does not conflict in any way with the OP. Case in point: Just because they are not liked so much by some it does not mean they will not sometimes get things right. Its the old "even a blind dog finds a bone once in awhile" thing. You have to know that over the years CR has at times picked some real dogs and we in the industry remember that stuff. If you like CR, then follow their advice and believe in them.

The reason some of us don't use the recommendations of CR is their methodology. I mean they have given some cars bad ratings because their didn't like the way their "entertainment" systems worked. My point is quite simple, and I stick by it, CR uses their own metrics to determine what is good or bad. The items they pick to look at may not be the same ones I, or others, might use. So, I am not saying they are always wrong, just that some of us look at other sources that we know and trust better as they might use the criteria we would also use to pick a car. Personally I look at every source I can and then translate what they say based on how they rate.

The same can be said for many of the car magazines. Car and Driver sort of leans towards more sport type vehicles so they judge on things like handling and acceleration more than say usable space, things a family car buyer might be more interested in. I will take reliability and usability over acceleration any day! Also, I have no intentions of running my AWD Touring over an off-road course so how a vehicle does on the slick rock at Moab or or the Rubicon trail doesn't really matter much to me.

We all have our own bias. Its human nature. One of my students asked me in class once if I could have any car in the world what would be it? My class was disappointed when I answered. Rather saying something like a Ferrari or some exotic I replied: It would be reliable. If it did need repairs it would be easy to work on and have reasonably priced parts. It would get good gas mileage. It would hold a lot of stuff. It would handle safely. It would have good resale value. Gee, guess that is why I have two Honda's.

Use whatever source of information you want to make your call on a car, a toaster, whatever.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Iirc, CR said the CRV “entertainment” system sucked, but overall the car was great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use CR for reliability reports. They really dislike the Honda infotainment system but that is pretty subjective. I’m neutral on the infotainment system. It works, CarPlay is ok, and the music sounds good. All the controls I use are either on the steering wheel or I can use voice commands.

My first Honda was a ‘91 Accord. In 2009 gave it to a nephew and he drove it for 5 years before selling it for a couple hundred. He hated driving a stick! Currently own 4 Honda products and am quite happy with all. Dependable transportation.

I’ve owned some unreliable cars over the years but none of them were Honda’s. 2 VW models, a couple of GM products, a Mercury and a Jeep which was the worst of the bunch. The 2 VWs were money pits. GM and the Mercury were very forgettable.

Overall car quality has improved a lot over the years regardless of make and model but I would buy Honda or Toyota before anything else.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Amen to the overall reliability segments in CR, regarding cars. In general, seems like most, but not all, of "the domestics" still haven't caught on after many many years, regarding reliability. But hey, even a blind domestic auto manufacturer, once in a while, finds a bone.:Naughty:

When we were doing our four vehicle test drives, all four sales folks started out with pitching their fantastic "entertainment" systems. Before we drove off the dealership lots, for the test drives, I asked the sales person two questions.....does the radio play AM?.....and how do you turn it off? Once the radio was off, the wife and I proceeded with our test drives. When CR starts talking about "entertainment" systems, I move on to the next paragraph.....where the more important stuff (to me) is. Have never bought even one vehicle based on the "entertainment" system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts