Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a lot of research, I've come to find that there aren't many options for lift springs. Figured I'd start this thread for users to save themselves time searching like I have.

I've broken down your options by manufacturer, generation of V, size of lift and part number (part #'s in parenthesis) below.

Prices are essentially the same for each manufacturer = $162-167/pair.

(Note: Some manufacturers only make lift springs for the rear of some generations.)

Old Man Emu (OME) breakdown:
They seem to be easy to find in the states by simply googling: "old man emu" or "OME" & whichever part number you need, e.g. "2797". There's a few websites selling them which you can find this way.

Get 1: 1" lift front (2797) & rear (2798)
Gen 2: 0.75" in rear only (2538) Link to them
Gen 3 (2007 on): 1" front (2535) & 1" rear (2536)

Going directly to the OME (Australian based) website doesn't show anything for Hondas/CRVs. But if you follow my recommendations above, you'll find them at several websites in the states all for the same price. Verify before you buy, the expected height of lift associated with the spring you find because they can range from 3/4 - 1.5" of lift

Dobinson's US website doesn't mention anything about Honda, but their Australian website does. Here's a link to their springs catalogue.

Dobinson CRV spring breakdown:
CRV 2012+ Raised heavy duty: Front (C23-192), rear (C23-193) (not sure what a raised heavy duty CRV is but I'm interested!)
CRV 2012+ : Front (C23-194), rear (C23-195)
CRV RD '97-'01: Front (C23-072), rear (C23-073) - (they also offer stock and lower spring sizes for this model.)
CRV '01-'07: Front (C23-104), rear (C23-105) - (also offer stock and lowered springs.)
CRV RE '07+: rear only (C23-125) (rear only???!!!)

To order Dobinson springs, you have to identify the part # you want then call or email the US branch (in FL). Here's their contact link. You speak with the Australian branch through the US branch & I must say, he's exceptionally good about getting back to you.
-Apparently they're expecting a cargo ship to arrive in April 2016 stocking them with some. If you want them quicker (like I did), you can opt to pay $194 shipping from Australia. Just a heads up.

RockyRoad is a great source, but if you buy Dobinsons from them they're liable to refund your money and say they've had a hard time getting orders filled lately from them. Been there, done that. This could have changed since I spoke with them, so it might not still be the case, but a month ago, it was. RR's OME springs are another story.

RockyRoad's OME lift springs:
G1 ('97-'01) 1.75" lift front & rear
G2 ('02-'06) 1.5" lift rear only
G3 ('09-'11) 1.5" front & rear

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
There is a third company who makes lift springs for CRVs, Ironman.
here's their link

Ironman only for G1 ('97-'01):
40mm (1.5") lift front (HOND001B) and rear (HOND002B)

Here's a link to the ironman website listing both parts
I just submitted a request for pricing on the springs since it was not clear on their website. I will update here when I hear back.

The only differences not mentioned above is, probably the least important and it is color:
Dobinson = light blue
OME = black
Ironman = yellow

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Needless to say, this could be a lot easier in some cases, but they are definitely specialty items and as such seem to be a bit elusive. Most of these manufacturers are based deep in the Australian outback which I feel like demonstrates how rugged and heavy duty these items are and also makes getting in touch with a 16 hour time difference all the more difficult.

Reviews of all of the lift springs are very good with the upshot being that they far exceed performance and handling of OEM springs.

OMEs are considered to be very good, and depending on where you get them, they seem to be lifting 0.75-1.5" front & back & only in the rear for G2.

Ironman's price is unknown to me now, but they lift 1.5" front & rear for G1 only.

and Dobinson offers 1.5" lifts for front and rear of all models.

Having a G2, and wanting to lift my front and rear end, I had only one option, Dobinson. & I paid $200 for shipping to get them in a week rather than next April for a lower shipping cost.

So based on your generation CRV, you now know what your options are and how to get them.

I hope this helps.

Good luck & post pics of them when you do it!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Very nice write up and good I of, especially considering the small support for lifting a crv !
For gen 3, I am not sure if ome lift is 1" as rocky road lists it as 1.5 but other sites say 1"

Ther is another option - Colorado mountain rally. They have recently come up with coil springs for gen 3 which gives 2 inch lift. I am yet to hear anyone who has actually tried it.
They have had spacer lifts for a while for gen 1 and gen 2.
I am very keen on lifting my gen 3 but a little hesitant as I have hardly any info on lifted gen 3 in North america. Also cost is a factor, getting springs shipped to canda can be a pain with shipping costs and duty :( Hopefully one day it will happen

·
Registered
442 Posts
Colorado mountain rally also offers a coil over lift for gen2 now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw their G2 coilovers, but haven't seen any reviews. Also, the pic shows a different front strut assembly than exists on G2.5s. 2005-2006 CRVs have slightly different parts than other generations which makes finding aftermarket parts a huge pain. I'm sure their G2 coil-overs would work with 2002-2004's.

I have also heard some mixed reviews on CMR, like that they take forever to deliver packages & rarely respond to inquiries.

I decided against the spacer route, since it uses existing hardware and puts more stress on them. I know many who lift their CRVs go this route, but I feel like lifting with new heavy duty springs is the best way to do it. Also, they're actually more expensive than the springs. I am also using a small spacer for the rears to level out rear end sag by 1/2".

With original suspension and 190,000 miles on mine, I decided to do a full overhaul. I went with bilstein HDs because I heard they're some of the best struts available.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have heard the reviews about CMR too and it is difficult to get hold of them i.e. no phone no

Today I emailed sales at ARB Usa to check about springs 2535 and 2536 for Gen 3. I was surprised when I received a response in 15 mins from a purchasing manager at ARB.
He told me that the above mentioned springs provide a lift of around 20 mm which is less than 1 inch :( Dunno how Rocky Road lists the OME springs at 1.5 inch lift unless they have something specific for the australian market.

I looked up the cost of getting these to Canada thru a local ARB dealer here and it comes to around $520 CDN. I am thinking if it is worth it to spend $500 plus install for a lift of around 0.75 inches.
With slightly big tires my CRV has 7.5 inches of clearance today, with the OME lift it will be at around 8.3 inches

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'd say try & go bigger. You can lift up to 2" without over stressing your chasis. To go through the trouble of doing the suspension might as well double the 3/4" lift and go with 1.5".
Try calling RR to see what they have to say. I'm positive they really are 1.5" (40mm) lift with EMU just like they said. RR orders their springs directly from the manufacturers in Australia. They have agreements with them and keep in close contact. You can also go onto their website and put the springs in your cart to see what the cost of shipping is through them. If its around the same price, I'd say do that instead. It'll take a bit longer to arrive, but it'll be worth the wait.

$520!?!! I paid $200 shipping from Australia through Dobinson which was about the same price! I'm pretty shocked that ARB would charge that much. If you're going to do it, definitely go bigger.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of course, the other option is to contact Dobinson. Since you're in Canada, try contacting the main Australian headquarters (that's what I did initially). See what their shipping estimate is for you. I'm sure its no more than what mine was.
Here's their contact info:
[email protected]
[email protected]

While you're at it, try shooting EMU a message to see what their options (0.75, 1.5", 2"?) and shipping estimates are. They may refer you to ARB or RR but its worth seeing what they say.
Their link:
http://www.oldmanemu.com.au/contact-us/

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'd say try & go bigger. You can lift up to 2" without over stressing your chasis. To go through the trouble of doing the suspension might as well double the 3/4" lift and go with 1.5".
Try calling RR to see what they have to say. I'm positive they really are 1.5" (40mm) lift with EMU just like they said. RR orders their springs directly from the manufacturers in Australia. They have agreements with them and keep in close contact. You can also go onto their website and put the springs in your cart to see what the cost of shipping is through them. If its around the same price, I'd say do that instead. It'll take a bit longer to arrive, but it'll be worth the wait.

$520!?!! I paid $200 shipping from Australia through Dobinson which was about the same price! I'm pretty shocked that ARB would charge that much. If you're going to do it, definitely go bigger.
Thanks man, $520 is total cost with springs and shipping :) ...
let me check with rocky road if their springs are indeed 1.5 inches. Dobinson for some reason does not have springs for gen 3 ... they do have springs for gen 4 i.e. 2012 and on

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I got that. If $520 was just the shipping I'd tell them to F themselves. My point was that from the US, charging as much for shipping as it costs from Australia is pretty insane. Wait a minute, did you get the quote from ARB in Australia? That would make sense. Have you tried ARBUSA? Still 3/4", but if its still $200 shipping from US to CA, I'd say definitely price shipping for 1.5".

http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/accessorizeYourRig/hondaCRV.pdf
US branch contact:
[email protected]

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Better yet, they have an ARBCanada. http://www.arbcanada.com/#!__suspensions
Good luck though, their website seems a bit dodgy compared to the other ones, but definitely worth it for you to go through them. Also see if they can get the 1.5 inchers.

·
Registered
442 Posts
shipping cost is not much. Its the weak cdn $$ ... the cost of springs plus 13% tax here in canada comes to around 480 bucks. I checked on an ARB dealer website in canada and they said if I pick it up from their warehouse I save shipping costs :) which is like $30 !
and this is for the 2535 and 2536 springs that provide 20mm lift.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So I reached out to Rocky Road and they confirm that their OME springs provide 1.5 inch lift for the gen3. They are unable to comment on why OME/ARB lift springs sold elsewhere provide a lift of 1 inch only.
Also they mentioned that their front springs are wound in the same direction and will not fit if my CRV has inversely wound front springs !
This could be a problem as Honda crv front springs are usually inversely wound for better handling. I recollect another member here in this forum running into this issue after ordering springs from Rock Road.
Dobinson has nothing for model years 2007-2011 ... they seem to have skipped this gen altogether for some reason.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just installed new springs. I had them custom made in South Africa, they cost $100 for the pair, and seem to be just as good as new. I wonder if you could not just find a place where they make custom springs? I do not know in the US whether there are many places like that, but it would be worth the shot! I am sure they would be more expensive as the labour is higher, but it would probably not be as much as OME or somewhere like that I would guess?
Just an idea for those wanting to lift their CRV.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i recently installed new shocks for my honda crv. the mechanic threw the od shocks and now cant seem to adjust the new chocks to the proper hieght. can someone please help with the height of the shocks...or the proper adjustment.

thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
i recently installed new shocks for my honda crv. the mechanic threw the od shocks and now cant seem to adjust the new chocks to the proper hieght. can someone please help with the height of the shocks...or the proper adjustment.

thanks
I would love to help, but I would need to know a few details. Is your problem that the car is too low, or too high? I know at least on my CRV you can adjust the height some, but I would recommend taking it back to the mechanic who installed them if you are not happy.
I hope I can help!
Seth

1 - 20 of 49 Posts