Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I recently bought a 2008 UK Honda CRV EX model which was fitted with the original Alpine BB717PO Sat Nav CD FM radio.

I upgraded it to a new Joying Android system but I'm having a nightmare getting the new unit to communicate with the steering wheel control, even with the help of the supplier in China. They invited me to view the following video by Jason Firebird on the subject, (
) but I'm really none the wiser.

The original system used a green coloured 22 pin connector known as connector B, I've learned from other posts on the forum.

Pins 3, 12, 14, 16, 17 and 18 have no wires, the rest do.
Pins 4 and 5 carry 5 volts.
My multi-meter skills end there.

Would any kind soul happen to possess a wiring diagram for connector B?
If so, would they be willing to list a copy for sale on eBay?
They'd be saving an old man a lot of heartache.
If I provide the supplier with a wiring diagram they will make a harness for me.

Many thanks, Gordon.

The original

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Gordon,

I found your post while looking for information about connections on the factory sat nav unit in a UK Mk3 EX (Dad's after changing his for something with better FM and/or DAB support).

I don't know if you're still working on the steering wheel controls problem(?) - the only diagrams I've been able to find are for models of [about] the right generation but the wrong market (namely US), I dare say you've found the same before now - the layout of the 'with navigation' models looks to be the same, but in-car entertainment setups are often different over-the-pond and while the satellite (XM) radio connections appear to all be on connector E (the middle one of the three butted-up to each-other) I'm wary of assumptions.

The diagram I've seen for connector B (22P) is something of a mixed-bag when it comes to usefulness. I've re-drawn it so as to not post a perhaps copyright-iffy image here.

Pins are described:

1 - BLK - Aux jack assy. (AUX SGND)
2 - GRY - Aux jack assy. (AUX SHIELD GND)
3 - PNK - Aux jack assy. (AUX GND)

6 - BRN - Audio remote switch (AUDIO REMOTE GND)
7 - PNK - Audio remote switch (AUDIO REMOTE SW)

11 - WHT - Aux jack assy. (AUX L)
12 - RED - Aux jack assy. (AUX R)
13 - LT BLU - Aux jack assy. (AUX DET)

15 - BLK - Ground (G502)

20 - RED - Stereo amp. (AMP ON)

The first thing that becomes apparent is that the pin numbering on the diagram (described terminal side of male connector - so basically looking at the socket on the back of the head unit) differs to that embossed on the back of the plug you pictured (thanks Honda!), the next thing is that obviously you've got pins connected in places not described. After that though, it appears it might have some relevance in so far as the wiring colours match on the pins the diagram/your connector have in common.

Diagram position 6 would be your pin 5, and dia. pin 7 would be your pin 4; so it may well be the case that they are the steering wheel control pins.

So far I'm not certain the EX steering wheel controls aren't CANbus, I2C or something else like that, but information with units designed to replace the standard radio/CD receiver suggests they're resistive - in that case you could probably do a lot worse than connect your multimeter - set to measure resistance - to those two pins (black probe on the ground wire, red probe on the pink one), and see what happens when you press buttons on the steering wheel. If the resistance value changes when you press each button, they're probably the pins you're after.

I hope this has been of some use!

Best regards,

Rob.

PS> I'd be eternally grateful if you could share any more details about the head unit you've installed (model no., links etc.) - and/or any pictures or information you might have regarding the main ('A') connector - I see a lot of Android head units are sold to replace the radio/CD receiver, and I'm concerned the wiring may be different for a model with factory-fitted sat nav - for starters I'm not sure how much of the factory system on a UK-spec EX model is amplified - is it only the sub, or the whole system including door speakers(?) - I don't want to end up pushing 50W into the stock amp's line inputs!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a quick update...

I've now got concrete information on the pin-outs on a UK-spec EX model.

First of all, connector A (grey, 17P) is the same [IN THE UK!!!] on 2VNO nav units as on CD-receivers.

Second, the [!]UK SPEC[!] pin out on connector B (green, 22P) is as follows (numbered according to diagram above):

1 - BLK - Aux jack assy. (AUX SGND)
2 - GRY - Aux jack assy. (AUX SHIELD GND)
3 - PNK - Aux jack assy. (AUX GND)
4 - BLU - Subwoofer (Signal - )
5 - GRY - Subwoofer (Shield)
6 - BRN - Audio remote switch (AUDIO REMOTE GND)
7 - PNK - Audio remote switch (AUDIO REMOTE SW)
8 - n/c
9 - LT BLU - Hands Free Telephone control unit (MUTE)
10 - LT BLU - Hands Free Telephone control unit (SIG -)

11 - WHT - Aux jack assy. (AUX L)
12 - RED - Aux jack assy. (AUX R)
13 - LT BLU - Aux jack assy. (AUX DET)
14 - PNK - Subwoofer (Signal +)
15 - n/c
16 - n/c
17 - n/c
18 - LT GRN - Hands Free Telephone control unit (HFT ICON)
19 - n/c
20 - RED - Subwoofer (SW+B) [Remote/Relay-on]
21 - n/c
22 - BLU - Hands Free Telephone control unit (SIG +)

Best regards,

Rob.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad I found this post. I've recently bought a UK 2009 Honda CRV mk3 ES model. The bluetooth and reversing camera don't work, so figure it's either a blown fuse in the engine bay (23/29?) or the bluetooth module died and is causing the issues.
I intend to disconnect the troublesome BT module, once I find it lurking in the depths, and make it redundant by using an android stereo with bluetooth. I have purchased the cheap aftermarket unit android stereo but am now a bit stuck as to the best Connects2 adapter to buy to maximise compatibility with my steering wheel remotes.
The stereo I bought has it's own loom, so I'm thinking I'd need to wire these to an adapter myself, so looking to get a kit which takes the original connetions and maybe leaves bare ends to connect to the new loom, plus a wiring diagram if anyone as all the pin outs for the 2NV0 Sat Nav Stereo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Brettgilbert77 - Sorry I'm a bit slow to reply - busy time of year, eh!

There isn't much help in terms of off-the-shelf wiring adapters for a UK-spec EX (with 2VNO sat nav); the vast majority of stuff available (and indeed the harness adapter which came with our CRV-specific Android unit) is for non-EX models with standard CD-receiver. The big problem there is that the secondary connetor is physically different (they have a 20P connector where an EX has a 22P connector (the green one pictured above)).

The only company I've seen which does anything with the 22P connector, is InCarTec, they do a harness adapter which converts Honda OEM wiring connectors to standard ISO type, and includes an interface for the steering wheel controls on the 22P connector. It's shown here: InCarTec 2VNO harness adapter .

Actually we didn't bother with one of those. The Android unit we got was supplied with a harness adapter which after checking I found was pin-compatible on the main connector, so there was only steering wheel controls, and ideally subwoofer to sort out. I'm not sure what the black box inline on the InCarTec adapter is all about, since el-cheapo Android units are quite happy to use the resistive switching the standard unit does - so in most cases it's just a case of connecting the wires correctly; and from what I can see it doesn't provide any extra connectivity for the subwoofer - which would of course be nice. I decided it wasn't worth £33 for a still less-than-ideal solution.

I went shopping around trying to find a corresponding connector for the green 22P plug, and even considered asking if InCarTec might be able to point me in the right direction, but while I was looking at it, I noticed the pins looked suspiciously like they're 0.1" pitch. Long story short, they are; so with about £2's worth of project components I had knocking around - the prototype board and pin headers - I knocked this together. It ain't pretty, but it gives flying leads to which I can crimp the steering wheel control leads from the head unit's harness, the same for sub remote power, and an RCA connector for the subwoofer audio - all without splicing anything on the car's harness. (I had to slide the pins through the black retaining piece so they were a little longer on the contact side before soldering, and then just shoved it in the green plug with a big cable tie holding it in.)

As you look at the picture, the connections on the left hand side are from a chopped-off phono cable, the two on the right on the top side are the steering wheel controls (the silver wires are just bits of single core acting as cable ties), and the one below that is the sub remote power. I was tempted to add the connections for the aux socket in the centre console, but with Bluetooth streaming on the head unit (plus SD cards, DAB) we decided it wasn't worth the extra faff. As I say, it's not pretty, but it works like a charm; and it's certainly nice to retain the sub :)

Rob.

EDIT: P.S. > The factory Bluetooth gadget on ours was located down-and-to-the-right from the A/C controls - you can just about get your fingers to the connector to disconnect it by removing the trim to the left hand side of the [UK] driver's legs (those plastic screw-out trim clips).

diyplug.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello!
I bought a CRV EX with the original Alpine BB717PO Nav CD FM system. Two weeks ago I order a new unit 4+64GB Android 8.1 Car Multimedia Player(Joying). The Chinese seller said it will fit with my OEM steering wheel control. But later he texts me and he said: B6 is your car steering wheel control ground wire, connect with Joying GND wire.B7 is your car steering wheel control wire, connect with Joying KEY1 or KEY2. I believe it will be ok. I want to ask if you can still use the voice commands? My next problem will be if I will need to connect the Subwoofer to the unit.
I can't test everything now because here it is too cold to work outside and I will wait for spring to come. Congrats Faction One for your gadget.Good to know.
my central console with Alpine unit. HONDA CRV 2009.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts