Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've got a CRV newbie question. While not new to Honda, currently have a 2012 Pilot EX-L for the wife, and have had an 05 Oddy, and an 02 accord, I have not had a CRV. My last personal vehicle was an 2000 vw Jetta tdi that clocked over 360K before I sold it and it is still going strong. My replacement for that was a 2011 Subaru outback that has given me fits over the past 6 months, and I am ready to let it go. So, I am looking for a vehicle that gets decent millage (80+mile commute round trip)
all wheel drive (NE Wisconsin) and the ability to get into my hunting spots. I know the CRV doesn't have the best ground clearance, but it should be good enough for where I go. Also, I can add a 2" hitch for bike rack/hitch haul. I could actually live with a civic, but the trailer hitch option is a kicker.

Are there any particular things that I should look for on the 12-16 MY's (thinking of a 14-15 with 30K)? Anything to stay away from? Maintenance wise, how often do you have to do bushing/wheel bearings/ect..... On my Accord/Oddy, we only kept them for 100K, but they were trouble free miles. Jetta needed bushing typically every 100-120K, redid wheel bearings on it once through out its life. but still had original clutch/exhaust/and other things. Subbie's harmonic balance let loose at 75K, wheel bearing at 80K. I dont recall ever hearing of a honda having these types of issues. Brother inlaw had an oddy that went 320K with nothing major.

Any tips/info/or links to similar threads would be appreciated. I didn't see to much, but I do miss things. :D

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's not really a secret that the '15s had vibration issues of varying degrees. Some had it while idling, some had it while driving, some both. Make sure you take any 15s and 16s for a test drive under highway and stationary conditions to check for this. There was an update the 16s came out with on this issue that owners of 15s had the option to do, so see if it was done. I have an idle vibration in my '15 that I didn't find to be a big deal, but they cover it under warranty so I'm getting it done for the sake of a potential next owner.

I honestly can't speak about long-term maintenance, as I only have 16k miles on mine over a year and a half, but it's been good to me so far. The AWD with good snow tires will get you through most conventional snowfalls (speaking as someone in Fort Frances north of you), though I'd be careful with any off-roading in dicey conditions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. No real off roading, just want the ability to pull into the ditch, or some unplowed parking areas. Most places I could get my Jetta into with good snow tires, just don't like scraping the bottom. :D

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
My 2013 that I bought new has been an amazing vehicle for 36K miles. I have the occasional VTC actuator rattle that doesn't bother me nor is it causing any damage. We just drove it from VA to TX and averaged 34 MPG's loaded down at 75 MPH.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I am near 27,000 miles on our '15 CR-V Ex-L Fwd with no issues. All good. Gas mileage range is 28-36 depending on many factors. I like the engine/cvt transmission a lot. Handles good in all situations. Lots of storage space. Roomy passenger area for this segment size vehicle. I find it fun to drive. Certainly all Hondas could be quieter in the cabin. And yes, I would buy another one.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have a 16 EX-L AWD that just turned 24,000 miles. I bought it almost a year ago with 6,800 miles on it (the elderly couple couldn't adjust to such a small car). It is smooth and has had no issues at all and my overall average since I got it (I set the 2nd trip meter and left it) has been 29.3. I would recommend the car and especially the CVT to anyone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. I have been very happy with my current Honda, and previous others. If I can get what I need out of my current vehicle, I will be upgrading to either a 2014 crv or civic. Either will work, but the CRV fits my needs a little better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have been very happy with my current Honda, and previous others. If I can get what I need out of my current vehicle, I will be upgrading to either a 2014 crv or civic. Either will work, but the CRV fits my needs a little better.
Good luck with whichever vehicle you end up choosing. Starting with 2015 Honda changed the transmission to a CVT. 2012-2014 come with the 5 speed automatic. If you end up with a 2014 CR-V, I would be on top of the automatic transmission fluid drain and refill intervals. Just make sure to stick with the OEM Honda transmission fluid (DW-1) and change the crush washer. The CVTs are fairly new and use an entirely different fluid, so I am not familiar with their service interval. Since you currently own and have owned Hondas in the past, you probably already know this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good luck with whichever vehicle you end up choosing. Starting with 2015 Honda changed the transmission to a CVT. 2012-2014 come with the 5 speed automatic. If you end up with a 2014 CR-V, I would be on top of the automatic transmission fluid drain and refill intervals. Just make sure to stick with the OEM Honda transmission fluid (DW-1) and change the crush washer. The CVTs are fairly new and use an entirely different fluid, so I am not familiar with their service interval. Since you currently own and have owned Hondas in the past, you probably already know this.
Yup, got the service interval down on the Auto Trans. If I go the Civic route, it would be the manual trans. Love to Row my own.

Anyways, thanks for all the input, comments on your experiences with the CR-V. I just pretty much want a vehicle that will go for the long haul, (250-350K) if maintained correctly, these should. I don't mind replacing parts, but not at 65-80K.

·
Registered
43 Posts
CR-Vs have always had a consistent history of pretty much bullet-proof reliability, and a lot of that is the Honda K series 4 cylinder engine itself.
That being said, the only thing to look for is the VTC actuator, but hopefully they'll get to the bottom of that and figure out what's going on.
Depending upon how much "off roading" you're doing, it's not the greatest choice for that, but I'd wager most crossovers sold in the U.S. never go off road anyway.
A Jeep product would be better, but then again, it doesn't have Honda reliability.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My "off-roading" is limited to pulling into a ditch to get off the road, and some parking areas during our long bow season, usually a dirt road, but once the snow flies, they are not plowed, and then you might want a shovel to get thru the plowed pile of snow ? 95% of my use is as a commuter car. Civic would be better suited for most of what do, but that 5% is something I need to account for. My subbie is a good combo for what I wanted, but didn't have the reliability that they are talked up for. Crv gets better mileage for the years I'm looking at.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If all goes well, I'll be pulling the trigger on a white 14 lx awd with about 35K on this week. Will know for sure tomorrow. :). Time to get some aftermarket rims for it. Dealer for some reason thought the steel rims look better with a chrome paint on them. Yuk, plastic dip and they will be good for a set of snow tires.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
If all goes well, I'll be pulling the trigger on a white 14 lx awd with about 35K on this week. Will know for sure tomorrow. :). Time to get some aftermarket rims for it. Dealer for some reason thought the steel rims look better with a chrome paint on them. Yuk, plastic dip and they will be good for a set of snow tires.
Let's hope it goes well, so you can join the CRV family! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Stay away from 2015. Unless you feel very lucky. Check 2015 vibration issues on YouTube.
I have several friends who have 2015s and none of them has had any vibration issues and are happy with their vehicles. Isn't it amazing how computers and social media can exaggerate everything out of proportion?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts