Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to get a little input from you guys. For a little while now my wife and I have been thinking about getting a 19 CRV touring. She has also been looking at the new passports in a touring trim. Still have two more months before we need to make a decision on which one we want. My biggest question is regarding the CRV’s is there any positive information out lately about the oil issues? Basically has there been any updates showing that the fixes are really working based on people’s feedback just wanted to get a little input from you guys. For a little while now my wife and I have been thinking about getting a 19 CRV touring. She has also been looking at the new passports in a touring trim. Still have two more months before we need to make a decision on which one we want. My biggest question is regarding the CRV‘s is there any positive information out lately about the oil issues? Basically has there been any updates showing that the fixes are really working based on people‘s feedback ? I’ll probably follow up on this question in a couple months when we get closer to making up our minds but I’m trying to just weigh the pros and the cons of whether even go down that road with the CRV. We live in South Carolina so the weather is not really of any concern but I just don’t like the idea of purchasing a vehicle that’s reputation has been damaged

·
Registered
117 Posts
I will say No...it’s purely a crapshoot at this point whether a CR-V with 1.5L Turbo will have the issue. We have it on both 2017 EX-L and 2018 Touring. We also live in very warm climate (New Orleans...it’s about 78 dog today) and make no “Short trips”. Fuel continues to build up. The 2018 has fluid level on dipstick almost 1/2 inch above the orange plastic piece and Maintenance Minder is at 80% !!!!!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just want to get a little input from you guys. For a little while now my wife and I have been thinking about getting a 19 CRV touring.....
Keep in mind that the 2019 CRVs are the same as the 2018 with the "fix" applied at the factory. There are many who say that the fix helped and there are many who say that it did not. So take your guess. You may be lucky or maybe not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To this point that’s my thought. But it’s 2019 and no modern car should be a gamble like this. You should never have to “wait” for a car to heat up etc. 20 years ago yes. Today totally unexceptable. If Honda has just been more transparent and open people would not be sitting around speculating. It’s actually quiet interesting just how many crvs are just sitting on so many of my local Honda lots.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Ask yourself an important question: If you decide to purchase the CRV, and you end up with heating and/or dilution problem, how's that going to impact you? Is it going to be an annoyance to live with, or are you going to continually berate yourself over it? Live is too short to have anxiety over a vehicle.

I'm one of the lucky ones without these problems, and I absolutely love my vehicle, but due to the stance of American Honda on this issue, I wouldn't recommend it. If Honda is forced to deal with this problem, I expect a less than generous action to extend the vehicle warranty to 100,000 miles. I bought a Honda because I expected to get much more than 100,000 miles. Who really knows what's down the line for this generation of CRV?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Keep this in mind:

Honda has been treating their customers like trash with this oil dilution fiasco. They have arbitrarily redefined a major problem as "normal" for this vehicle and have decided not to deal with any owner issues since the update.

Is this a company that deserved your business?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree that have been handling this all wrong. I guess the difference with me is whatever car I get I Know I’m only going to keep it for three or four years and it on likely never even see 50,000 miles. I just like buying things that when I’m done with them I can get the most out of them in terms of depreciation, even with this issue Honda cars still hold some good residual value. No I’m only going to keep it for three or four years and you don’t likely never even see 50,000 miles. I just like buying things that when I’m done with them I can get the most out of them in terms of depreciation, even with this issue Honda cars still hold some good residual value. At least even if I buy a passport in three or four years I should still be able to get a decent amount of money out of it. Just about any other midsize SUV I won’t get the same return

·
Registered
415 Posts
RDX is beautiful, its the luxury version of the CRV, if I had the extra $$, I would have bought the RDX, I was one of the many lucky ones, absolutely no issue with my 17 CRV ex

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For some reason the last few years I have just not been a fan personally of the Acuras. To be honest you hardly ever see very many on the road anymore. Except the older ones. I have a friend that works In The automobile design industry ( One of those think tank automobile marketing companies in Detroit ) and speculation is Acura will not be around 10 years down the road. It’s very possible we’re all going to see a lot of restructuring similar to what GM had to do when their brand got over bloated a few years ago and they had to cut Brands.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,780 Posts
As others have mentioned, if you are willing to shop the Passport, you owe it to yourself to cross shop with the RDX. Hopefully you'll share you thoughts on them.

That said, I love the Honda V6 engine (which the last gen RDX also had) and aim to test drive both the Passport and Pilot next time I'm at the dealer for a service. They are similar but very different.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He works for Honda America in CA. He does marketing for them. He was also that one that told me the CRV right now would be a crapshoot. He too agrees that this issue in regards to the PR side of it should be handed differently but thats over his head.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Honda Passport was an absolute swing and a miss. They had a chance to break from the bland exterior and interior styling and amenities.

It is just a shortened and 'taller' Pilot with extra black plastic. The Passport and Pilot interior is a joke. The seats are short, the layout isn't user-friendly and who wants armrests? Does the Pilot have 360 camera yet? I may have missed it on the 19's but it wasn't there for a while.

The Pilot and the MDX need a refresh coming soon. MDX more so but the Pilot just seems severely dated already, and that's what happened in the early 2000's with the Pilot. It became real dated, real fast.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The Honda Passport was an absolute swing and a miss. They had a chance to break from the bland exterior and interior styling and amenities.

It is just a shortened and 'taller' Pilot with extra black plastic. The Passport and Pilot interior is a joke. The seats are short, the layout isn't user-friendly and who wants armrests? Does the Pilot have 360 camera yet? I may have missed it on the 19's but it wasn't there for a while.

The Pilot and the MDX need a refresh coming soon. MDX more so but the Pilot just seems severely dated already, and that's what happened in the early 2000's with the Pilot. It became real dated, real fast.

The Pilot interior is great, layout is 100% user friendly and I love the drivers seat center armrest

·
Registered
415 Posts
Accura's specially the new RDX awd and the MDX are very popular here in Southern Cal. I see them everywhere, almost as much as the CRV's

Pilot is awesome, very roomy and exquisite inside. In fact, it is too big for me, (its just me and my wife now) don't like the mpg though.

Like you said, you see a lot of old Acura's, that just mean they last long. It is a big plus as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It won't last long. The CR-V ditched it . A lot of SUV's are ditching armrests for center consoles. Especially a larger SUV and at a higher price point, armrests cheapen it. The seatbacks are way too short for a 3 row suv. They are comfortable but even my wife's shoulders went past the top.

I remember when I was laughed at on the Pilot forums for passing on the Pilot for not having a volume knob in 2018. I said a lot of people want it and the Pilot interface is too laggy to not have one. Was told consumers don't make purchase decisions on a volume knob. Then look what 2019 brought. MDX sales are steadily declining and January for the Pilot was one of the lowest sales month in the last 5 years.

·
Registered
447 Posts
It won't last long. The CR-V ditched it . A lot of SUV's are ditching armrests for center consoles. Especially a larger SUV and at a higher price point, armrests cheapen it. The seatbacks are way too short for a 3 row suv. They are comfortable but even my wife's shoulders went past the top.

I remember when I was laughed at on the Pilot forums for passing on the Pilot for not having a volume knob in 2018. I said a lot of people want it and the Pilot interface is too laggy to not have one. Was told consumers don't make purchase decisions on a volume knob. Then look what 2019 brought. MDX sales are steadily declining and January for the Pilot was one of the lowest sales month in the last 5 years.
Glad to hear you like the MDX, the 2019 Pilot has a volume control knob....not sure why your so concerned about the Pilot since you don't own one

1 - 20 of 50 Posts