Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Passport looks awesome, but is more than I wanted to spend, hence a 17 LX AWD, CPO at that. Other than a glitch with the SRS warning light, I'm happy with the decision.

·
Read Only
217 Posts
The Pilot interior is great, layout is 100% user friendly and I love the drivers seat center armrest
I am very happy with my 2012 Pilot. The interior is very nice. I like the storage space in my Pilot; I think Honda does a good job in that area. I am 6' 2" tall and find the seats comfortable. The only nick I'd give it is the steering wheel should be able to be pulled out further. With long legs, I have the seat adjusted for them which keeps the steering wheel just a little farther away than I'd like. Other than that, I really like it. I like the boxy style, but don't care so much for the style of the newer Pilots.

In looking at the Passport on the website, I can say I definitely do not like the idea of having to look down and find a small button on the center console in order to shift gears. I really like the location of the gear shift lever in my Pilot. Gear shift levers can be manipulated without taking one's eyes off the road; no so with buttons on a center console.

I also want knobs and buttons for functions, climate control, radio, CD library, etc. not a touch screen. It is no wonder there are so many accidents with distracted drivers; the idea of a touchscreen to operate the most basic controls is absolutely ridiculous, not to mention inherently dangerous. I can't imagine trying to reach a small icon on a center dash-mounted touchscreen on a bumpy road. Looking for and manipulating icons on a highway at 65 or 75 mph is nothing more than an accident waiting to happen. The current issue of 'Popular Mechanics' has an excellent article about the terrible design of having to use touchscreens for so many functions.

The touchscreen is necessary for several functions on my wife's CR-V and I would much prefer it were not. Still, my wife loves the car and it has had no problems of any kind so far.

As to a mention of 360 degree camera, yes, they are nice. However, when I get into my '57 Pontiac and realize how great the greenhouse is -- I can see very well in all directions -- I realize how useful being able to see out in all directions is. Having started driving in the 50s, I learned how to backup without a camera. Of course, so many cars today do not have good greenhouses and it is difficult to see outside very well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purchased a 2018 CRV LX in November of 2018. As I have stated before, because of this forum and comments on the O/D, I decided to get the lower trim without turo. I have been very pleased wwith the LX, it does not have all the bells and whistles of the upper trim, but I do not have to worry about the engine. Wife and I are very satisfied with the LX thus far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2018 CRV touring with 1400 miles on it. I have brought it in several times for oil dilution and gas smell. After the dealer applied the so called fix, the issue seems worse. In 200 miles of driving , still have a heavy gas smell and clearly significant oil dilution. Hope this info helps you. Going back to dealer again. Live in New York.
bobm

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2017 CRV Touring AWD with 45K on it. I have had absolutely no problems with it. Just finished a 1500 mile road trip. Loved it on the road. Did great in a cross-wind. My son is 6'2"tall and had plenty of leg room in back seat. I have the 1.5L turbo which ran flawlessly. I averaged 30 MPG on the trip.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
My last Honda buy was a 2014 CRV, it will be my last CRV since the only transmission you can get now is a CVT in the CRV. I am not a cvt fan at all. A very marginal transmission at best. This transmission is all about profits and very little to do with longevity and quality. I would check out the new Passport for sure, it has a tried and true 3.5L V6 with plenty of HP, and a 9 speed auto trans. Has a decent towing ability as well.
I thought the same thing about a CVT until I drove and then bought a 2016 EX-L. Ig doesn't act like a typical CVT and they have proven to be very reliable. I have 51,000+ on my CRV now and I prefer the CVT. You can set the cruise and the speed remains constant on upgrades regardless of how steep the grade gets. The speed remains the same but the engine speed changes. It will also downshift itself on steep downgrades.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
164 Posts
I thought the same thing about a CVT until I drove and then bought a 2016 EX-L. Ig doesn't act like a typical CVT and they have proven to be very reliable. I have 51,000+ on my CRV now and I prefer the CVT. You can set the cruise and the speed remains constant on upgrades regardless of how steep the grade gets. The speed remains the same but the engine speed changes. It will also downshift itself on steep downgrades.
I'm in the same camp. I had read a number of reviews about a variety of vehicles where the CVT's received a lot of negative comments. I purchased a 2016 EX-L with a CVT and I have no issues or complaints regarding the transmission's function.

When the time comes for my next vehicle I won't rule out the CVT but I would have no issue with a traditional automatic or stick in the right vehicle. I really like the looks of the Passport although I realize that I would be spending a touch more for gas.

·
Registered
240 Posts
When the time comes for my next vehicle I won't rule out the CVT but I would have no issue with a traditional automatic or stick in the right vehicle. I really like the looks of the Passport although I realize that I would be spending a touch more for gas.
The move to CVT is because they offer slightly (~6%) improved gas mileage and are less expensive to make (versus traditional transmissions). Accordingly, you may be hard pressed to find a traditional car transmission in the not too distant future.

So far I really don't mind my CRV's CVT - but if it fails that opinion will obviously change. Fortunately, I've heard that (so far) Honda's CVTs have a decent reputation (unlike Nissan). But I don't know that they have been on the road long enough to really know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I think i have decided on the Passport. As to some peoples comments about the fuel difference, i've never been bothered buy that. My thought was always if you cant afford to put fuel in the car and maintain it etc, then you dont need it. I have quote a few vehicles and cant say i have ever made a purchase based on fuel costs.

Just sounds like too many variables for the CRV right now. Besides like i mentioned in the beginning its not like the car will every see alot of miles i just like being able to sell them in a few years with as small deprecation as possible.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.