Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Rubbing when turning? Toe in correct?
Sometimes one side clearance is different than the other or turning radius varies.
Is it a substitute size according to Honda ? That tire size recommended for the with of the rims ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's hard to say without being able to see, but start by checking rubbing side control arm mounting and ball joint for play. Bushings not like later models that break apart, fairly indestructible. Does car track nicely or have pull? Also, are wheels centered in fenders looking from the side? Many times accident damage repairs cause issues. Many people replace the obvious and miss the subframes being bent. Hard to see but for the shifted wheels, look closely. Another indicator is loosening subframe bolts one at a time and seeing if bolts are bent. Also, witness marks close by, where bolt heads used to be on subframe. Lastly, look to see if entire subframe has shifted to one side, there are alignment marks by rear bolts. Just a note, there are no toe in settings on front wheel drive cars, only toe out. Driven wheels pull in under load. Good luck, let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
First I would think to ask is this size tire a valid option on vehicle. I haven't seen anyone else post they are running this size tire at all let alone successfully. Seems not to be a Honda recommended size for it. So before trying to troubleshoot some problem possibly created by just wrong size tires, verify if they are or not an option with stock rims.

Who sold the tires? They make a mistake or what was requested? get money back and go with 70 series that some members are running. Only about an inch different in height..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's hard to say without being able to see, but start by checking rubbing side control arm mounting and ball joint for play. Bushings not like later models that break apart, fairly indestructible. Does car track nicely or have pull? Also, are wheels centered in fenders looking from the side? Many times accident damage repairs cause issues. Many people replace the obvious and miss the subframes being bent. Hard to see but for the shifted wheels, look closely. Another indicator is loosening subframe bolts one at a time and seeing if bolts are bent. Also, witness marks close by, where bolt heads used to be on subframe. Lastly, look to see if entire subframe has shifted to one side, there are alignment marks by rear bolts. Just a note, there are no toe in settings on front wheel drive cars, only toe out. Driven wheels pull in under load. Good luck, let us know what you find.
These are wider than stock tires ? On same rims?
Yes

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will upload photo for you to see

·
Registered
17 Posts
First I would think to ask is this size tire a valid option on vehicle. I haven't seen anyone else post they are running this size tire at all let alone successfully. Seems not to be a Honda recommended size for it. So before trying to troubleshoot some problem possibly created by just wrong size tires, verify if they are or not an option with stock rims.

Who sold the tires? They make a mistake or what was requested? get money back and go with 70 series that some members are running. Only about an inch different in height..
I've definitely run 215/75/15s on a stock RD1 without issue, even at full crank and older suspension. Only thing I did was hammer in the pinch welds in the wheel well because those could rub on serious terrain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A couple of things might do the trick. Those tires should fit, so your suspension might be a little saggy and that's why there's a rub. So you could either work on that, or put in some puck / space lifts, just a half inch would probably do it as a cheap fix.

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
348 Posts
I'm running a 225/75/R15 (wider/taller tire) and had very little rubbing noise. First and foremost, is the suspension stock/original?? If so, it's plenty tired and should be corrected. My main source of contact was the L/F inner fender liner at the top.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts