Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
15 Posts
Without being there to look at it, i would say it is a bent control arm. Sometimes it is very hard to tell by even looking close at the control arm. About all you can do is look at the other side as a reference and see if something is obviously bent. Could be knuckle, could be upper or lower control arm bent, or could be frame. If you don't see anything obvious i would try upper arm first and go from there. Measure from front and back side of tire to wheelwell and see if new upper arm makes a difference. In the shop we would just replace the entire "knee" assembly. Which is upper and lower control arms and knuckle all together from junkyard. If that doesn't do it then frame is bent or shifted. Start with new or junkyard upper arm. They are cheap.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
If one is readily accessible to you, take it to a frame and alignment shop. Most likely will not be a drive-in drive-out single day job. They should be able to tell you definitively whether you have any bent suspension parts, or if your frame is bent.

·
Registered
1997 AWD CR-V
62 Posts
I don’t believe it’s the tires. I just mounted the same size to mine on stock rims last week. I do feel a little extra play in the driver side front wheel but I assume it’s a busted bushing. Taking wheels off this weekend to investigate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks everyone. I will have a closer look and use other side as reference to find out properly. Thanks and will keep you all updated.

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
15 Posts
Looking closer, it seems like the passenger side is pushed back. Not sitting in the middle of the wheelwell. You would think that is the side rubbing the wheelwell, but you said it was driver side. Very strange. I would be interested to see what caster is. Maybe something is bent on passenger side and allowing that side to clear. When did this rubbing start? After offroading, or putting those tires on? Either way the driver side seems centered, passenger doesn't

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Looking closer, it seems like the passenger side is pushed back. Not sitting in the middle of the wheelwell. You would think that is the side rubbing the wheelwell, but you said it was driver side. Very strange. I would be interested to see what caster is. Maybe something is bent on passenger side and allowing that side to clear. When did this rubbing start? After offroading, or putting those tires on? Either way the driver side seems centered, passenger doesn't
[/QUOTE

John Taper, it's right hand drive...

·
Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
45 Posts
Are those 4 bolts I see on those rims? 👀 The heck is going on there? Looks like you have aftermarket rims with some kind of combination wheel adapters/spacers. That might be effecting your backspacing/offset and ultimately causing the rubbing (possibly). I am running 215/75R15 on the stock steel rims with no rubbing issues that I have noticed so far but only driven a couple hundred miles in short easy trips on pavement.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Welcome to the forum. :).
Please do all these things safely. At your own risk.
Check wheel bearing while at it and ball joints as well.
Also check the upper control arm and its ball joint.
1 Lift truck. And use jackstands
2 have someone look at ball joints and suspension bushings while you wiggle(hard) the tire from side and up and down. grab tire at the sidewall edge.
The lower and upper control arm are harder to see damage unless you can physically see the bushings cracked and broken. If you have an engine oil leak and engine oil soaked the LCA bushings they will look like new but chances are they absorbed the oil and will get soft but look like new. If that is the case with truck on the floor( again, someone outside looking at tire for excess movement ) try driving forward and reverse just a few inches or a feet. Give it a kind of hard bake. If the tire it looks like the tire stops but the truck rolls a few inches the LCA bushings are bad. Best visual would be a yt video showing how to diagnose bad lca bushing or suspension components.
Gl
I replaced all three bushings of LCA but the issue remains. I think I'll just have the LCA replace.

·
Registered
158 Posts
At this point I would start looking for any sign of damage in the whole front end.
Suspension / steering parts are the only things that would throw off that much the toe. Aside from chassis damage. I hope is not chassis the h frame can be replaced. The unibody is not.

remove outer tie rod ends from the knuckle.and see if the tire roll front an inch or so. Measure the distance from rear of tire to the fender. Before and after. If its rolls forward the rack and pinion is not set right.
Count the threads number from inner tie rod toward outer tie rod end usually they are the same or very very close..

BTW Arudlang thats some nice observation.
I have a set of enkei rajin that would like to use in the V but its 4 studs. I wonder how it was done.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Are those 4 bolts I see on those rims? 👀 The heck is going on there? Looks like you have aftermarket rims with some kind of combination wheel adapters/spacers. That might be effecting your backspacing/offset and ultimately causing the rubbing (possibly). I am running 215/75R15 on the stock steel rims with no rubbing issues that I have noticed so far but only driven a couple hundred miles in short easy trips on pavement.
This is the problem. It's the extra offset of the spacers causing the wheels to not sit properly in the wheel wheel. I'm running a 225/75R15 on stock wheels with very minimal rub. Added 1in spacers to the front and it's way more noticeable now.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
231 Posts
Yeah, there should be 5 bolts on each wheel. Toss these wheels and whatever adapters are attaching them to the car. Put stock wheels on (steel or alloy) and see where that gets you. It would be dumb if you put all this money and labor into the car when the only problem was your non-Honda wheels.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts